743 students|Leon

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Ive had nothing but great experiences with this school we've been here going on three years all the teachers I get along with even meet a couple of nice parents we also got honor roll this year

Teachers keep students actively engaged. Parents are consistently kept aware of students progress and suggestions are give to parents to help at home for students who may be having a bit of a challenge in any given area.

My education was not in US so I cannot compare. I do like many aspects of this school. They stress a lot on Discipline. School has the Cambridge program for talented kids and even in regular classes they use many methods to keep kids at all levels challenged. Minor cons: uniform vendor $2 - jean days; blue pop day

Governors Charter as been a wonderful school experience for the whole family. We've enjoyed the mandatory volunteer time and see it as an opportunity to stay involved. Our daughter is involved in extracurriculars the school offers as well as the Cambridge gifted and talented program.

This school is doing well and my son is reading well above his 1st grade level (2nd/3rd grade level) Others are surprised. He had a great kindergarten teacher and now his first grade teacher is doing a great job. I can only speak for kindergarten and first grade. As for pick up no one can just pick them up. I forgot my tag and had to go to the front office to show ID to pick him up.

I dont normally participate in these reviews but after reading a few of the ones before me , I now feel the need to defend GCA and Dr. Peters (the princiPAL). I LOVE this school and am so happy that I enrolled my child there. The teachers that my child has had are WONDERFUL! They are dedicated, organized and are phenominal with communication. The building itself is state of the art and the staff is amazing. Dr. Peters is extremely involved. I have seen her paricipate in so many ways and it amazes me that she is as humble as she is. The statement that "anyone that knows your childs name and grade" can pick your child up is absurd. Kids are brought out to and placed into your car (often by Dr. Peters herself) after showing your pick up tag to a staff member. Volunteering is big at GCA and should come as no surprise to anyone since they have talked about the importance of this since before the school was even built. I am okay with my kids knowing that I am participating in their education because it is the most important thing we can do for our children. I am so thankful I made the decision to enroll my kids there and applaud the staff of GCA for all their hard work.

I had both my children there last year and we decided to move on. The classrooms were often loud and chaotic. The administration was so busy trying to keep order that they never got to educating the children. My children complained about the other kids as well. This was not something that I expected. Not sure where they are headed, but we went back to our local school and they are much happier.

Principle - Law/Rule which must be followed; standard Principal - Person of most importance; Chief; Leader We've personally not been at the school long enough to give an accuarte rating, but I do find it is a work in progress with the expectations of the parents (myself included) and what can feasibly be accomplished by the staff of GCA. I do find it odd both of the last negative reviewers used the incorrect version of principal/principle.

Be wary! This school does not care about parents. I pulled my children from there. The kids were horrible. But it was the principle that did the worst job. I went to the principle and specifically complained about an employee - she made a child cry and told him she hoped he got hit when he got home! I wasn't the only one to complain. The principle took my complaint so seriously she made the employee a teacher this year. GLAD WE ARE GONE.

There are a lot of problems with the school, starting with the behavior of the students (language so foul it makes one nostalgic for a simple four letter word - seriously, it was that bad). Some teachers were responsive, others terrible. The principle was visible, but it's clear this is one of her first jobs in that position. She appears to listen, but then fails to take action. Finally, when we started there, we were promised a future "A" school. When test scores showed that GCA was mediocre-poor, I was told that it was good 'considering what we started with.' Well, GCA tests the same as the mediocre school that we started with so, what's the point of a charter school that can't do better than public school? The claim is a cop out. GCA students come from the same areas as our local public school.

Last modified Governor's Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.