Tampa, FL

Gorrie Elementary School 3

Posted May 20, 2013
pros: good teachers, great community support and parent involvement. Highly affluent area..ie lots of private funding for the school and the arts have remained when other schools have cut back. Violin is part of the curriculum which my daughter really enjoys. cons: This school is the best in this area but below the national average. Obsessiveness about the FCAT and pressure on students to perform well. Very structured with busy work (papers) . So many other ways to be creative when teaching. I dont see fostering of a love of learning or non traditional avenues. I would like to see the school grow in these areas. The principal seems more concerned about appearances and status than getting to know the students or parents. After 2 years seeing her every day, she asked my husband and I if we were there for the preschool tour. There is a small area in north hyde park that the school pulls from that is lower income. There is a severe dichotomy of the "haves" and "have nots" . Not a lot of diversity. Lastly, safety is a concern with Gorrie being in a historic district. Anyone could easily hop the fence and get right into the school. No locked doors that require entry.

Posted January 31, 2013
We have 2 kids in this school and it has been top notch from day one! It is the best public elementary school in Tampa. The teachers are engaged and positive. We have a separate Foundation that supplies resources for the school that other Public schools do not have. The Principal is smart and driven. We recommend this highly!

Gorrie Elementary School 1

Posted June 09, 2012
My daughter started here for kindergarten and had a horrible experience.The teacher she had first off never smiled and just always looked like she hated her job. After the first few weeks my daughter started to cry at the very thought of going to school. We discovered that the teacher was yelling at the whole class and at my daughter. In one case my daughter asked the teacher for help with something and the teacher had her change her behavior card to yellow and my daughter then said she didn't understand the the teacher turned it to red. My daughter was horrified because she had never been in trouble before.. The teacher also erased her journal 5 times in one day saying she could not read the hand writing. She completely humiliated my daughter. When we went to the principle for help she did nothing. She said that she sees nothing wrong with that teacher. But I know for a fact that teacher has had many many complaints. My daughter had to go to therapy and I pulled her out of this school.

Posted November 08, 2011
The principal is 1st rate. The FMM lets Gorrie park in our lot every day but the 1st Fri monthly. Our aud max 385 is available for Gorrie FMM 809 W HORATIO ST TAMPA, FL 33606-2230 Apn for Membership Date: I hereby make application to become a member of the Friday Morning Musicale. $30.00 dues to accompany application. Active Members consist of those who appreciate the significance and importance of music and related arts in American culture, and may appear on programs when requested to do so, and will serve as luncheon host or hostess at two meetings, and will participate in all fund raising activities approved by the membership. Name: Address: City, zip: Phone with area code: Email Address: Interests (instruments played, voice, dance, etc.): Endorsed by: CN BN Please list information about your musical background, interests, and experience. I would like to serve on the ___ committee. Some examples of committees are: phone, lunch, fund raising, yearbook, program, guest book, chorus, piano accompanist, etc. Please make your check payable to the Friday Morning Musicale and send it to Dr. Carolyn D. Nicholson 2604 W JETTON AVE, TAMPA, FL 33629-5325 (813) 259-1438

Gorrie Elementary School 4

Posted October 05, 2010
I feel this school deserves a 4 out of 5. It would be hard for me to give a 5 because I believe that there is room for improvement. I have a first grader and a 5th grader here. We have had a very good experience every year except 4th grade. Her teacher did not send one email or update her website the whole year. Poor communication. This year is much bettter. The thing that puts Gorrie ahead of other schools is the parent involvement. This school has parents that make up for supplies and resources that the district doesn't provide. I find the children humble and very well-behaved relative to the affluent area from which they come. Most of the parents of these children have at least one parent that works outside of the home who are sending their kids to public

Posted March 27, 2010

Posted December 07, 2009
I have 2 kids that have been going here since K. Not only do they love it, but I do as well! Parents and teachers are both very involved. Help is always available when needed. Communications A+! Mrs. Slade (1st) is great!

Posted November 20, 2009
My daughter is in 2nd grade at Gorrie. I am highly impressed by the faculty and staff and the discipline in this school. If you can send your child to Gorrie, don't search anywhere else..

Posted July 14, 2009
My daughter attended Gorrie for 1st grade last year. Her instructor was wonderful. The reading instructor and her classroom faculty were approachable, compassionate, and worked miracles with her. She moved from a reading level of 4 to 16 in five months. The facilities are cramped and the lunchroom is in need of an updating.

Gorrie Elementary School 3

Posted May 24, 2009
My nieces go to this school. They often come home saying how bratty some of their classmates are. In my opinion parents should stop creating such an artificial environment for your kids, get a grip...it is a public school for God's sake! There are some kids that go there for the hot meal of the day. PTA should fundraise to purchase portables and break down some classrooms to bring their ratios down for real not just in paper. School should make an effort to retain good teachers. There are some people in their staff that are clogging the system. Teachers should also learn to treat all students equally, despite the fact that some parents give them big 'bonuses' throughout the year.

Gorrie Elementary School
705 West De Leon Street, Tampa, FL  33606
Last modified Gorrie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gorrie Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top