Tallahassee, FL

Kate Sullivan Elementary School 2

Posted August 27, 2015
My son attended 3rd grade at KS, after having had K-2 in a great school in another state. Almost immediately he began to complain of being bored, other children being disruptive, older children bullying him in the hallways (actual physical contact). I passed this off as "new school blues" and assured him it would get better. Then he was threatened by two older boys who were just hanging out in the restroom during class time. Two trips to the school to resolve this. I wasn't too worried about the actual education because he brought home A/B report cards. The teacher raved about him at conferences. Now I find out, after deciding to homeschool my son, he is not prepared for 4th grade math. I don't blame the teacher, she did the best she could with what she had. The studen/teacher ratio is too high, too many children with behavior and learning disabilities in one class and in the school period. Physical Education is non-existant, as is any real recess time. It's not good or realistic for children to be cooped up in a classroom for 6 hours with no break. The physical building itself is a disaster as it IS the oldest school building in Tallahassee. This school district, and state in general, place far too much emphasis on testing and not real teaching. If your child is above the curve, they will not get what they need to continue their learning, as the focus is on the children that are considered "at risk". If I had it to do all over again, I would not have moved from our home state or taken my son away from a school he enjoyed and actually learned at.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 20, 2015
Even though it is only the first week of school the introduction that I had between myself and Ms. Nesmith was detailed enough so that I know she is exactly what I had hoped for in an early educator for Gary. She has the special talents that will get Gary on the level he needs to be performing at, I have complete confidence in that.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted August 20, 2015
The first of week of school so homework has not yet been given to the students.

Develops grit: Neutral

Posted August 20, 2015
Since Gary is an incoming Kindergartener I can not answer that question personally as of yet. I do know however that Cobb, is a "Magnet" school. I believe that is the correct term, and that if I am correct; the development of persistence, grit and determination in its incoming students was probably instilled by it's feeder elementary school, Kate Sullivan.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted August 20, 2015
From what I could see on the day we had school orientation and the amount of school shirts and stickers, hats and so many other items yes! Also, I have lived in this subdivision since 1996. I have watched your Fall Festival's and listened to others parents talk about the school since our grandson came to live with us and began playing organized sports in the neighborhood; the other parents have true respect for our school. We choose to send Gary here over Trinity.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted August 20, 2015
I really can't answer this yet because I/we are new to Kate Sullivan! :) We Just haven't been onboard long enough to judge the school in this category.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted August 20, 2015
From day one every time I turn a corner I have run into a smiling face.. The paperwork that came home with Gary was straight forward what was expected of the student and what would occur if the student didn't follow the rules. I felt that the disciplinary actions were fair and that were age appropriate for my five year old. I am a firm believer that shaming a child is no way to teach a lesson or values you wish for them to retain for a lifetime.

Kate Sullivan Elementary School 4

Posted August 20, 2015
Ms. Nesmith and her staff have been informative and friendly since day one. Their guidance has been invaluable to myself and my husband since it has been years since I have had to navigate the school system with a little one. Gary has had some difficult challenges to overcome in his young life and I feel a sincere concern from her and her staff that is most comforting to our family.

Kate Sullivan Elementary School 2

Posted June 26, 2015
Teachers of this school are not properly educated on how to physiologically guide small kids. They put a lot of stress on kids. In some cases they treat kids like adult. My son always complained that teachers are not fair. They give privileges to the students they like. If a student is not happy or not listening or did something wrong, teachers keep him isolated from other kids in class room, lunch or play ground. This is completely against kids psychology and mental growth. I had to take an article on this and gave it to my son's teacher and the principal. I didn't feel that things were improved after I wanted them to learn something from that article. If a student has little bit of behavior problem, that student may be violent by the end of the year following the ways school treats them. I never felt that Kate Sullivan equally cares all students. I found most school staffs are very unprofessional in terms of communication. They rarely teach students some general courtesy. I really doubt if they maintain a very kids friendlily study environment in class room and school activities. Kids are always on mental stress.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 26, 2015

927 Miccosukee Road, Tallahassee, FL  32308
Last modified Kate Sullivan Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kate Sullivan Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top