Tallahassee, FL
Students enrolled: 1,001

Posted March 08, 2015
I moved here over a year ago to Tallahassee to find a great school for my children. I have an 8 year old with Autism and a 5 year child. We chose Gulchrist Elementary because we saw that it is a Blue Ribbon school recognized for it's high level of performance. They have great programs for children. My son used to struggle with reading and math. The school has an excellent team of educators that take the time to understand what each of my children needs are and give them extra attention in the areas that are needed. They have many family events like Donuts for Dad, Grandparents Week, Mother's Day activities, and family events too. Whenever I want to check on the progress of my child, I can always contact his/her teachers by email for a meeting or even do a quick visit. The staff are very friendly and willing to help. The campus is beautifully decorated with all the children's artwork. They and reading program that gets the children motivates to want to read more. Whenever a child reaches a certain amount of points, the child is recognized on the school news. This is a great school with awesome educators and staff. I am so glad to have my children attend here!

Posted February 05, 2015
This is a great school with excellent teachers, an awesome office staff and a very hands-on, engaged principal. We are very pleased to have our child attend this school for the last two years!

Posted August 30, 2013
My son has been a student at Gilchrist since Kindergarten. We've had fantastic teachers, and made wonderful friends. Cant wait for my daughter to go!!
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 03, 2013
We absolutely love Gilchrist! My daughter can't wait to start the second grade. Everyone in this school is great.

Posted January 13, 2013
I was a student at Gilchrist for six years and, as far as I'm concerned, it is the best elementary school in Tallahassee. Thanks to the challenging lessons and Creative Academics classes offered there, I am maintaining all A's throughout middle school. I am in the eighth grade.

Gilchrist Elementary School 0

Posted September 17, 2009
It is a very multi ethnic and multicultural place. When they have the annual field day they begin with a parade of nations with each grade dressing up to represent a country and my child is a Chinese American so that matters to us and that there are others who look like her. Also it is a 'Blue Ribbon' school which proves what we already knew, that they work hard to make sure everyone is a successful student. They do cool projects like the 'Art in the Sky' project that combined learning about the indangered Whooping Crane with a cooperative aspect of making the huge crane on the ground using students and teachers bodies in the correct color shirts for the formation.

Gilchrist Elementary School 0

Posted April 28, 2009
My son started 2nd grade in Gilchrist we are from Katrina In Louisiana he was not doing well in his reading. At Gilchrist they put him in ESE class and he has come a long way the Teachers have been wonderful with his taeching of reading this is his last yaer at Gilchrist. And I know for a fact that my son will miss his ESE teacher's thay spent one on one with him and have helped him alot He use to not know how to read and now he does Thanks to the Teachers this is a great school we were bless to have come to Tallahassee and have my children go to the best Leon Elementary school I also have a 3rd grader that is going to 4th grade next year and they also helped her in her reading in her regular class.

Gilchrist Elementary School 1

Posted March 24, 2009
This school is not the school to send your child to if he has any kind of learning or emotional problems. They are very unsympathetic and seem to only want 'normal' students. I have gotten the feeling from administration as well as teachers that they don't like to be bothered with children that have any time of problems. The ESE program is a joke, my son has already repeated kindergarden and is on his way to repeating 1st grade. They tell me they are doing all they can which seems to be not much of anything. Some of the teachers/staff there need more training in dealing with children that have special needs.

Posted March 12, 2008

Posted May 08, 2007
Children are challenged academically and receive positive encouragement from their teachers. I am involved with my child's class as well as the volunteer tutor program. The parental involvement at this school is impressive. We moved from another state where our son attended a private school which ran close to a thousand dollars a month. I feel his teachers at Gilchrist worked harder with him as an individual to succeed than the teachers at his old private school. Overall, we have been pleasantly surprised.
2 people found this helpful

Gilchrist Elementary School
1301 Timberlane Road, Tallahassee, FL  32312
Last modified Gilchrist Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gilchrist Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top