Cannella Elementary School 4

Posted April 16, 2014
This is the first year my daughter attends this school. She's a 3rd grader and has always struggle w/ reading. Here she has gotten a lot of help. She use to always be frustrated because she couldn't read as well as she does today. To me as a strict parent, this school year has been a blessing. I thank Mrs. Armstrong for listening to me as a concerned parent about my daughters academy. I can really see a progress and now. She loves to read. * I believe that as a parent we cannot blame teachers for everything. We as parents need to take time out to help our kids with what ever academic need they may have. Just think about helping up to 4 of your kids maybe 5 or 6 compared to one teacher helping 20 kids or more. Very tough. *

Posted July 24, 2013
Second time having my kids at this school, bad experience again. Some teachers did not show proficiency and capacity to handle kids. For years my son has suffered with ADHD, this is too much for some teachers who do not care about it. We were plenty of complains the whole year. Before the beginning of the year Staff offered help for my kid. Just lies. Good luck if you are the next parent.

Posted May 23, 2013
We realized about the level of this school, after moving to California and after putting him in another elementary school. In Cannella, the teachers in Kindergarten and 1st grade were so concerned about the child's development. Regular interaction with parents is a pattern in this school, giving feedback about the child's behavior and academic performance. We can specifically name the 2 teachers - Ms. Mattingly and Ms. Thurman who taught my son in KG and Ist grade respectively. They have always been very concerned about the kids. My kid's general knowledge level went very high within these 2 years. He always misses these things here in his new school.

Cannella Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2013
This is the first year my kids have attended this school and it has been by far the worst experience. You should lead by example and this school is poorly lead by the Principle. The teachers have given up on the children of this school because they do not have a positive work environment. There is more childish drama than dedication to educate the kids. My child's teacher does not even agree with the new curriculum set for the students how do I expect that she is willing to put forth effort to teach what she does not agree with. " A child will learn to read and write at there own pace they should not be required to complete this before the end of the year." I want my child to be challenged to learn and want them to be able to complete all task expected of them with a positive guidance of their teacher. The teachers and principle talk as if they look down on you and you are not educated, literally make you feel unwanted at this school. With in the first week my child was bullied and tried to bring it to the attention of the teacher, she blew it off and did not address the issue. I spoke with the teacher and she still did not address the issue to ensure my child is safe.

Posted May 21, 2013
I have been in this school district since 1992. My youngest son now age 31 went to Cannella. I was not happy with the school then. Over the years things changed. I have a 9 year old that goes to Cannella. The Principal Rachel Walters has not regard for parents. She makes you feel like you are not welcome at the school. The teachers there are great but believe me most have a bone to pick with this principal. I feel that this principal has brought the moral of most of the teachers down. I have a couple more years to go in this school and I would love to see this principal replaced so that Cannella can become an A school again.

Cannella Elementary School 3

Posted March 19, 2013
Cannella is a school which has a good PTA; however, the principle is not friendly and does not appear in my opinion to be very involved in the school in terms of being involved with the parents. I like my daughters Kindergarten teacher; however, she is out a lot an never on time. I will be glad once this year is over so I can move my daugther out.

Posted July 26, 2012
I have been to this school it is fun and the teachers and staff are nice and they work hard just to help children learn and have fun I all my teachers alot and I always had A/B honor roll no madder how hard I work the teachers help me and I am just a kid but I know more than my parents about the school because I was there and I know that I am kid but trust me the school , teachers , and staff are amazing and I wish I didn't grow up and stay there .

Posted September 25, 2011
My daughter has been in Cannella since Kindergarten and is now in 5th grade. She's an A/B honor roll, has had excellent teachers (some more awesome than others) but definitely Cannella is an inspiration in the Hillsborough School System. Until recently, I have been inspired by the way Administration performed. With the retirement of the previous principal, things have changed for, in my opinion, not the better. Some teachers and parents like the new principal... some don't. I personally do not. I am trying to deal with the changes as it is my daughter's last year there. She has an awesome 5th grade teacher and she still loves Cannella as do I. I just hope the new principal (who comes from Pinellas btw) just puts on the brakes and doesn't make too many changes at once.

Posted June 13, 2011
My daughter completd 5th gr this yr, and I agree with the previous parent that administration has slipped the last several yrs. The principal her first few yrs there was great. The last 2 not so impressed.

Posted March 18, 2011
im in 5th grade now and cannella has awesome teachers some of the kids are annoying but he school and teachers are great!!!!! go there

Cannella Elementary School
10707 Nixon Road, Tampa, FL  33624
Last modified Cannella Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cannella Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top