Posted July 03, 2013
I absolutely hated my first experience with this school! Absolutely hated it! The very mention of this school gives me a headache. I should have listened when my son begged me to enroll him in another school for his freshman year. Now to withdraw him I'm having the hardest time. Ugh! Really? To withdraw? Ugh! Thanks alot for a very unpleasant experience for my son AND for me! And you wonder why you have three star's?

Posted November 01, 2010
It's just like every other school people talk bad about this school but just like the other high schoolshere in tallahassee they have over 150+ graduate every year so they must be doing something right. You can't talk bad about a school until you have experienced it. People just give Rickards a bad name because of what people say. They do the same things that go on at other high schools. It's name is just worser, because they are on the southside of town. Now isn't that something to think about.

Posted November 18, 2009
This is my school zone, but i decided not to go because of the way Rickards has been brought out. IB is great and the new principal is awesome(she was my middle school principle)

Posted October 27, 2009
I am a parent of a 9th grader who loves the school. His teachers are so good he doesn't want to miss school even when he is sick. The new principal has brough trememdous energy and enthusiasm to Rickards. The IB program is particularly impressive and graduates some the of the brightest students around. For example, the Mu Alpha Theta team (Math team) is one of the best in the country. Great math teachers including Ms. Funk, Mr. Fraser and Mr. Kiser among others.

Posted October 08, 2009
This is the worst school I have ever seen. The only good thing is the IB Program, and it definately not worth sending your child there. The general students are irresponsible, and they are rude and ignorant. In my opinion they should move the IB Program to a school like Leon or Lincoln or Chiles. I walked onto the campus and immediatly felt unsafe. I don't even think the cameras work. There is barely any disipline, and none of the students there actually care about an education. Rickards is the reason I put my childrebn in private schools.

James Rickards High School 2

Posted May 11, 2009

Posted April 02, 2009
With a new principal at Rickards, things have really turned around. As many of the posts below have described, the IB program at Rickards is fantastic, but was not valued by the previous administration. The new administration not only values IB but sees that it is the most important part of the school--the new principal is also very caring and involved.

Posted March 26, 2008

Posted January 28, 2008
The IB program is keeping Rickards from being a perpetul 'F' school. It's a great program that is both challenging and rewarding. As a former student, I would highly recommend to students that are willing to work a little extra in high school. Even with the challenging curriculum, I had plenty of time for extracurricular activities. I played a sport for 4 years and was also in the National Honor Society. As high as I rate the IB program, the opposite is true of the rest of the school. I completely disagree with the poster that said the administration works hard. It is very apparent that [the principal] would rather not have the IB program at Rickards, and makes decisions regarding the program accordingly. The parental involvement is practically nonexistent outside of IB parents.

Posted January 25, 2008
If I could rate only the IB Program, this school would have 5 stars! The IB Program is a definate plus for this school. I am in agreeance with previous input here, if it were not for this magnet program the school would fail. The Administration shows a lack of concern from the learning environment to the extracurricular (including sports) The online grading system is great, but the teachers are slack in updating. It would be nice to have a principal that cared for the students, that would make all the difference in the world!!

James Rickards High School
3013 Jim Lee Road, Tallahassee, FL  32301
Last modified James Rickards High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
James Rickards High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top