King High School

Public | 9-12 | 1826 students

Posted October 5, 2014

itely good and bad aspects of the school. The campus is bad, they seriously need to repaint the buildings. Also, there are some bad fights, muggings, weapons, drugs, and trespassing. But that is what you get for putting a school right on 56th and Sligh. However, that is just the few bad kids in the school. Overall, the people in traditional are not that bad and if you don't bother anyone, they won't bother you. However, as an IB student, it is phenomenal. The people are great, they are all super smart (it's almost impossible to be val here) and they are really chill. Teachers encourage you to excel in your studies and to join many clubs. I have to admit, the program is definitely very rigorous at King, but we had a 96% IB diploma pass rate last year, highest ever in county history, so it is all worth it at the end. We IB students probably have the most school spirit. So, if you are going to be in traditional, it might be a little hard but you can survive though it. If you are going to be in IB, definitely come to King, I'd say the best IB school in the county.

Posted July 28, 2014

The teachers are great at this school. The students are horrible. They are rude, direspectful,all they talk about is what clothes and shoes they have on and are always off topic in the classroom. The students are more focused on other things besides their education which makes it harder for their other class mates around them to focus becaise the teacher had to constatly stop teacher to get them in order.

Posted May 12, 2014

King High school I think its the best school in tampa ^_^ I think so and I dont care what the other people think

Posted August 13, 2013

This school is awful and I would never think about sending my child here. This school is home to some of the most ignorant children I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. Please anyone who sees this and is able to, fix this god forsaken school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2013

I personally believe that this school is going downhill. The campus isn't that great and no one has any consideration(or budget) on making it look better. The bathrooms are gross and I remember being a former student, waiting to go home to use my own. My best years were my freshman and sophomore. I felt as though I had more freedom than I did my junior and senior year. I did well academically and learned which teachers were the best and which were plain sorry. I connected with all my guidance counselors in order to control my education instead of being considered another passive student who had no interest in his/hers learning. Each coming year, rules were changed and established and I felt as if there was a rift on a student's freedom all the while the education remain crummy. Being a traditional student I was fully aware of the "wall" that was built between both IB and traditional. It was hard to communicate and associate with my IB friends unless we were in the same after school club or seen each other in the morning before classes began. I am now in college and my high school experience has been thrown in a vault into the back of my mind never to be heard of again.

Posted October 17, 2012

This is a great school. My son has been going there for 9,10,11. He is in the IB program and on the Varsity Football Team. He has also wresled for a season. I also had my oldest son go to Tampa Bay Tech not to compare the schools but King is a very organized school to help your student succeed. They are very engaged and hire very professional teachers that are really good and accomplished in their fields. I would recommend the school to anyone.

Posted October 4, 2012

The school has its pros and cons. I am currently a student there in 11th grade and I have to admit although it is not as bad as people in middle school said it would be, it is not a 7 hour a day experience that I enjoy. First of all, the kids are rude and misbehave a lot, and they have no respect for the teachers. Also, another big thing is that there is too many politics that go on. The current principal I can not say is doing a very fair job. As for teachers, they are basically split down the center, with a few exceptions here and there. They often do not make wise decisions when scheduling which teachers get which classes, and give upper level classes to either poor or inexperienced teachers. After my freshman year, things got a lot better. Sophmore year, with the exception of one teacher, everything was great. Stil waiting to see about this year.

Posted April 25, 2012

I am currently a student there and have been going for about two years now. The school is horrible. When the teachers try to enforce rules, the innocent get in trouble, the IB program gets everything good whereas traditional gets left overs or the used things. You might as well bring a bucket of pop corn to watch the (near) daily fights. The school is just dirty, and horrible. I had wonderful grades and in a matter of a year, my life was turned around completely just by the negativity in this school. The teachers just don't care, and seriously, if you're white... don't go there. You will be used and taken advantage of. If there is any other option and you actually care about your child.... do not send them to this school, unless they will be in IB.

Posted May 3, 2011

I'm a current student at King and it is a very bad school. It is dirty, poor, and the curriculum is pretty horrible. Firstof all, all of the money the school gets goes to the IB program. They all have new books while everyone, even honors and AP classes, in the traditional program get their old books or just have to deal with books from 10-15 years ago. The teachers are on the lazy side and the school does not enforce the "zero tolerance policy". Kids fight all the time and don't get in trouble. I myself have been teased because of my race. If you're white, this school is not for you. The teachers know this and do nothing. The school itself is dirty. I'm not even sure if we have a janitor., although the IB hall is always nice. I have been to another high school before and I enjoyed going to tha school. I was proud to go to that school. I'm not proud of KIng. If I had knwon that King was like this, I would have picked a different school. King needs to follow the district policy and also need to pay more attention to the traditional students.

