Tinker Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 550 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 15, 2014

Tinker is an amazing school with wonderful staff and administration. I love that my children are happy and when there is an issue they contact me right away to keep me informed. I do feel the school has one staff member that is a poor representation of the school and I hope the administration will make a change very soon. The art teacher is very rude and my children really dislike attending her class. I have also found in the morning she is very rude with parents and children. It is not her business if a child is wearing a hat or if they are in shorts or pants. My children hate to wear pants and I feel I am their parent and I can dress them myself. She also she greet the children with respect and not start their day on a negative note. When they make her leave our wonderful school I will be able to rate the school a 5. I hope to see this happen in the near future. I am thankful that the rest of the staff are loving and caring people. Thank you for a wonderful school!

Posted January 25, 2014

The school is convenient, safe and nurturing. Tinker teachers have a great respect for the lives that these military kids lead; they are accommodating and understanding. My daughter has attended Tinker for 2 years, her love for learning has only been nurtured. Her teachers have made learning enjoyable. Ms. Slagal & Mrs. Quinn are OUTSTANDING teachers with big hearts and a love of teaching that shines through their student's success. Mrs. Mendenhall has been a blessing as well, firm but caring. She is trying to set the kids up for long term learning success, not just test mastery. The administration are great role models and very involved with the students' day to day activities. If other parents are upset with their child's progress, make an effort to get involved in the school - the SAC and PTO are always in need of parents with positive attitudes and ideas. One of my "issues" with Tinker is the Art teacher -- VERY disappointed. Last year I only received ONE piece of artwork from school! FL is a common core state, which I'm not particularly fond of, but I do feel as though my daughter is getting a good foundation for her education at Tinker.

Posted August 21, 2013

There were some great and wonderful teachers there. The principal at the time was horrible and seemed to only worry about the grade of the school than the students. My daughter was special needs and it was difficult to get any help for her

Posted June 13, 2013

We moved on base during the summer of 2012, and decided we would give Tinker a try. We had children in 1st and 4th. After two weeks of school, we began to question our decision. We told ourselves that we needed to give it more time, it would probably improve. The teachers were kind. Four weeks of school and we decided to pull them out after the fifth week. Our final decision was based mainly on curriculum. We knew there were better choices since we had homeschooled in the past for several years. (the previous year, they had been in a good public school though) So 5 weeks and we were done. We also had an issue with a lack of communication with one of my son's teachers. He has special needs and I do think she meant well. But we should have been notified more quickly. We like to be involved and know what's going on. Not find out about something a week or two later. Apparently Tinker had been making a lot of changes. They let teachers go after only a few weeks of school,which increased class sizes. Another thing to consider is the facility. It needs updating. Also, my kids were eating lunch as early as 9:30 and 10 on Mon. 10 and 10:30 the rest of the week.Wish I had more room to write!

Posted April 11, 2013

This school may be conviently located but trust me it is a poor choice of a school. If you aren't an officer and if your child isn't the brightest in the class, they WILL be left behind. Teachers and staff are very gossipy and the demenor of the school is that of a snotty South Tampa private school.

Posted January 19, 2013

I currently have 2 children at Tinker (2nd & K). This is our 1st year at the school. However, we transferred in from another school (10 rated) in the district. We have been very happy with the administration, staff and teachers. I feel everyone has gone out of his or her way to make the transition as smooth as possible. I find everyone to be very responsive and helpful. My children are having a great time learning. The school isn't as test crazy as the previous school my children attended but I find it makes for a better learning environment. For my kids to spend time learning the FL test is just a waste of time b/c they will be in another state or Country next year. I like that the teachers teach the fundamentals instead of "teaching the test". Best part about the school is they get the very unique lifestyle that military brats live so they understand the needs and constraints that come along with moving frequently and deployments. The school isn't perfect and there is always room for improvement but I would absolutely recommend Tinker to my friends and family.

Posted December 3, 2012

My children have both gone to Tinker. My son from 3rd to 5th and my daughter since kinder and she is now in 5th grade. I will say this last year there has been a nightmare. They have had so many changes in the front office and teachers that it has really gone downhill. My child's teacher is not understanding of anything and feels that it is necessary to make my child feel unworthy. I worked at Tinker the first 3 years they were there so I know first hand how bad it has gotten. The numbers drastically decreased this year as well because parents have noticed this as well.

Posted September 18, 2012

Parents Beware, if you child is too busy they will be labeled and thrown to the side!!! If your child is self sufficient and a A student then your child will be fine at Tinker. My child was a student at Tinker from 1st grade through 5th. Although Tinker passed my child year after year and now he is so far behind that he is repeating the 5th grade. Every year I grew increasingly frustrated, asking for help, bringing him to outside tutors as well as Tinker's sad excuse for extra help (ELP). The school does not welcome involved parents, in fact I had volunteered on several occasions to help out and never received calls back. The school doesn't even support parents having lunch with their children anymore. They should fire about 90% of their staff and start with teachers that really want to be there. Thank goodness the principal retired, but the assistant principal is just as bad if not worse and WOW she is sneaky!!! Hopefully the new principal will clean house!!! I am so glad to finally have my child at a school where the teachers and staff really care about education and not just the FCAT.

