597 students|Leon

Bad
Good

I currently have two children enrolled at this school and have two totally different experiences here. One of the teacher's is amazing. I have been able to connect with her whenever I need to and she keeps me in the loop with everything going on. The other teacher is very standoffish and always seems like it's an inconvenience to talk. Unfortunately for me, the standoffish teacher currently has the child I'm more concerned about (there are some behaviors that I'm trying to curb before they become a issue). My overall perception of the school is it is a good school with room for improvement. The principal and vice principal are kind and easy to talk to. The front office staff is wonderful and always eager to help. The security of the school could be better (students are able to wander around undetected before the first bell rings). Both children have maintained honor status throughout the school year and they are meeting (and in some areas exceeding) the state standards for their grade levels. I honestly wish my husband and I had the financial ability to send our children to a private school, however, I am satisfied with the children attending Astoria Park.

Fine school for youngsters to learn and to play. While not much to boast of, the teachers and staff were always friendly and accomodating. A positive attitude goes a long way!

I totally agree with the last parents comment and view of this school. My two kids attended this school for years as well. The grade as gone down which I try not to pay attention to much because I pay attention to how my kids to academically themselves. However, this past year as been ridiculous. The bullying, which the principal "claims" to be so intolerant of is the MAIN one allowing it to go on! When I brought it to her attention denial set it. She didn't want to believe that child would do such a thing. Not only were there witnesses, teachers, but her own brother. Punishment for hitting my child? A phone call to the parent. This child was a known bully and the principal sat back and did nothing to reprimand the child appropriately. My kids need to learn in a bully free environment! Good Riddance Astoria!!!!

I selected Astoria Park 2 years ago because of the school grade. I have two kids who attend and will move them after the year is over. The principal upholds her staff to the detriment of the students. The school grade has decreased and it appears they are more about teaching to the FCAT than making sure their students learn and retain information. I spend my evenings and weekends making sure my kids know what the school is supposedly teaching. There is a definite lack of communication between staff and parents. The principal along with her staff have a problem if you are a parent that wants to stay on top of your child's education. There does not appear to be any excitement over educating children.

I am very satisfied with the school.Im not to fond of the dropping off and picking up procedures that they have in place but my child loves the teachers.He is excited to go to school and he is learning alot.He is in Kindergarten but this is his second year cause he went to Pre-K there as well.

I had no choice but to bring my children to Astoria after we moved in another district....from Kate Sullivan to here. I experienced some problems in the beginning mainly with the transportation, but in the long run I think we have adjusted and I am glad to have had this experience. Astoria is truly dedicated to advancing education and achieving excellence. I would not have know it, but I do appreciate the the teachers and the staff and would do it again.

The school has greatly improved since the new principal has taken over. The previous one just seemed to be biding her time until retirement.

I have two children attending Astoria Park, and they love it. They have both attended since kindergarten (one is in the fifth grade and third grade). The teachers are extremely capable and take their jobs seriously. The administrators set firm expectations and are very helpful to parents.

I think this school is so disorganized, I don't like the way you drop your children off especially kindergarden kids and they are left to run around the school yard with next to no supervision I have saw 3 fights within the last 3 days it is crazy if you are thinking about moving into this district think again.

Last modified Astoria Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.