PK-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Reading these reviews, all I find myself doing is mostly agreeing with the negative and wondering what alternate reality the ones posting positive reviews experienced. The success of the athletic programs here is paramount to anything else. I can't state that strongly enough. Aside from star athletes, there are a few seemingly arbitrary favorites chosen by faculty and administration. There is absolutely no shame whatsoever in putting this on display. A group of us have given them the moniker "the golden ones." I think I can only describe it as a caste system. You are what they deem you to be and there is no way, no matter your effort, to achieve goals and advance beyond that. You're just stuck where they think you should be. Just to be clear, I'm referring to the behavior and ideology of faculty and staff (adults), not that of students and their cliques. It's weird, especially in a school with Christ's name, that faculty and administration would decide how far a student can go in high school, limiting whom they chose, on based on their whims. I know and completely understand that this sounds ridiculous, but I've seen it occur repeatedly through 10 years of experience with this institution. Please understand this is written in disappointment and sadness, not with malice. Your student would have a better chance to thrive and become what they choose, dream to be...........almost anywhere else.

As a parent I have found North Florida Christian School to be a good quality private school. This is our 2nd year here and we have just re-enrolled for another school year. We have children in elementary and middle school and found the activities, opportunities, and learning environment to be a positive experience. The school grounds are maintained and clean, the classrooms are spacious and well prepared with technology boards, computer labs, library, full cafeteria, chapel/sanctuary, gymnasium, music room, art and more. This is a great value compared to most private schools and I would recommend this school to a new family. No school is perfect but NFC is pretty good.

This High School is a prison. The Elementary School here is excellent but you may want to leave after fifth grade graduation. The Middle School here is a joke, if you don't have the same thoughts and ideas as others here you will be bullied relentlessly. If you tell an administrator they most likely won't believe you. Especially if you tell on an athlete. Once you reach High School things get even worse, teachers are lackluster, all they do is read you the book and expect you to automatically pick it up and be ready for a test. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY.

My child has been at NFCS since kindergarten, and we have had more "problems" with the school than positives. My child has been in situations where the teachers clearly do not know the information they are supposed to be teaching...teachers have told the children that Europe is a country...that EVERYONE in the Philippines hates Christians...that ALL Muslims hate Christians...among other things...the teachers teach straight from the text books and worksheet and do not dare to deviate from what is "expected" of them..they do not encourage creative/free thinking...this school definitely does a lot of indoctrination...and provides false information to children at a very impressionable age. As far as providing exemplary education to compete with public schools..they are failing in that area as well..the children in the higher elementary classes struggle with properly writing a 5 paragrapg essay, as well in-depth and foundational math skills...and Spanish is taught via an on-line program with no qualified person proctoring the ELEMENTARY children.

This school is terrible for the engineering and sciences. I ran out of math and science courses to take and the only option for taking physics or calculus was to take it in this terrible self-directed online program. I was unprepared for engineering undergraduate programs and still to this day (in my PhD program), professor will reference how everyone learned some physics concept in high school, and I think to myself "Haha, yeah right, not at mine!" Luckily I had the motivation to catch up on this stuff but NFC did not make it any easier. I attended NFC for 11th and 12th grade only. Also, they teach that evolution is a myth and can't be proven, and that's just rediculous.

My perspective comes from being (1) a specialist who has worked in public, private and charter schools all over Leon County for over twenty years, and (2) the aunt to children who have attended NFC from preschool through middle/high school. I base my opinion on first hand knowledge of at least half of the public schools in Leon County, and here is what I know to be true: If I had a child, I would enroll my child at NFC. Public schools are now driven by the FCAT, the teacher's union is insuring that horrible teachers still have jobs, and God has been expelled. You cannot escape this truth regardless of where you go in the public schools. I see there are some parents who have issues with NFC on this site and their experiences may be 100% true. However, I'd like to offer a word of caution: the grass definitely is not greener elsewhere. There are good public schools with good teachers in Leon County, but the secular, progressive environment in which political correctness has run completely amuck and the Union keeps horrible teachers in classrooms is not the environment I would want my child in 196 days of the year. I would suggest staying at NFC and working to improve things there.

I attended NFCS from second grade until I graduated high school. I loved it. The teachers actually take the time to get to know you on a personal level and enjoy being in the class room. The academics are good, but I think they changed the curriculum since I went there. Your fellow peers are like your family and I am still in contact with a lot of people I graduated with or were younger than me. The chapel services are great. My favorite time of the year was during student revival, which is when I asked God to save me. The sports were great when I went there and the athletes had to actually earn their grades in order to play. All in all this school is great and I would send my kids there.

The leadership at NFCS is profoundly serious about providing a differentiating school environment. The school's ties to what was once Temple Baptist Church yield a strong community base that actively embraces the total school community of parents. One visit to a Friday night football game on campus will reveal how much families are committed to the school community. Parents from K-12 are engaged with one another... it is uplifting.

I have had a child graduate from here and had to hire tutors to catch him up for college. I have a younger student that I withdrew last year. The elementary used to be great. The new curriculum is sub-standard, the teachers overburdened and unsupported. Moral is very low. Money seems to be spent on refurbishing office space rather than in the classrooms. It's slowly becoming impossible to get into the school, let alone talk to administration or teachers. This used to be much easier! My child learned next to nothing last year. I know others with middle/high schoolers who are not returning for the same reasons. We feel that we wasted our money. The high school is cramming 30+ students in some classes and warehousing others in classrooms where they just put them on computers taking Florida Virtual School classes because they don't have the teachers for real classes. I could do that at home for FREE! The observation someone else made about sports is right on. I know of teachers who were let go to make room for a coach they wanted (they needed space for his wife to teach). As far as manners? The high school boys are RUDE, even to teachers, and get away with it if they play sports!

I have to completely disagree with the person who posted that the academics come second here. We have a child who is very involved in sports at NFC and we have never felt that the school put them before the academics. We have a junior who is in public high school here in Tallahassee, so we definitely have something to compare NFC to. He too would attend NFC, but they do not have a soccer program. Not only is the school excellent, but I have yet to walk into any other school where the young gentlemen are holding the doors for the ladies and where ALL of the children are expected to respect adults as well as one another. The teachers genuinely care about their students. We do not attend the church there nor has our daughter ever been asked to or even asked where she does attend church. I attended NFC for 3 years in the 80's and it is a very different school now. It was a great school then, but their were strict rules compared to today. I think a lot of people judge the school on what they have heard and not from experience. We are extremely pleased with the education. If you want a very safe, academically challenging and Christian education for your children, then this is the place.

Last modified North Florida Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12