Tamarac Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 880 students

Posted July 31, 2014

As a parent I have to say that there is not one good thing I can say about this school or it's staff. My 2 kids went to this school for only 2 years and it was the longest grueling 2 years we have ever encountered. They claim to stop bullying but it's a joke because some of the teachers bully more then the kids do (my sons teacher). The teachers they had are awful and the head principal is lazy and only cares about sitting at her desk drinking her Coffee Coolattas and handles nothing. Also when you go to her for a problem she defends the one that is wrong and makes the innocent one feel so belittled it's a disgrace. If you ask me I would NOT recommend this school to anyone. Also one particular staff member who works in the office is so unprofessional and rude. It amazes me how some of these people get hired.

Posted May 17, 2014

Tamarac Elementary is a great school and I highly recommend it. My son has learned a lot and the staff treated him like family, everyone is very respectful. My son is graduating in June and we are going to miss everyone from the school. The teachers are great, they have a lot of experience and are very kind and helpful; every single teacher that my son had was amazing. He had the highest scores in the FCAT and BAT exams and is in a gifted class with Ms. Ryals, who is a wonderful teacher. Mrs. Weber (Applegate), Mrs. Kaplan, and Ms. Laighold, were his teachers also, and I can recommend each of them as kind, professionals,and amazing persons. I thank the staff in Tamarac Elementary, for giving my son the best education and being supportive throughout these years. We will miss you guys!.

Posted April 18, 2014

I'm a parent that my son has been at Tamarac Elementary for 4 years now. I would like to take a few minutes and Thank all the staff at the Tamarac Elementary, I would like to start with my favorite one Ms Smith. Excellent teacher very experienced. Nice, sweet and funny. I wished that a teacher like her will follow my son until college. I want to mentioned also the other teachers that my son had the past three years. I will start with Ms Larsen, Ms Snider, Ms Bernstein. Special Thank You to Ms Ray the Principal. Thank You for everything!!!!!!

Posted March 5, 2014

I have been involved with Tamarac Elementary for 8 years. I have seen the change in Principals, decline in budget and change in demographics of the kids. Mrs. Ray has opened the lines of communication with parents (those who want to hear) and she and her staff have the students' education as a first priority. No school is perfect, nor are the parents or staff. The SAF Chair is also an avenue to use for school wide issues. Positive volunteers, without a personal agenda, are needed in the school.

Posted June 7, 2013

Some teachers are great, but most are not. This school has a high rate of retention into the first grade. There is no activities or projects whatsoever. The staff in the office is rude. If you want your child to be a failure, then this is the school for you.

Posted April 3, 2013

Back when I first started teaching, I had several offers, but held out for Tamarac Elementary. I have never regretted my decision, considering myself very lucky to work with such caring, dedicated people in an environment that feels like a family school on a very large campus. In addition to providing an excellent core curriculum, we offer a Garden Club to help enhance the beauty of our campus with its large butterfly garden and plethora of native species of plant life, Chess Club, Recorder Club, American Sign Language Signing Chorus, and Drama Club. I always enjoy meeting the parents and family members during our Curriculum Nights, and appreciate the supportive PTA. Despite real budgeting concerns that eliminated these considerations at many schools, we are fortunate to have specials that include music, art, media, and physical education (in an air conditioned gymnasium that was *beautifully* renovated earlier this school year). My sincere thanks goes out to all of the families who entrust their children to our care. It's a pleasure to work in such a wonderful, safe, enriching environment as we work to help those precious little people thrive!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 9, 2010

Too regimented in academics and too unstructured during co-curricular activities; very few fun learning programs; way too much hysteria over FCAT. Some teachers berate the children, other professionals yell and degrade the students, even the good performers. It's obvious the students get little discipline at home and constantly disrupt the classroom; this is NOT a school for a smart, well-behaved child. We spent 1st & 2nd grades there; I volunteered and saw a lot. Thankfully we moved out of the area and now love our school.

Posted February 12, 2010

I recently moved my son from one scool toTamarac Elementary thnking that it would be an even better school for him. Mind you, he had good grades at his previous school. My son is in 5th grade and now that I have moved him, he is struggling. He brings home so much homework that he has no time for outdoor activities. I believe that they focus more on FCAT than actual learning that they will need for their future. I am tired of having to try to figure out his homework. I do understand that he needs to prepare for middle school & than high school, but they just send too much home. I have a child in High School as well and she rarely comes home with homework; most learning is done in the class and mind you, they have 7 classes in one day. STOP FOCUSING ON FCAT!!!

