Roosevelt Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 720 students

Opened in 1925, Roosevelt offers tradition melded with modern flare.

Posted September 27, 2012

The principal caters to the mom's who volunteer. She creates a climate that is not inclusive. Some people have left which creates more of the same problems related to an overly powerful group of parents. It is almost like it is not a public school. The FCAT is the one reminder that the school is public. Parents seem to be very insensitive to anyone different than them. Teachers would get a higher rating but they are constrained by the FCAT. It is almost like caring teachers cannot go the extra mile and help a kid.

Posted June 28, 2012

I went to this school for 6 years and loved every one of them during the last week of my 5th grade year I (and every one else) felt like a movie star I felt really connected with all my and teachers and they help me learn so much during the beggining of the year I could hardly stand reading now all my parents say is "your still reading!" This is a great school 6 stars and two thumbs up!

Posted June 14, 2012

I visited my granddaughter, who is in kindergarten,, for lunch on May 23, 2012. It was my first visit to Roosevelt. It was so new to me I had to mapquest it to find it. It is a true gem! The school is a well kept older school hidden in a quaint neighborhood in South Tampa. As I entered the main office the staff was very friendly and helpful. My granddaughter was called to the main office with a classmate to escort me to her class. I was welcomed by her teacher and observed class activites for several minutes until lunch. At lunch I observed a child eating with his parents in celebration of his birthday. My granddaughter was very proud of her school and pointed out the painting of the Rough Rider on the wall. She said, "that is what I am . . a Roosevelt Rough Rider." She was so happy and proud to "showcase" her school, Roosevelt. I commend Roosevelt as it appeared that ALL the students felt loved and appreciated. What a wonderful learning environment!!

Posted June 5, 2012

I have been in this school for 6 years and my daughter was in the first ever PRE-K program. I love the parental involvement and feel that's the reason for the strength of the school character as well as overall academic achievement. It's extremely old which makes it part of the historical society. It's kept up with regard to the preservation and needs but it's good to know our money is going toward TEACHING and FUNDING for education, rather than APPEARANCES of the school overall. Remember when reading one of the posts below: THE FARMER WITH THE BIGGEST HAT, DOESN"T ALWAYS HAVE THE BEST CATTLE. This school is remarkable INSIDE AND OUT. This school continuously does tremendous on the F-CAT testing. They teach at a higher standard than the FLORIDA STANDARD. Great teachers, parental involvement and a strong community support, make it better than ANY competing school. One problem I had: NO MANDATORY UNIFORMS. The other elementary schools offered it. I GIVE THIS SCHOOL 6 starts. It deserves more than 5.

Posted October 25, 2011

Roosevelt is a fantastic school. I intentionally moved to this area because I knew this school received so much assistance from the parents. I am a working, single mom and cannot express how good I feel knowing my kid is getting so much attention during the day - both from teachers and volunteers. She loves her school, is allowed to do work at her academic level and is not kept back in the crowd. I cannot praise the school enough. Great work by everyone!

Posted September 5, 2011

5 stars is an understatement. My two siblings and I went to this school ourselves (Class of 2004, 2008, and 2009) and it's the best school I've ever attended! The staff and faculty are great, they're friendly, supportive, and just good people in general. It's a very community/parent oriented and sociable school. They have Writing, Reading, Math, and Science classes, along with Physical Education, Technology, and Music classes (along with clubs and yearly plays). Every year the students test scores are spectacular, due to the wonderful learning environment. Every year the classes get a little more difficult as your child graduates to the next grade level, and when it's time for middle school, 5th graders are as prepared as they can be. And now, finishing my middle school career, I've realized I honestly wouldn't be the same person if I hadn't gone to this school. Everyday was a great one, and every year was life-changing. If I were you, I wouldn't send my kids to any other school. BULLY! BULLY!

Posted February 11, 2011

Roosevelt is a great school. We moved here from out of state and did our research before buying in the expensive south Tampa area. We love being so close to the bay but the real hidden treasure is Roosevelt Elementary! We have a new principal who is working to supplement the school with art, strings and foreign language. I have 3 children at this school who feel loved everyday. Yes, parents are involved but I feel like that supplements what teachers are able to give to our kids. I am disappointed in the funding given by the state of Florida for education overall, specifically in the state's definition of a "full" day. The result is a lot of early release days. Next year, these days may become delay start. Either way, less time in the classroom means less education. With that said, I love living in south Tampa and there is no other school I would send my 3 daughters to. Another awesome thing at our school is the Dad's club involvement. The dad's host a bowling event, movie night, campfire, golf tourney & more. If your child is into acting, there is a great grade level play put on each year. Can't wait to meet you at Roosevelt!!

Posted February 9, 2011

My daughter has attended Roosevelt since K5. She is now in 4th grade. Last year she took the FCAT (Florida's standardized test) and received a perfect score. If you check the scores from all the other schools in the area Roosevelt scores highest each and every year, and there are other very good schools in the surrounding area. This year she has been invited to Duke University's TIP program for gifted students in the top 5% of their peers. My wife and I do work with her but Roosevelt deserves much of the credit. We could send her to any school in the city and Roosevelt remains our 1st choice without a doubt.