Posted September 29, 2010

This school has been nothing good in my life over the course of my four years. I found it rather impressive that king had such a high rating on the site, but I realized that it was obtained only from IB students. From my point of view, the school lacks good leadership and needs a new principle. Most of the Staff tends to be on the lazy side. I learned don't drive a car to school that costs over 10,000 dollars because it will get decimated out of hatred. I realize one star seems harsh, but unless your a student going into the IB program it is Unsatisfactory. Spend the extra 30 seconds and drive down the road to Tampa Bay Tech.

Posted December 29, 2009

I am currently a student at King High School, and in my two years at King, have found that this school has its pros and cons. To begin, I am a student in the IB program at King, which is a phenomenal program with a great director and countless experienced and caring teachers. Although the workload is challenging and unbearable at times, there is a great sense of community amoung IB students, teachers, and parents. However, despite all the great things that IB has to offer, the school is in a horrible area, and can be quite dangerous at times. There are arrests, threats, often fights. Do not send your child here if you would like them to be in a safe and discliplined environment. King, built in the 1960's, is in a shameful state of disrepair. Thankfully though, if King High were updated and safer, it would recieve an A+!

Posted December 5, 2008

Im a student in the IB program. The work is hard and challenging but it is worth it. I love the IB culture. Yes, it has a bad location and yes riding the bus is not fun. I say from experience.

Posted April 26, 2007

As a local resident for over 25 years I would like to comment on the 'poor location' mentioned in several comments. When the school was built, it was not a poor location, but the area has changed. It may be an older school, but it has the latest books and has a high degree of modern technology available for students. King High is a very good school and does a tremendous job working with the very diverse population that it serves. My experience with King is as a staff member, a parent of children who have graduated from King, as the spouse of a teacher and as a community member -- I have viewed all sides. King High has an underserved poor reputation but most of the faculty/staff and students love it.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted April 19, 2007

I am currently a teacher at King and find that it does get a bad rap because of location, but it is not the only school in this nation that is in a bad location and it is a school with many positive points. I have not only taught there for over 10 years but both my sons and I and my husband graduated from there. The academics are above par in most areas and the elective departments are some of the best (the band program is a perfect example of that.) Athletics are strong in some areas, weak in others but most of our teachers (and all our administrators) are there for the betterment of our students. I am proud of my work and my work location. It's too bad that most of what we hear about our schools are only the negatives.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 2, 2006

King is not about what type of neighborhood its in or the IB program, Im in traditional and I learn alot, I have band practice mondays and thursdays and then fridays I have to perform at the football games, thats hours taking off of my homework/study time, but you know what I still manage to get it done and with a passing grade, its the same with IB students, they're very taleneted but just because you're not in the IB program dosent mean your not smart or your a bad child.

Posted June 29, 2006

My son was in the ib program at king. The ib program requires a lot of home study. Bottom line: the king hs ib is an academically demanding program at an older poorly located school.

Posted June 29, 2006

I have 1 that graduated from King IB and one that will enter IB in August; IB is great for the focused pre-college student; definetly alot of hard work and time. College offers roll in though; I have a good experiences with teachers but the athletic dept stinks! The county officials need to hear this one. School is in a negative neighborhood; however, when our children go to college they must be socially able to deal with all cultures. By their senior year, the kids seem to be a close group because they all have stuck it out together.

Posted April 25, 2006

Located in a poorer/industrial part of Tampa, King has a poor reputation locally. It is where the public school system has placed the local IB (International Baccalaureate) program. In the past IB staff have not seemed responsive, helpful, or interested in individual student success. Parents don't seem well informed or welcome to participate. There are many requirements but little guideance/help for IB students to meet these. IB student bus riders are required to travel up to 2 hours to and from school with a bus change in between, meaning 4 hours a day of travel--waiting in the dark (and potential danger) at 530am and getting home after 5pm. Typically IB programs require lots of homework and extracurricular activities. With 4 hours of travel daily, this cuts into both of these and social life with friends.

Posted January 10, 2006

My son just transferred to King mid-year having had a very UNsatisfactory academic and social experience at another local magnet program which came highly recommended by his middle school principal when he failed to qualify for IB. The IB program at King is ideal, but the rest of the school is about par with any other in our area. What school isn't in a bad neighborhood? Write your Congressman...I believe it is much better to have my son attending a neighborhood school than taking a 1.5 hr long bus ride at 6am and returning at 5pm everyday. Now he can get involved in after school activities and my husband and I can participate in school activities more often too. The advanced college prep program he is in is excellent so I find the assertion that 'King's only a good school if you're in IB' to be a myth.

Posted June 30, 2005

this school is very diverse culturally. the school is in an ever increasing bad neighborhood. they have, also, and wonderful IB program which is quite separate from the school itself, which is how they are rated nationally, but if you child does not qualify for IB then I would consider sending him/her to another school. the school is older and doesn't have the modern and up to date materials needed such as, newer books and computer accessibility.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

482 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

450 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

471 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

416 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

247 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

516 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

416 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

406 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 5%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music