Shore Elementary Magnet School 3

Posted April 10, 2014
My daughter has attended Philip Shore for 3 years. Each year her teachers have left for some reason or another. When I've asked about why her teachers keep leaving I was told they have a 3-6mo turn around with their teachers. Due to the teachers leaving in the middle of a school year or like this year they have left 2months prior to the end of the year my child has lost out on taking elective classes the reason she attends this school. Overall the school isn't bad it's just poorly put together in regards to structure. The office staff are friendly and helpful but there is no PTA but parents do receive Join our PTA packets all the time you pay your money but there is never a meeting the teachers hardly/never response to parent emails. There has been a couple of times when I child was out sick for weeks and when I requested her missed class assignments to take home her teachers never put the information together. Homework is a joke I can't remember the last time my child brought it home. The school is strict when it comes to HCPS rules but lack on some of them it's like they pick and choose which rules they wish to follow for each student.

Shore Elementary Magnet School 3

Posted September 07, 2012
I went to this school highly recommended but when I got there I didn't see what all the fuss was about. I guess by FL standards it was great but coming out of NJ is was no match to NJ public schools. I have to agree to tthe OP about the snotty parents. It's really ridiculous the way some of the parents act. There are also some teachers that will show preferential treatment to some of the kids. I think some of the parents primarily serve on the PA to act all snotty and to get their kids special privileges. I send my daughter to school but I fully home teach her to make sure she learns. She's in the gifted program and does very well so I don't need to pull out all my cards to get her any attention. I think it's OK. It's not by any means a bad school but I guess I just have really high expectations for her. I like that they have an immersion in the arts, which is what drew us there. You will still need to have your child in off campus institutions as they don't go in depth. They just primarily touch on the surface. It was a little better when we first got there 2 years ago but felt there has been a decline. I'm on a lot of the homeschooling sites so I can teach her at home as well.

Posted January 31, 2012
We love Philip Shore Elementary. My daughter is in the 1st grade and this is her second year at Shore. The teachers are great and the school keeps you constantly informed of any changes or anything that may effect your child's learning experience. We love it and it is a shame will be moving to N. Florida and won't be able next year.

Posted February 10, 2011
I have two very different kids in two first grade classes and they love it and are thriving. The teachers have their own styles, and are very good with communicating with me about the kids. The methods the school uses to encourage learning are wonderful. I wish more parents would participate in the programs - all this school needs is more active parents to help out.

Posted October 18, 2010
We have been very impressed as all three of our children go to shore and they love it even with a long bus ride. The school radiates the caring that the teachers and staff have for the students. All of our children also are in the strings program and can not wait to get home and practice. A great school and highly recomend.

Shore Elementary Magnet School 1

Posted August 07, 2010
My son attended this school for his first year and although I tried to be involved and stay in close communication with his teacher, it was to no avail. There are serious egos going on at this school. The office staff and many teachers were snooty and if your child has any sort of disability, they will be set aside and labeled by the administration. Asking for help is no use because you will only receive excuse after excuse. I read these reviews before enrolling my son into this pathetic disappointment of a school and I was very taken aback by the actual interaction that was made with my child and myself. I will say one thing. The custodians and lunch room staff are friendlier than most of the teachers and administration at this school! There were some good people in the school but they were few and far in between.

Posted March 17, 2009
This is my daughter's second year at Shore and she couldn't be happier! She went to a neighborhood school for K, had a great teacher, but there was nothing special about the school. The teachers at Shore are all top notch and really care about the students. My daughter has been exposed to many arts oppurtunities that were not available at her other school. Because of this she has tried new extra-curricular activities to great success. Parent participation can be challenging due to the boundries, etc., but those of us that do participate are very passionate about our school. There has been a great improvement overall at the school now that Ms. Mercer is principal. We have never regreted our decision to go to Shore!

Posted February 14, 2009
I absolutely love Philip Shore! My child has been going here for 4 years, and I must say it just keeps getting better. She is always actively engaged, and the teachers she has are always kind, caring, and energetic. The new principal is fabulous! She is a great improvement over the previous principal. The arts program is stellar...as is the quality of education. I can't imagine my child going anywhere else! The previous entries must be from parents who don't know a good thing when they have it. Bring your child to Philip Shore: it will be one of the best decisions you've ever made!

Shore Elementary Magnet School 2

Posted July 08, 2008
I completely agree with the recent postings here by parents. I loved this school at first, but over the past 2 years it has gone downhill. It's sad because they offer so many great art/music/dance/theater programs. My concerns this year have been: teachers and also the principal leaving with no explanation, negative attitudes of some teachers, the aftercare program is the worst. The positives are: Girl Scout troup and certain teachers are really great, including front office staff. Also, they strive for safety which is very comforting. Despite all the upheaval, somehow my daughter thrived there this past year - did great on the FCAT and is going to be tested for the gifted program. Even so, I am considering moving her to another school...

Shore Elementary Magnet School 2

Posted May 08, 2008
This school has quickly gone downhill over the past year. As one of the previous writer stated,they now have a new principal and to my knowledge none of the parents were notified. Right now, there is no direction or leadership at the school.Once a great school,now mediocre at best.

Shore Elementary Magnet School
1908 East 2nd Avenue, Tampa, FL  33605
Last modified Shore Elementary Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shore Elementary Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews.