Sawgrass Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 886 students

Posted May 24, 2014

Sawgrass is the best. It is a friendly family environment. My kids skip to school. They love it. I love the administrators. They are always available to answer questions and greet the kids in the morning. They greet the kids by their first names- wow! They certainly know their kids. The teachers are awesome. Education is second to none. I can't tell you how happy we (the parents) are with this school. I have a 4th and 2nd grader. I know my oldest son will be sad to leave Sawgrass- since he has been there since K. It is our home away from home. Thank you for making my kids enjoy and love school. You are all simply amazing!

Posted February 12, 2014

Best school in Broward County- hands down to them. My kids have blossomed academically and I feel they are safe and well taken care of. I love the administrators, teachers, and all staff members. I think this is the prettiest school in the entire county. It is clean and has beautiful gardens throughout the school. My kids love the IPads and applications. It is such a pleasant environment. Our experience at the school has been extremely positive and I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 8, 2014

The school is horrible I had been there for 3 years and I've been bullied and I never got recess and the were on their phone non stop and never teach also there were bad words everywhere and the principal did nothing than looking cool.

Posted December 2, 2013

TERRIBLE SCHOOL !! My daughter went to sawgrass elementary for 6 years ( kindergarten to 5th grade) And it was the worst. * Even if she didn't buy lunch she still would see her friends eat pizza that was burnt TERRIBLE SCHOOL LUNCH * The bathrooms are a MESS some bathrooms don't even have a lock!! *The school is way too proud of themselves *Fundraisers are a gimmick and they are trying to empty out the child's pockets *Some teachers just go on theyre IPhone while kids do work and don't even learn MOST TERRIBLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!

Posted July 24, 2013

I would not recommend this school to others in my community. The administration is underhanded and definitely not open to all parental involvement. There are lists of parents allowed in for events. While for the most part the teachers my children have had are competent, there are various areas in which the school is lacking. Recess is not given every day, even though the administration tells you otherwise; but if you ask the kids they tell you that there is little to no recess. There is a huge void in communication with parents, and when things do come home they are often late( the event has passed or with one day notice) misspelled and mention the principal's name repeatedly. Spanish is offered as a special once a week for a half hour which is pointless;children cannot learn a foreign language in that amount of time.The money could be better spent elsewhere such as a second PE teacher or second art teacher or technology for all the students not just those in gifted/high achieving classes. The are very few working computers in the classrooms and no technology lab.There is a lack of follow through in many areas. If you can reassign, afford private or go to a charter,do it.

Posted May 16, 2013

Sawgrass Elementary is a wonderful school because of its wonderful administrators and teachers...I definitely feel like both my sons are known on a first name basis by all involved in their education. As a parent, I always feel welcomed and informed. We feel very blessed as a family to be part of this wonderful school.

Posted June 24, 2009

Love the school. My kids love it- enjoy it- and did well on the FCAT.

Posted May 31, 2009

Sawgrass Elem. is great. Wonderful school with great people- administrators, teachers, all workers and students. No complaints- It has been a superb experience for these years. Love it. Love it. Love it. I give it a 10 plus (A+).

Posted May 15, 2009

The school is awesome. The teachers are very good. Good crowd. The specials are awesome. The school is clean and i will give it 10 points. Very fortunate that my kid is in this good school. No regrets.

Posted May 19, 2008

I am a parent of an autistic child at Sawgrass Elementary. I am extremely fortunate that the teachers, administrators, and staff members are caring and dedicated to ALL the children of Sawgrass Elementary. The support received from all of them at the last Autism Walk was impressive. Not only were both administrators present, but many teachers and staff members. I am very satisfied with the support and education that I have received for my child. Everyone is treated with RESPECT, KINDNESS, and most importantly with DIGNITY. It is a pleasure to send my child to this phenomenal school. Kudos to the administrators, teachers, and staff members for their dedication and genuine concern of our children.

Posted May 2, 2008

This school may be adequate for the mainstream child but when it comes to providing support for children with special needs, especially autism, they are bottom of the barrel. I had my son re-assigned here as I thought the staff was very attentive since I substituted at Sawgrass before. Once my son became enrolled the teacher told me in the first month my son would 'mostly likely be retained.' They do not try hard enough at this school. Parents of autistic children...do your child a favor and do not enroll them at Sawgrass Elementary.

Posted March 23, 2008

I have 2 children that are currently attending Sawgrass elemtary and have to unfortantely move in order to get my child who has high functioning autism support. I am not quite sure how the Principal an VP of the school get away with overloading teachers with children who need support but do not provide any of the support. Be aware!

Posted March 19, 2008

Administration is poor, teacher support and staff support is non-existant. management of school has racial undertones that are insideous but will eventually explode. The Principal has poor leadership skills and is basically unaware of how to effectively manage a school. Were it not for dedicated instructional staff as well as clerical/office staff this school would be ranked as one of the worst.

Posted February 13, 2008

My kids is been at the Sawgrass Adventist School, and is been a blessing a beatufull expirience. Is wonderfull having such dedicated staff in this school, they help the kids, subject and spiritualy. God continue blessing the staff more kids will come to this school.

Posted June 27, 2007

My child went to this school for 6 years and it is a great school and I would recommend to any Parent. Most of the Teachers are awesome along with the Support and Admin staff.

Posted November 7, 2006

I have had my children at Sawgrass the past 6 years we have moved and I and my children miss it terribly. The teachers are the best of the best and always go above and beyond to be of help to the children and families... We will never forget you

Posted September 19, 2006

I love Sawgrass Elementary we have been there for four years. I have a third grader and a second grader (and I work at Sawgrass). We have a super team. The teaching staff we have at Sawgrass are great and I am so thrilled with the teachers my children have gotten through their years at Sawgrass so far. Thanks For All Your Hard Work!!!

Posted May 24, 2006

This school needs an an autism inclusion specialist to assist untrained staff in working with the large amount of children that attend this school that have autism and are in the general education class setting. It is like pulling teeth to get this school to provide support and the parents of these kids at this school are always spending a great deal of time getting adminstration to provide our special needs kids with the help they need. Autism effects our kids social interactions and this school does not address or want to address the need for social skills traing in school for our kids. They do however spend a great deal of time providing a very good ecucation for other kids that do not have a disabilty at the school. these autistic children need much more trained staff working with them.

Posted May 24, 2006

This school might be great for some but it's autism program is not up to par. As a parent I am very displeased with the amount of time I spend making sure my childs support needs are met. I wish they would just think of the child first.

Posted February 16, 2006

Both of my children attended Sawgrass Elementary School and participated in the School's gifted program. Our experience with the school (over a 9 year period) has been outstanding. The staff and administration has been very dedicated and we had only one year where we were unhappy with the teacher. Our oldest went to Pine Crest Middle School after graduation from Sawgrass and was more than prepared for the rigorous program offered by Pine Crest.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

155 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

155 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

145 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

159 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

12655 Northwest 8th Street