No rating

The Magnolia School

Private | K-8 | 51 students

We are best known for nurturing, challenging program.

Living in Tallahassee

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $103,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted June 26, 2013

I have been attending The Magnolia School since 3rd grade, and I can honestly say that attending this school has changed my life for the better. When I first came to Magnolia, I was rather lacking in social skills. I hadn't had a particularly great time in public elementary schools, and I guess my parents placed me here. I also have a younger brother who at the time was entering kindergarten, that also helps. Anyway, after coming to Magnolia, I became a less antisocial person. Well, I'm the same person really, but...I guess I learned how to deal with people. I immediately started making friends, who I still talk to now. This coming year, I will be entering 8th grade, and after that, I'll be this place. It will be great to not be there, but I it's sort of bittersweet too. I've been reading the reviews, and to the two or so negative reviews: Magnolia is not a "just drop of your children and we'll teach them things" kind of school. Parent participation is imperative to the kind of learning that works best in this environment. I'm almost out of characters, but before I wrap this up, I just want to say that if all goes well, the bonds formed will haunt you for life...in a good way.

Posted February 8, 2013

my children, nephew and now my granddaughter have graduated from the Magnolia School. Magnolia School prepared them for making it in the further educational world and in real life. They were anxious to go to school in the mornings and participate in activities otherwise including field trips, weekend camping trips, etc. The Magnolia School helped them develop their abilities to think and figure out how to go about a problem, how to do research on any subject of interest or need and how to be a good human being.

Posted June 22, 2011

Our daughter is thriving at Magnolia School both academically and socially. We chose the school based on watching our friends' kids excel and mature in an environment that promotes learning and respect. Our daughter is thrilled with the school, and we're excited to see the daily challenges and long-term goals Magnolia works tirelessly to maintain. She has developed a love of learning that allows for so much growth beyond the classroom. Most importantly, Magnolia has helped us understand our role as parents in the learning process; I think we would have done fine in any situation, but the faculty and leadership keep us energized about learning with her. We have visited several schools over the years but overall, the community and pedagogy at Magnolia combine to create the perfect learning environment for our daughter right now. We will be a part of Magnolia for quite a while.

Posted March 30, 2011

My daughter attended Magnolia for more than four years until we pulled her out. She found that it was possible to do as little work as possible and still be praised. A loving attitude goes a long way in education, but so do high standards. I'm glad to see that the Magnolia parents responded to the call for positive reviews -- that's part of the community spirit -- and I'm sure they are heartfelt. Magnolia is a loving school, small, and inclusive. But don't be swayed by a PR campaign. Every child is different. Your child MUST be self-motivated if you expect them to do well. If they are not, they simply will not succeed -- and the teachers will praise them anyway. This is NOT a school for every child. My child left confused, far behind her peers, and ill prepared. In public school, she has caught up and finally is working to her potential. But that took a LOT of work. Magnolia was a waste of money and I regret the decision to place her there.

Posted March 1, 2011

The Magnolia School is the best option if your child benefits from indivdual attention in the classroom. As an alumnus of The Magnolia School, I can proudly say that I not only thrived in a creative learning environment, but I'm also a more well-rounded, patient, and tolerant person because I attended Magnolia.

Posted February 19, 2011

I'm currently in my first year at San Francisco Theological Seminary in California, where I continue to benefit from the individualized learning style that I adopted from my days at Magnolia School. Self motivation is key for real learning, and certainly for graduate school. Thank you, Magnolia School teachers.

Posted February 19, 2011

Magnolia School was a wonderful place to work and a great place for my daughter to start school. My older children would come in the summer. It was great.

Posted February 18, 2011

Magnolia School was a great start! I just finished graduate school and I believe magnolia school gave me the foundation I needed for my long academic journey.

Posted July 14, 2010

my two children, my nephew have and now my granddaughter is attending magnolia because they are treated as individuals and allowed to be creative in their learning. Expectations are high and learning is prime focus... not tests. Success is based on success.