Posted October 1, 2009

Couldn't ask for a better school. Faculty does an amazing job.

Posted July 4, 2008

I have actually told friends who are sending their kids to private school that they are waisting their money. The teachers are dedicated and I feel that over all it's been a positive experience for my children. You're always going to that I didn't care for isn't there any more. As for the parent who seemed to be so disappointed in the school, I don't get it. Sure on a personal level I find wealthy soccer moms to be annoying but you can't fault anyone who wants to be involved in their kid's lives. The fact is that it's a great school and the grades prove it, not to mention the fact that my kids love it. Great principal and a great staff.

Posted June 15, 2008

The reviewer of 6/7/08 either has chosen the wrong Roosevelt EL to review or has never been to the school! In the past five years I have seen nothing but positive changes in the school's academic focus and programs. The staff is well qualified. They love their chosen profession and our children. The beautiful 80 year old facility is neither run-down or dirty. It is the pride of our community! How is it possible that there is ever too much parental involvement? We are fortunate to have a principal that allows and encourages us to be involved. Roosevelt is the best school in South Tampa. This doesn't happen by chance... everyone working together towards a common goal is how that happens. If your child didn't get the help they need, you should have talked to the teacher, assistant principal or principal. Bully, Bully Rough Riders!

Posted June 14, 2008

I believe that the person who wrote the review on 6/7/08 has never been to the school! I have had children at this school for 10 years and let me tell you the amazing positive transformation in this school during the last 5 years, coincidentally the same amount of time the the current principal has been there! Academics are the focus! It is refreshing to have a school allow so much parent involvement. And as for the comment about too much parental involvement, how is that even possible? Involvement is our responsibility as parents! The staff has excellent credentials, they are caring and loving. My children always cry on the last day because 'they will miss their teacher.' The facility is anything but run down and dirty. It is well-kept, beautiful 80 year old building! Bully Bully Rough Riders! Keep up the great work!

Posted June 7, 2008

While this school has great scores acedemically, i do not believe it is mainly due to the teachers, but yet, the parents. This school has a bit to much parental involvement (they pretty much run the school) the parents get whatever they want and the staff os not supported in any way. The principal does things and makes choices that are not in the students best intrest, just to please parents. The school is dirty and run down. With all the money that this school has, where is it going? The school is more focused of social activities rather than strong acedemics. Ask any primary teacher if they teach writing. The answer will prbably be no. Do not be fooled by this school. It is very poorly ran. The struggling students at this school will receive very little support. Staff and administration are lacking.

Posted August 15, 2007

Roosevelt Elementary has exceeded all of our expectations! Every year, I think 'it can't get better', and IT DOES. The excellent education, support and love our son has received in his 4 years here is extraordinary. He can't wait to get to school in the morning. As he puts it, 'this school rocks!' We are very fortunate to have a school of this calibre in S. Tampa.

Posted July 25, 2007

This is an excellent school! The staff give 110% to the students!

Posted February 12, 2006

Very good academic support from teachers and a variety of extracurricular activities for students join after school. Very organized in celebrating students' achievements. Parents are extremely involved and have great volunteer support.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 9, 2005

Roosevelt is an exceptional school. It has a smaller population of students (around 500) which allows the principal and staff to know students as individuals. The teachers are caring, well-trained, and supportive. There is strong parent involvement as well. All students are expected to do their best and are given the support to achieve. Excellent music program! Many after school activities/clubs offered. Strong academic achievement in all grade levels. Highly recommended!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 1, 2005

Quality of academic programs is very good, have to follow Florida public school guidelines. Music program strong, art is good, but not enough time spent on it, sports and extracurricular activiities are good. Parent involvment has been excellent in the past, seems to be dropping only due to lack of parking and ease of getting into the school.

Posted June 19, 2003

In general, Roosevelt has been a good school for my daughter. She has just completed 3rd grade. I would like to see more communications with the parents at the 'secondary level'. My daughter often times did not understand an assignment, or understand why she received a bad grade. As a parent, I did not get enough information from the teachers to 'rework' the assignment with my daughter so that she had a better understanding. While she finished 3rd grade with above average grades, she could have had exceptional grades if I could have worked more closely with her. It would be helpful to know if my child is struggling with a subject... rather than finding out with a less than average grade on her report card! While I'm sure that the schools wants to teach the secondary level child to be independent, when they see a struggle, they should involve the parent immediately! I think, like myself, most parents will provide that one-on-one support for their child. The teacher can teach the class better when all of the students are on the 'same level'. Better communications, assistance finding extra curricular training/study materials, and assignment outlines will help me help my child succeed, and will make less work for the teacher! We will all Win!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

126 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

118 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

118 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

98 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Gifted specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:15 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MS. CHRISTINA DICKENS
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (813) 233-3577

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Rock band
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Parents volunteer in all areas of our sc
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Visit

Preschool
Elementary school

How to apply

Does this school have an application or enrollment process?

Planning Ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Coleman Middle School