Sunrise, FL
Before care: Yes

Posted August 19, 2014
My children loved thier expierience at horizon its like one big family. the teachers care about the students and go beyond the scope of thier duties Mrs Chiet recently added a new music teacher Mrs. Goldstein and she gave my daughter the knowledge and courage to express herself thru music and thanks to Mrs.Goldsteins outgoing personaliy and talent my daughter got a full music scholarship to a private school. our family is thankful we could not have done it without your support thank you for keeping music at Horizon ,

Posted April 30, 2014
I just wanted to say who ever it was that wrote horizon is a title one school and that should explain everything should be ashamed, a child is a child would you like someone making that comment if it were your child? You do not know other peoples situations! I just hope that you are not teaching your child to be so dicriminating if you are I feel so sorry for your child!

Posted May 31, 2013
I'm a former Horizon Parent. My oldest stared 1st grade back in 2001. This Sunday she is graduating High School and we still make time to visit Ms.Chiet and teachers. This school was the beginning of a great school experirience. Very grateful! Btw, GET INVOLVED PARENTS!!! I did! For 9years :-)

Posted May 20, 2013
Combined my 2 kids have spent 7 years at this school. I have spent many hours volunteering and observing this school. I have been happy with almost every teacher that they had. The administration team is very experienced and caring; but direct and loud in a NY-style way.....and it works. This school is very serious about academics and the majority of the parents support the school (by getting homework done, kids to school on-time, etc). The kids have before-school work they do in the hallways. Some kids have work they do after-school. There are plenty of activities like Movie Night and Batty for Bingo to meet other kids and parents. The gifted program is fantastic. I have also had a great experience with the reading coaches when one of my kids struggled to read at grade level. The school does the most they can with the resources the county provides. My main wish for this school would be that the county give more $$ for support staff (reading/math coaches/aides) to support the teachers.

Posted March 23, 2013
I went to this school from kindergarten through 5th grade. It was the best elementary school there is around, I know this because I am having a hard time finding even a decent school for my kids to go to. Your kid should be so lucky to be attending such a good school. Appreciate it!

Horizon Elementary School 1

Posted November 18, 2012
This school gives you the runaround when you have a child with a disability that needs accommodations. I had to go to the district to get anything done. Now we have a section 504 but each step of the way they need a doctor's note which cost me $25 a piece. They didn't believe my letter stating side effects, they wanted it from the doc. Each time they have changed his meds I have to pay another $25. Screwy school! They refused to test him despite all these letters and a letter from me.

Horizon Elementary School 4

Posted November 28, 2011
My son goes to this school. Last year we had an incident wherein one kid put an open siccors into my son's throat and was not satisfied with the way everyone handled the situacion, even the police department. Some of the teachers are arrogant and some are pleasant. My son is a 5th grader and his teacher Mrs Mahler is wonderful compare to his 2nd and 3rd grade teacher. I personally disliked their attitude and lack of love and care for the students. I am constantly involved in my child's education and worked hard side by side with my kid so he can keep high grades despite of one teacher telling me that I should not spent too much time tutoring my child. I was dissapointed to hear this from a teacher.

Posted July 11, 2011
I love this school. The Principal Mrs Chiet is so involved. Her door is always open to parents and students. My son attended K-5, he received help when needed. 5th grade teacher Mrs. Delmonico is an amazing teacher. She took the time to help my son to do his best in her class. His 5th grade year is his favorite year at Horizon. Keep up the good work.

Horizon Elementary School 3

Posted July 08, 2011
My daughter went to Kindergarten there....one day she came home and said she had a new teacher...I was not happy that they changed her class without informing the parents first (they cut a K teacher to adhere to the classroom ratio..and moved her to another grade level.) Her new teacher was AMAZING, and she had a great first year of school. The staff are all AWESOME there, but I am not happy with the quality of students there. My daughter got slapped across the face in aftercare by a much older child...then again she got hit by a kid who wanted to be the line leader?the last week of school a 5th grader stole her lunch, but it was caught on camera and was properly handled. I was heartbroken to hear that my daughter was crying her eyes out and without lunch..when the teacher saw her crying, she shared HER OWN lunch with her. I volunteered there weekly and saw fights in the cafeteria. the school lunches were ice cold...until I complained to the school board.the school IS a uniformed school but it is NOT enforced..so I would say 20% of the kids wear them... so what's the point??? There is much more I can say... but I am out of characters.. we are not going back next year....:(

Posted March 15, 2011
It moves me to tears to think that if we hadn't moved to Horizon's school boudaries my son would not have recieved the personal attention and dedication that he has gotten from his teacher this year. I love this school. The principal is wonderful. The staff is wonderful. They truely care, and I know from experience, that is hard to find. Love it!

Horizon Elementary School
2101 North Pine Island Road, Sunrise, FL  33322
Last modified Horizon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horizon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top