1,889 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

King has excellent academics, establishing some awesome coaches and athletic program this year, top #1 band, and as always some great clubs! The administration and guidance are professionals. Teachers are accomplished and respectful. Our son attends IB, plays football, serves on National Honor Society, PRIDE, and manages his time to participate in the #1 event Relay For Life to help community. Parents are looking forward to serving for another school year. Its alot of fun! Overall a "great" school!

Develops character: Agree

yes, King HS develops honesty, integrity, and fairness by administration, faculty, coaches demanding excellence from themselves as well as the children by setting/attaining high standards.

Although king high school has a good IB program it is not worth loosing your child over. My daughter was in the program and I pulled her out earlier this year. My daughter was cutting herself and when I brought it to the attention of Mrs. Nishira Mitchell she informed me she "was aware this was happening." So this went on all year and she never once thought to inform the parents so we could address it with our children. It begins in the home and my daughter threatened suicide and had been cutting herself for quite sometime. I think it is beyond appalling that an assistant principle who is there to help protect the children knew that cutting was taking place amongst multiple children and nothing was said to anyone and she had the nerve to acknowledge she knew this was taken place. The school should be very blessed a law suit didn't take place. I would look else where parents for an IB school that cares about the students and not just the great scores they bring to the school to make their self look good. My child was moved to Wharton High School where she is thriving. There is no more cutting and the administration is open and honest. Look elsewhere parents as you do have a choice.

King high school is not only dirty, unkempt, and essentially a cesspool for future illiterate inmates but a community of uncaring teachers and staff. (Before you dismiss this review believing it came from an angry student who doesn't care about their education I'll inform you that I am a straight A student who cares about her education more than anything else in the world but King is anything but an environment to learn). Never in my life have I met a worse person than Ms.Mitchell, an assistant principal at king (who has the most revolting attitude towards every student she comes in contact with) who when she isn't giving out unnecessary dress code citations to unsuspecting girls for things as ridiculous as shorts a millimeter too short and shirts that have a slightly translucent back is using her power to otherwise harass the students of King High. The rest of the administrative staff is also utterly useless as even Mr.Rowan does nothing to punish students who actually do bad things like bully and harass others although at the beginning of each year the entire student body has to endure an hour long assembly on the consequences of bullying and how the staff will be very strict when it comes to these sorts of things- this is the an immense lie that they repeat all year long. To stray from the problems the staff has (although there are many more) the teachers at King are also a big problem in and of themselves; while there is a minute amount of teachers who actually care about their students (with the exception of most of the IB teachers and very few traditional/KAPS teachers) a vast majority of the teachers could not care less about the wellbeing and the grades of their students and when offered jobs at any other high school, jump at the chance to leave King. Students who transfer from other high schools immediately notice the uncleanliness of the school and later notice the issues with the staff, from the firsthand accounts of these unfortunate students who had to downgrade schools, King is the worst school they have ever attended and the students who had the misfortune of being zoned at King and could not attend another school, by the sad indiscretions of their parents also agree that King, as a whole is atrocious.

I was a bit nervous about having my daughter attend this school due to; it's reputation, the long bus ride (dd is in the IB program so has to do the magnet bus marathon), the fact that it is such a large school, and the challenge of the IB course load. My daughter loves it!! She even enjoys the long bus ride home as she gets time to socialize with friends. The teachers and staff have been very responsive to any concerns that I have had and do a great job of keeping the lines of communication open. There is one teacher that does not communicate well, but she will be retiring after this year :) The course load is challenging, but manageable. I was very happy to see that they encourage the children to participate in clubs, the arts, and athletics.

We are foreigners. My son joined ESL program in King High School. All his teachers are very helpful. My son loves his school. The Addmission Office, Guidance and Student Affairs are perfect. It is surprising that in such a big school they show special interest to every individual. We were lucky to live close and send my son there. I wish he could continue but it is not possible since we are foreigners he has to go to a private school after a crrtain time. Thanks to King High School. Fulya Okutur

This school is no heck of a school.But the program and teachers my son have,do at least try to help him to get his grades and credits so he can graduate.

Horrible. Inefficient, most teachers are there to babysit and only try hard when the exam bonus comes around. Unsafe environment. Barely answers the phone for anything. In order to see an administrator you have to WALK IN and cause a huge scene.

I'm very happy with my decision to choose King for my daughter. Great IB program. The teachers and students are great. A lot of home work every single day . They will be prepare to go to university easily .

itely good and bad aspects of the school. The campus is bad, they seriously need to repaint the buildings. Also, there are some bad fights, muggings, weapons, drugs, and trespassing. But that is what you get for putting a school right on 56th and Sligh. However, that is just the few bad kids in the school. Overall, the people in traditional are not that bad and if you don't bother anyone, they won't bother you. However, as an IB student, it is phenomenal. The people are great, they are all super smart (it's almost impossible to be val here) and they are really chill. Teachers encourage you to excel in your studies and to join many clubs. I have to admit, the program is definitely very rigorous at King, but we had a 96% IB diploma pass rate last year, highest ever in county history, so it is all worth it at the end. We IB students probably have the most school spirit. So, if you are going to be in traditional, it might be a little hard but you can survive though it. If you are going to be in IB, definitely come to King, I'd say the best IB school in the county.

Last modified King High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.