Posted July 30, 2012

This school is desperately trying to hide its failures and pull itself out of a B rating back to a A rating. They are trying to raise the percentage of rotating children in efforts of hiding their staff's deficiencies since this is easier then rotating stale staff and leadership. Even the base commander has joined this selfish cause. Their latest framework ensures this by not allowing children even siblings of children who already attend Tinker to be enrolled from households not within MacDill s perimeter. Over the last decade this was not the case, until the newly arrived leadership changed the rules. Previously children from MacDill's workforce would be allowed to attend even if they resided off base. When the percentage of children in Tinker changed from a rotational majority (leaving every 2 to 3 years) to a non-rotational majority (not leaving due to military orders every 2 to 4 years) the schools ranking fell to a B . As you can guess when the decade of A ratings fell to a B rating the new principal and base commander joined forces in changing the enrollment framework to raise rotational majority.It is easier to change children then failed staff.

Posted July 29, 2012

Average academics, but the children are safe. Front office staff may be a little overzealous in enforcing rules, and it may come across as parents aren't welcome. The new principal lived the military life and really understands what our children go through. I love how she thanks the parents for allowing them to serve the children of those who serve! She was put in the tough position of enforcing the rules after the previous principal gave everyone special favors and enrollment got out of hand. Parent involvement is shamefully low since most live off base and commute (see favors above). Tinker will be a great school in a couple of years!

Posted July 10, 2012

I love this school and so does my son. Mrs. Bussey has been our favorite teacher. She loves her kids and her way of teaching is great. This year we had Mrs. Gatton and I still don't know what really make of way she grades them. Overall my son had a great report. Card and his fcat scores were great. The only downfall is I don't like the new principal. I do not feel she really understands military lifestyles and how it effects the kids like our last principal

Posted December 12, 2011

My 3 children have attended Tinker for 3 years. I absolutely love this school. The teachers and staff truely care about the children and the school has a stong parent community. I am a firm believer in it taking a community to raise a child and Tinker has that environment. We are a military family and my children love that the other kids understand why mom or dad might be gone. I have had one class where one of my children did not work well with the teacher and brought the issue to the principal and Ms. Tao quickly fixed the issue and my son was placed in a better class fit for his learning personality. He is in the gifted program and they constantly challenge the children. Teachers are open to parent involvement which is always a plus. There are tons of activities throughout the year for families put on by the school. My children also attend Host and the staff there are also wonderful. Mr. Kevin takes good care of them all.

Posted August 31, 2011

Tinker is a wonderful school my son love it all his techears are great ( Miss Kain 1st grade, Miss Bussey 2nd and now Miss Miller 3rd... This is our last year here in this school and I have to say I'm gonna miss this school. They make u feel really welcome and the teachers really care about students... Definitely the best school so far

Posted August 18, 2011

Both of my children have attended Tinker Elementary. My son for fourth and fifth grades and daughter for kindergarten through third grade. The teachers have been wonderful. In particular Mrs. Kain (first grade) and Mrs. Dunkel (fourth grade). They show genuine care and concern for the students. Mrs. Humenansky is the assistant principal and she is AMAZING! My daughter had a hard time when my son transferred to middle school. Mrs. Humenansky personally took responsibility for making my daughter feel comfortable during this difficult transition. In addition Mrs. Catts, the school counselor worked with my daughter to help her feel more independent and less afraid of being at school without her brother.

Posted May 19, 2011

Absolute disappointment when it comes to school management. The school administration has proven itself inadequate and somewhat surprised at the sudden influx of new students this year - the classrooms are bursting at the seems and the teachers are unable to handle the full load, so to speak, with patience. The cafeteria is out of control! The staff at the cafeteria is absolutely incapable of handling the noise and have no proper training as to how to handle the younger children. The food that is served is NOT what the menu online shows. The younger children are offered a la cart items with a lot of junk food in the selection. The kids do not have time to finish their lunch - the lines are long and the cashiers would rather chat with each other than help the kids go faster. I am shocked at the fact that our kids have an average of 7-10 min. to eat and they end up throwing most of it in the trash because they can't finish it. We even know of children who ended up going hungry and throwing away their entire lunches because "the janitor came for the trays". My advise - send your lunch from home! Or - to avoid the problem with the junk food temptation send exact change daily

Posted January 6, 2011

I do not know this school ranks. While I am a parent I have heard nothing from them about my children

Posted November 12, 2010

Love the teachers and the after school program! Wonderful school! The kids love it and we love all of the activities that are available to them.

Posted October 27, 2010

The school is a fair school. Although I feel it's greatest flaw is a total lack of organization, I do feel my children are safe. Seeing as how the school is located on the military base it is not accesible to the public. The teachers are pleased to be teaching in this school. We have 2 children currently enrolled. Our 2nd grader loves her male teacher our kindergartener is less thrilled with his female teacher but we are working on it. I will say the pick-up drop-off can be a little daunitng. Your best bet is always to park and retrieve your child by hand. Children are given a great deal of freedom to roam during school so I would reccomend a plan and course of action for issues that may occur in that area. All in all, a fair school. Not the most academic school but a safe environment.

Posted May 18, 2010

Great school. My son was here for kindergarten and 1is now in 1st grade. I love, love, love both teachers he had. Ms. G Bell and Ms. S Bell (yes they're related), are great teachers and my son loved them both. They are very approachable, and you can tell they genuinely care for their students. Though I've never had any personaly experience with the priniciple, she is tough, but she loves her students as well. I'll miss Tinker. The only reason my child won't be attending next year is because the school will be outside of my area. Thank you Tinker staff.

Posted April 27, 2010

Staff continually puts a good show on but our children's education is paying for it!!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

94 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8207 Tinker St, MacDill Afb