Henderson Hammock Charter School

Charter | K-8 | 1100 students

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

I am an educator here at Henderson Hammock. I truly love coming to work each morning because of the family atmosphere at our school. The faculty, parents, and students are so supportive and excited to try new things. There are dozens of after school programs, as well as sports programs, for our students to particpate in. There is an evident amount of comradery that keeps us all motivated and supporting eachother!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

Henderson Hamock is a wonderful school, my grandson loves going to school every day. He loves his teacher!

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

Great school and it keeps getting better each year. My daughters absolutely love going to this school. Eventhough I don't spend much time at school due to work, I have open communication with the teachers and the principal. We as parents need to learn that if we have an issue with the school, we need to talk to the school directly to get a solution. Talking bad about the school to other parents is not going to fix the problems.

Posted Thursday, October 16, 2014

This is our third year at this school. My son has loved every year. The environment is very family-like, firm, education based, but incredibly fun. The teachers seem to love their jobs, and the children, and the administration, and it shows. The extra-curricular activities are primarily for middleschoolers. I love the uniforms, encourages the focus on education, not fashion. While I do wish that carline wasn't such a frequent complaint, the school is doing amazing when you consider that they have almost 1200 students, and they are almost ALL dropped off, unlike most schools that transport students using buses. Most of all, I think that parents need to remember that we all CHOSE this school, and PARENTS need to do their share, as the school is certainly doing more than theirs.

Posted September 26, 2014

I used to be a student here during their second year and I hated it. Everything the first year was wonderful! Seems like my teachers just pick favorites. The kids here are so mean! I have great friends though but I hate how the carline is set up too! They don't let us talk at lunch, or in the hall! We only have recess half of the year in our middle school year. A couple of the teachers are really snotty. I hate how this school is set up. 25 kids per class? Really? That's way too much. In my new school, there's 15 per class. I hate the company and when I'm older I WILL NEVER send anyone here.

Posted April 2, 2014

I don't ever write reviews but I am sick and tired of some parents who take things to the extreme. My son has been a student here for 2 years, there have been some bumps but nothing that has not been addressed and solved in a timely way. The car line has gotten much better and they work on it all the time. Principle is different from last year but not bad. When I see her she knows all kids by name and is very open and approachable. As soon as I walk into the office they know who I am and my kid. It is a close knit environment and that is what I was looking for. He is doing very well in school and has learned so much. Common core well every school will be getting that so deal with it. I like that there is more structure and I find it easy to communicate. They do have PE. AND my kid comes home every week with the new Spanish words he learned. He is offered chorus and other electives after school. I feel you get out if things what you put in. If you come on here and throw the F Bombs everywhere I can see what kid of attitude you are going in with to take care of your issues at the school. Maybe take a different approach.. That goes for any school you decide to put your kids in.

Posted March 21, 2014

Extremely poor communication. My son has been attending for two years. Even though last year was the schools first year I thought everything went well. Sure there were hiccups, but problems got fixed. I received an email from the principal every other day, some were repetitive but at least I was aware what was going on! Then they decided to move the principal and the vice principal moved up. I can count on two hands how often I've heard from her all year. Unless it's a fundraiser, which happens every other week. Then they bombard you asking for money. Yet they are still unclear on details. There was recently a Jump for Heart fundraiser, I received two flyers telling my son what he can get if people donate so much money, still have no idea when it is. For all I know it could be over. They also decided to get a new online system, which is bizarre since it took half of last school year to get that one working right. This one doesn't tell you anything about what's going on, except your child's grades, if the teacher updates as they should. Lastly, my son has been taking Spanish for two years there, can't say anything. Apparently they watch a lot of movies. Very frustrating this year.

Posted February 27, 2014

No communication. I'm asking for help and nobody care. I am a mom with 2 babies and my son who is in the first grade. It is very frustrated to do HW for my babies; they cry, etc. I asked to many times for help and nobody helps me :( . Bad communication.

Posted February 1, 2014

I'm a 7th grade student at HHCS and I love this school. The teachers are on top of our work. I have been in that school since 2012. And I love it. The thing I dislike is the PDA rule. No hugging,high fives,or etc. Really I think (and every single middle school student) that's messed up . But I guess that's what it is.

