2,330 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
Again, nothing beyond academics, football and donations appears to be a priority at this school.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
All they care about is academics, football and donations. If they cared about kids at all, it wouldn't be so hard to communicate with teachers or get in to see the guidance counselor.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted October 20, 2015
The fact is, they barely teach. My child doesn't learn. He memorizes, regurgitates and then forgets it all when the test is over. There is no genuine learning happening.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted October 20, 2015
The teachers at this school use class time for busywork and then send them home to spend hours and hours on homework. My child used to love school and now he despises it.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted October 20, 2015
If pushing students to their mental and emotional breaking points accomplishes this, then yes, they do. If truly educating a child to be a critical thinker who can solve problems and discuss topics intelligently is the criteria, then no, they don't.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted October 20, 2015
I don't know what they promote. All I get are 8 million tweets from the school about every single score from every single sport and a lot of tweets about scholarships that my child isn't old enough to apply for yet.

Plant High School 3

Posted October 20, 2015
Plant puts a huge amount of emphasis on college prep which is great but the homework load is absolutely ridiculous. They have my child for nearly 8 hrs a day and then give him another 3-4 hrs of homework per night. Meanwhile, I have no idea what his grades are in at least half his classes because only a handful of teachers update Edsby in a timely manner, if at all. Teachers rarely respond to emails or messages on Edsby and if you can get anyone from the administration or guidance to respond to you, consider yourself lucky.

Plant High School 1

Posted July 29, 2015
I, a former student of Plant High School, have attended many different schools throughout my childhood due to my parents job and I can tell you that Hillsborough County Schools were the worst experience for me. This school only cares about tests and GPAs, and having a good reputation. Colleges are seeing how a student challenges themselves in their current high school situation, and because Plant has over thirty AP classes, upper classmen are forced to pile on five to six AP classes a year in order to get into a state university. This is extremely stressful and time consuming and I personally wish that students could take AP courses in subjects that they are passionate about, instead of everything. I went to Plant high school freshmen year and was told all of the standardized tests were being changed that year. They were no longer mulitple choice, you had to type in answers, drag, check, etc. My geometry teacher, in an attempt to prepare us, changed our regular classroom tests into the format our new end of year assesments would be. Ofcourse, as expected, alot of grades dropped, being that it was much harder. The end of the year approached and I felt confident that I would pass this test. This test also was going to count as thirty percent of our final grade. A few days before the test I was told that the state would not let us use or calculators we had been using the whole year in preparation for this test, so I purchased the approved one and spent my whole weekend in anxiety trying to figure out how to use the trigonometry functions on the calculator. I took the test and felt pretty okay about it. A few weeks later, the last day of school was close and my math teacher informed us that our tests would not count because the people supposed to grade them did not have time to get all of them graded. I about cried because all of the stress and hard work I put into it was for nothing. The teachers are another issue that Plant needs to work on. I had a few teachers who I didn't even feel comfortable asking a question because they were so rude, and some who had no idea what they were even teaching. In conclusion, this school was an awful experience and the state needs to get their act together, and figure out how they are testing us because it is absolutely ridiculous to put a student through so much stress and have it all be for nothing.

Plant High School 1

Posted May 11, 2015
My children come home everyday not in a good mood. She says that some teachers are rude and yells at you for no reason and the kids are cocky and rude. The first day when she needed help there were no one there to help and when she found one they didn't even answer her question fully. When we transferred to Bloomindale High School their was so much help and their music industry is phenomenal.The teachers helps their students and the extracurricular activities were great to

Plant High School 5

Posted March 02, 2013
Here's the problem, we all need to make sure that fairness is infiltrated throughout schools. That would solve many problems currently in all schools. Entitlement is what I'm reading. We're looking for a school in this area, and wanted what was best for our children that two have special needs, one adopted and exposed to alcohol. Any suggestions about this school, Currently we pay for Catholic schools in Michigan.

2415 South Himes Avenue, Tampa, FL  33629
Last modified Plant High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.