688 students|Leon

Bad
Good

My child is in 2nd grade and we are still pretty disappointed in the school and the administration. We do love our child's teacher this year. She is doing the best she can with what she has to work with. It's not her fault that the school uses Wonders for reading, a highly developmentally inappropriate curriculum for the lower grades. With that being said, we're also are opposed to Common Core and fault the state for opting to keep it. Buck Lake is simply all about taking tests! Last year's review: This is our first year at Buck Lake and we are pretty disappointed thus far. My child's teacher is not good. We have experienced lack of communication, disorganization, poor grammar and writing skills, excessive absences, inconsistent grading and allowing the children to watch too much television and movies. I will be writing a letter to the principal addressing these issues along with other issues we have experienced. Regardless, I plan for my child to attend Buck Lake next year in hopes that this year was the exception and not the norm for the school. I will update my review if it improves!

I like the school a lot the techers care about the students.(comentarary)after school need to be fun .

When me and my family first relocated to the Buck Lake community I thaught they would be attending an excellent school. But I was wrong. I had a 1, 3 and 5th grader there and was not impressed with any grade level. The school is mainly made up by upper and middle class families and thats all. The school is what you would call "snobby". Me and my family were a middle class family as well but I was not impressed. I am actually an educator myself and have never experienced a school like Buck Lake. Since that year my oldest went on to middle school and my two other children we removed and placed at Chaires Elementary which they still two years later attend. And I have never made a better decision for my childrens education than getting tham away from Buck Lake.

My child is in 3rd grade there and has been a student since Kindergarten. I lke the school alot and feel the teachers genuinely care about the students. The after school enrichment program is also a great asset to the school.

We have had a generally good experience with Buck Lake. Our children's teachers have been very good at what they do - some even exceptional. I agree to some extent that there seems to be a bias towards those with hyper-involved parents, yet we do not have a full-time parent at home and have still been able to have good relationships with our teachers. I am worried about the future of gifted education there (and all over Leon County) because I do not believe administrators all understand or care how important it is teach those kids differently. And the FCAT seems to be more and more emphasized every year.There used to be more of a sense that the FCAT would be taken care of by good teaching instead of by making little kids stress out over it. But overall it has been a good place for our children.

Buck Lake Elementary--a big disappointment. The 3 years my 3 children attended there, we were also struggling in a battle against cancer and depression, with very little support from teachers and administration. Buck Lake's flaws begin with the fact that Leon County school districts are inequitably divided. Buck Lake has no low-income housing; it is fed by middle and upper-class white/international neighborhoods, without working class blacks and latinos. Its school projects favor the privileged full-time parent at home. My 2nd grader was assigned projects that only a parent could complete, like building a native american dwelling and a geneology chart. The Buck Lake principal has the compassion of a criminologist, not an educator concerned about the well-being of a child suffering from depression. The F-Cat snuffs-out a child's love of learning. I removed my children from Buck Lake Elementary, and the Leon County public school system.

My two oldest children go to BLE and I have always been please with the teachers and the staff. They are always in good spirits, helpful and so wonferful with their students.

The teachers and staff are always looking for ways to improve learning, they make it fun and they are very committed to our children.

Each morning I drop my children off to smiling teachers in the car loop. There are a minimum of 6 adults greeting each parent and child as they are dropped off. A child greeted by a smiling teacher has already started their day off on a positive note. The rest of the day is no different. Well educated teachers, caring for children, developing talents, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and guiding them to achieve their individual best. Buck Lake teachers and staff are committed to creating life long learners in our children. Why? Because they are also life long learners...wonderful!

My son is an ESE student and buck lake has the most amazing program for them. They dont treat them as if they are different from the others. They let be the amazong kids they are. Thank you buck lake!!!

Last modified Buck Lake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.