Posted January 26, 2014

I have a 2nd and 6th grader in this school and both enjoy it. My oldest follows an IEP and his teachers are generally supportive. There are a couple of teachers who do not communicate as much as i would like about his academic challenges but, overall, very happy. I get daily emails from 3 teachers, i speak to 1 a few times a week in car line and his aide is easily accessed via email. The curriculum is challenging and relevant. My youngest has an attentive and very involved teacher ......she communicates any issues in a timely manner and works quickly to resolve any concerns i have. My biggest wish is that the teachers wore uniforms but that's a personal preference. Pick up and drop off are a traffic challenge....but Given the choices in my district, Henderson was an easy choice. We will recommit next year. Yes, they have frequent fund raiser and it does require a minimum amount of involvement from parents, but it is no worse then other schools. The uniforms are about 30.00 a set but I've only had to buy 3 sets, the office attendant advised me to just rotate them through the season as opposed to buying new ones for the brief cold (even if they do get a percetage back)

Posted December 18, 2013

Its like a Small Prison, No facilities, No x-tra curricular activities, Student dont get BOOKS, there is tutoring, Teachers are Marginal, and uninformed, and some are just Trouble makers, Some just go through the motions, Bad location, would not recommend.

Posted November 15, 2013

I have not been very impressed by this school and the faculty and staff at all this year. Car lines for pick up and drop off are extremely slow to the point where they cause severe congestion on the main roads. The school has not yet adopted a way to fix this. Our child's kindergarten teacher is unsupportive and has a rude attitude. Lunch is hectic and most days my child comes home with her lunch box full and starving since she didn't get enough time to eat. Money is everything for this school. I get at least 1 email a week asking for donations, money, ect. For example, to wear a non uniform shirt on fridays the kids have to pay! Are you kidding me? I think that if the school administrators focused more on education and not so much on money and what type of belt the kids are wearing they would have better outcomes. Also, if your child is going into the younger classes be careful. At car line I actually witnessed a staff member usher my 5 year old into the wrong car. I am NOT planning on having my child in this school next year. Do your child a favor and apply to different charter schools in the area that has their things in order.

Posted October 8, 2013

I am very impressed with this school. My wife and I are extremely satisfied with the academics, student body, and friendly staff. The teachers are phenomenal and support students education 100%. Our daughter has greatly improved on all levels and has been an honor roll student since she has begun. Very pleased with what Henderson has to offer!

Posted July 28, 2013

love the school cant be any happier with the teachers and staff and this year i want locker its hard to lug around a bunch of stuff

Posted June 11, 2013

My son attended kindergarten this year. He teacher was phenomenal. So impressed with everything that he learned this year. She was always opened and available when needed. Some chaos at the beginning of the year but everything smoothed out by the end of the year.

Posted June 5, 2013

I have two children that attend to two different grades, the teachers assigned to them always answered my questions and helped me with any difficulties they were going through, I highly recommend this school, not onlny in the academic area but the recreational, as my kids learn and have fun, because the school is responsible to have a good balance when they entertain and educate my children.

Posted June 4, 2013

As with all new schools there were a few speed bumps along the way, but overall it was a good first year. My child was at a public school for the first 3 years and transferred to HHCS and I am glad we made the switch. My child had some academic struggles this year, but I do not fault HHCS, I fault his past school. My child s teacher has worked hard to get my child back on track and has involved us every step of the way! I have had contact with the administrative staff, teachers, Asst Principal and the Principal and have found them to be very helpful and supportive. If I had one thing that I would like to see improvement on that would be the SIS (Student Information System). I would like to see the class/homework assignments posted the first day of the 9 weeks so I could prepare and help my child if I see struggles with the assigned work prior to a grade for the work being given. I d like to thank all the staff at HHCS for a GREAT Inaugural year!

Posted April 5, 2013

School is over croweded for the lower level grades. 25 students per teacher in rooms that are too small. School makes big promises but doesn't deliver. Not time for the teachers to focus on the idividaul students. Check teacher qualifications. School started hiring unqualified teachers because they couldn't keep the certified teachers. Great ideas for school but lacks basic supplies.

Posted March 7, 2013

This school does nothing about bullying!!!! All because they are new and dont want to ruuin their rep. Well be not doing anything about it they are already ruining their rep. I will do something about it!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

109 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

109 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

123 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

121 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

This school did not receive a grade in 2011-2012.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school