Posted February 26, 2009

To the parent who wrote yesterday...How would your child do today if he took the FCAT? That is the true test. I had three children at Tamarac Elementary and they all did well there. My 6th grader (now in 8th grade) was more than prepared for middle school. Now my children are in another state and are still excelling thanks to the foundation that was built at Tamarac and our hard work at home. Not everyone can afford private school and even if you can, it doesn't mean that your child is receiving a better education. Tamarac isn't perfect but it is one of the best. I also feel that most of the staff and especially the principal are doing their best and they really care!

Posted February 25, 2009

We used to love this school until we saw the FCAT and big classes. They cared about FCAT bonuses and not education. Try Malachy in Tamarac. We moved our child there in 3rd grade and he excelled tremendously. No FCATs! They have so much more time with each child and every class is very small. Lots more benefits at this school!

Posted May 29, 2008

I am very happy that my 2 granddaughters started their education at Tamarac Elementary. One is now in middle school, but the other will soon be going into 5th grade. I can't say enough about the wonderful and caring teachers, staff and PTA which make Tamarac an excellent school.

Posted April 18, 2008

Both of my boys attend Tamarac ELementary. How safe I felt with my children attending school. As my older child needs to transition to middle school I am very scared. Tamarac has such a wonderful environment for young children. Although, I am nervous about my child leaving elementary I thank Tamarac for preparing my child for the future. Thanks to al special teachers, Mrs. Snider, Mrs. Moss, Mrs Herring, Mrs Grell, Mrs. COnlin, Mrs. Samuels, and Mr. Novajosky. Nothing buy good things to report

Posted November 22, 2007

Tamarac elementary is a superb school for my child.Her first grade teacher Mrs.Cohen is very supportive,patient,and kind.My daughter is truly happy in her classroom.And as a mom that makes me feel rest assured that each and every day my child goes to school she will be at home away from home

Posted November 17, 2007

Great school + great teachers + great staff = Successful Students! Tamarac is the best school for your children to start their education!

Posted November 14, 2007

Tamarac Elementary School is one big family. All the teachers and staff work together to help our children achieve academic success. They have some of the best programs around to help students succeed. The school works together with the parents and the community to ensure our children s needs are taken care of. They have one of the greatest PTA's I've ever seen. Add this all up together and the school gets an A+ rating from me!

Posted May 21, 2007

My daughter has attended tamarac elementary since 1st grade. Her teacher was ms. Cohen. She is an awesome teacher. I would definetly reccommend her for any student. Also in 3rd grade ms. Crocket was the best teacher, I came across for my daughter. She had the patience and took the time to explain to each student whatever they needed assistance with. She certainly deserves an awesome teacher of the year award. And again in 5th grade, my daughter loves ms. Steinberg. She is kind, sweet, and understanding with each student individually, she too deserves a teachers award for best teacher of the year. Personally, I want to thank all of the front office staff for the outstanding job they do in proctecting our children. And let's not forget, ms. Miller who does an outstanding job when it comes to helping people. Tamarac elementary rocks!

Posted January 29, 2007

Both of my children attend Tamarac Elementary. They love the school and all of their teachers have been FANTASTIC! The PTA does a great job with special events such as Winterfest and the Book Fairs, even though parent participation could be better. The kids look forward to these functions every year. The school administration is great! I know that these administrators and teachers truly love Tamarac Elementary and sincerely care for each and every child who attends.

Posted September 22, 2006

I felt that my child had a home away from home when he was at Tamarac Elementary. The respect,attention, and true care that my child received from his teachers throughout his elementary school years will never be forgotten. Tamarac Elementary School will always remain a great memory in my child and my hearts. The teachers dedication to their students was superb. I recommend Tamarac Elementary to any parent looking to give their child the very best in education, involvement, and a fantastic start that shows from the caring staff at the front office, and other supporting staff, to the awesome dedicated teachers, to the caring guidance from Deputy Lippek,all the way to Mrs. Seiler, Principal whose leadership shines throughout. The material given to the students each year prepares them well so that they can take on any challenge the faces ahead in middle school. Parent involvement is welcome and appreciated.

Posted June 8, 2006

Two of my children attended this school. I was very pleased with the teachers. Both of my children were high performers. Parents need to be more involved.

Posted June 5, 2006

No communication at all from the school to the parents.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

144 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

144 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

135 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

138 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

171 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

170 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. ROBERTA RAY
Fax number
  • (754) 322-8640

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7601 North University Drive