Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Used to be a good school when Pat was around but not the school is awful. They don't teach children anything and they let them play on the computers all day. They don't teach basic skills which will leave your child so far behind. Great school for pre-k or kindergarten but beyond that it's useless. They don't practice writing, spelling, time or anything. What I can say is that they learn concrete social skills but that's due to the children alone not staff. There have been times I've gone there and no one knows where my child is. The staff is lazy and nothing more than glorified baby sitters. They will tell you they offer all these courses but none of the kids know what they are because they aren't exposed to them. You can't expect a five year old to know what yoga or reading comprehension is, so why would they ask for that on their own??? Other Sudbury and Democratic schools actually expose and teach their kids these things. This school just collects checks.

As both a current parent and a former student, Grassroots School is and has been a blessing. As a person who deeply values the principles of freedom and democracy, the Grassroots School allowed me as a student to grow and develop both academically and personally on a level I did not and could not experience while attending my assigned public school(s). I learned accountability, community and personal responsibility and was allowed to explore my academic interests in literature, philosophy, and sociology on a level forbidden by my public school teachers. As a parent I watch and participate with joy as my children blossom in their respective intellectual and creative pursuits, all the while enjoying the freedom of being, simply, children.

This school may be a wonderful place for younger children (K-2nd) to learn without boundaries, but due to the lack of supervision I would not recommend the school. Also, there is no accreditation. My child was a bit older when he attended this school and the learning situations offered to him were not quite age appropriate--a little on the young side. Again, younger children may benefit. The setting is more like a daycare, not like a school, without the supervision. There were many times we arrived to pick him up or drop him off, and no adult was in sight.

Grassroots helped my children receive a much broader education than most public schools. It was an important factor in their success in life.

I had two children attend Grassroots, and it helped make them the caring, thoughtful community members they have become. Low-stress, democracy in practice, outdoor learning -- the place is limitless.

I attended this school from the age of 9 until going into highschool. I am amzed at how much I learned without even realizing it. I did not only gain academic knowledge, I attained knowlege about important life skills that most kids do not learn until later in life. I went on to graduate from highschool and now have my master's degree, and because I was not forced to do homework and study for exams and be made to feel stupid, I am always eager to learn new things. This was a good experience for me, but if you are someone that is not self-motivated or requires a lot of direction and set rules, it might not be the school for you.

This school is an amazing opportunity for children to learn without boundaries. The level of exploration available far exceeds the school's grounds which feature art, theatre, soccer & basketball, and gardening facilities. Academics are presented in such a way that children excell without ever thinking that something is 'too difficult'. Highlights for my children were the theater productions, Logic, and fort building. Parents act as volunteer instructors and board members. Children, teachers and parents participate equally in weekly 'Pow-Wow' meetings which are truly amazing examples of democracy in action. Worth moving to this town, especially if your child would benefit from an alternative school setting.

Last modified Grassroots Free School is a Private school