Posted October 26, 2013
I attended Maclay for 10 years (2-12th grade); my brother and sister also graduated from Maclay (11 years and 10, respectively). -Positively: The Spanish program is excellent; I was nearly fluent leaving high school. My social studies / history background had a great foundation. And, although I was terrible at Math, the personal attention from a few kind teachers helped me pass. Also, I think athletics is crucial for young women to develop both healthy bodies and minds, and I am grateful that despite not being an all-star I was on a team and played. -Negatively: I was bullied from 2nd grade on about my then-perceived, now-established sexual orientation. I recall and can count the times teachers intervened on one hand. I was different, and other than a small number of supportive staff, there wasn't acceptance of difference. As one might guess at a small, K-12 school-- the peer culture is hugely influential and clicks form early. Unfortunately the same factors lead to an embarrassing amount of gossip involving both students and parents (including gossip abt. family/marital problems). Lastly, there's a SERIOUS lack of diversity. I graduated w/ 87 kids. Three were students of color.

Posted October 11, 2013
Excellent classes, fantastic teachers, beautiful campus. If you do not succeed here then you don't have the will to do so.

Posted May 16, 2013
I've attended Maclay for seven years now. I will not specify what grade I'm in, due to teachers hunting me down for saying this. I don't like being asked why I strongly dislike Maclay. I couldn't tell you if Maclay was the best school in Tallahasse, but what I could tell you is that Maclay's education, and staff members aren't as great compared to other private schools in the U.S.

Posted November 04, 2012
I was a student at Maclay for 14 years, pre-K through 12th grade. Maclay has weak and under-funded arts and music programs (at least, they were weak when I attended, but admittedly were improving as I graduated). However, science, English, foreign language, math, and history are all very strong. I was not always fully engaged, but Maclay more than did its job preparing me for success at a highly competitive Ivy League school post graduation. Both my siblings attended Maclay and were similarly well prepared for life at and after college. The teacher-student relationships are very good; my teachers genuinely cared about my progress and wanted me to do well, both academically and more broadly as a maturing young adult (read: as a teenager who occasionally didn't know what I was doing). After fourteen years, I can say without doubt that Maclay is not perfect, but I would send my children here without hesitation.

Posted February 05, 2012
My son attended this school for 3 years, this last year has been the WORST! he started saying he hates going to school.. and on top of that he was being bullied by an older kid during the after school care! Im extremely dissapointed! His grades have dropped from As to Bs because he is just not interested and feels intimidated by his teacher. OF COURSE they will ALWAYS come up with the ADHD story.. and ironically now a days EVERY teacher had an ADD son/dauther, so for 600$ a sicologist will do an eval to give me some "tips" on how to handle him! I was under the impression that since this is one of the best school in town the teachers probably attend great seminars about this subject and would know how to face this "problem". On top of that our sicologist said he was starting to suffer from a mild depression from this problems at school..When I emailed the lower school principal she just said " it was sad and they would look into the after school situation" NOTHING was said or done afterwards. As i said to her im a single mom that makes a huge effort to send my son to the best school.. but aparently I dont drop enough$ there to make it a priority! cant wait for this year to end

Posted January 22, 2012
My two children attended Maclay, and it was the best investment I could have made for them. I work for the university system in Florida, so I know how important a solid educational foundation is for success in an academically rigorous college setting. My kids are now adults, and they are successful and happy. My husband and I made sacrifices, but I'm very glad we did.

Posted May 07, 2010
I am very impressed how the teachers are more than just instructors. I moved to the area last year and anytime I have a question or a concern about anything, they are so happy to help. My daughter has done extremely well. There is a great deal of parent involvement. I had the opportunity to assist in the school clinic for several weeks and I found it to be so rewarding. I feel that my daugher is very fortunate to have such a wonderful teacher who really cares. My daugher has been to other private schools and the tuition here is much lower than what I have paid in the past.

Posted September 21, 2009

Maclay School 4

Posted August 20, 2009
The academic curriculum is very structured and there is a good amount of homework. If your child is bright there aren't very many opportunities for enrichment. There is also a very structured physical education program which I worry might be a stronger influence than academics right now. Not a bad choice for the area.

Maclay School 4

Posted May 23, 2009
The school does a good job of providing a great education at a competitive cost. I have lived in a city where costs were about double Maclay's and the education may have been 10% better. The attitude of the of leadership probably more caring at Maclay.

Maclay School