Posted June 30, 2010

My kids love going to school every day - that is priceless. This is a family of really caring and involved staff members and parents. What could be better.

Posted June 28, 2010

To anyone considering Magnolia School: You will see by the reviews that overall, the school has a great rating. There are one or two bad reviews - not every school fits every child, and the school has had a few rough transitions in leadership. But the new co-directors have done a wonderful job these past few years. Parents contribute a lot to the school, and the PTO has been energized by new parents coming in. And, of course, the teachers - they give so much of their time and themselves. Magnolia School is a wonderful alternative for children who, for whatever reason, may not do well in a conventional school setting, where classes frequently focus on how to pass the SAT rather than critical learning skills.

Posted June 26, 2010

We came to Tallahassee fearing we could not find a school as strong as we had in the past - an exc ellent Montessori school in another state. Magnolia School provided a foundation of caring for the individual student and helping them develop according to the way they learn. My son benefited enormously not only from the academics, but from the love and teachings about community and nature. The friendships he formed at Magnolia are still strong and lasting.

Posted June 25, 2010

I can honestly say that sending both of my daughters to Magnolia School was the BEST decision I made as a parent!! The school helped them to develop a love of learning and I see a huge difference in them as compared to their friends (who didn't go to Magnolia School) who are burned out and sick of school. My daughters continue to excel because of the foundation provided to them through Magnolia's hands-on curriculum, caring teachers, and loving community.

Posted June 25, 2010

I couldn't have asked for more in a school for my two (one quiet, one rambunctous) bright children. The flexible way the school was organized, physically and academically, maximized the potential of each student. The parental participation was exlemplary, and the teachers were inspiring, kind, and friends to the children. My children never lost their eagerness to learn.

Posted June 25, 2010

My two children look at their years at Magnolia with deep fondness and appreciation. Magnolia School is a excellent choice for families who want a high-quality education focused on fostering a love for learning and skill acquisition delivered with personal attention in a supportive environment. The whole child's development, and a lot of family education and support is part of their approach. Definitely a great choice for middle schoolers who would benefit from a smaller setting where their individual interests and strengths are celebrated.

Posted June 25, 2010

Magnolia School holds a special place in my heart for the style of learning provided there. My daughter loved her time at Magnolia. And I enjoyed participating in the summer camps for many years.

Posted June 25, 2010

My daughter went to Magnolia School from kindergarten through the third grade. Unfortunately we had to move to another city. Those four years were the best educational experience imaginable for our daughter and for us as well. She is now a junior at Chapel Hill and I credit Magnolia School with instilling the ability to think independently and act creatively in her at an early age.

Posted June 25, 2010

My children, now in college, still say that the Magnolia School was the best school they ever attended!

Posted June 6, 2010

I am a current student at the Magnolia School. I started in Kindergarten seven years ago, but I have been a member of the Magnolia community (an amazing community) since I was three years old. I cannot say enough about how much I love this school. The multi-age classrooms and small size help students learn to accept everyone and socialize with people of all ages. One hour of time outside on the playground every day helps us focus during class. As a student moves through the grades, he or she really gets to know the teachers. I am much more comfortable with adults than most of my friends from outside the school, and I feel safe discussing things with the teachers.

Posted March 24, 2009

We chose The Magnolia School for our children because our gifted daughter was bored in school and frustrated with the volume of busy work. The theme-based curriculum at Magnolia School allows children to go deeper into subjects. Math, science, language arts and history are all rolled into the theme, allowing kids to make natural connections, fostering critical thinking and sharpening their logic. The multi-age classrooms allow kids who are ahead to move forward, and kids who may be behind to catch up at their own pace, without stigma or fear of being 'held back.' I am amazed by the things my kids are learning - and how eager they are to share what they have learned.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Japanese
Spanish
Czech
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Japanese

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gardening

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Katy Mcglynn
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (850) 386-2923

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Virtual school

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code