Tinker Elementary School 2

Posted June 25, 2014
This school has a lot of room for improvement. I have seen the administrator treat teachers really kind and the next minute she is disciplining them in public or talking to others about a teacher that has made her made. My two children love their teachers and have done really well in 2nd and 4th grade. The office staff really takes this school to an all time low with their rudeness and breach of confidentiality. When administration learns confidentiality and does not stand and discuss student and staff issues in ear shot of parents maybe I could score them higher. Glad to know my husband received orders and we are moving on. Wish future students and parents the best.

Posted June 20, 2014
My daughter attended her first 3 years here at Tinker. Overall, I feel it is a good little school. We lived on base and having her be able to walk or ride her bike to or from was great. I have to say this past year was trying due to her second grade teachers. They both seemed tired or jaded from day one of class. The first part of the year I did not feel there was adequate communication with the teachers but being persistent with them paid off some. I agree with the previous reviews about the Art teacher. I never knee how the front office staff would be from week to week if I needed to call or speak with them. Overall, the school seemed to get a little worse as each year went by with teachers and administration. But we will take the good memories and move on.

Posted February 15, 2014
Tinker is an amazing school with wonderful staff and administration. I love that my children are happy and when there is an issue they contact me right away to keep me informed. I do feel the school has one staff member that is a poor representation of the school and I hope the administration will make a change very soon. The art teacher is very rude and my children really dislike attending her class. I have also found in the morning she is very rude with parents and children. It is not her business if a child is wearing a hat or if they are in shorts or pants. My children hate to wear pants and I feel I am their parent and I can dress them myself. She also she greet the children with respect and not start their day on a negative note. When they make her leave our wonderful school I will be able to rate the school a 5. I hope to see this happen in the near future. I am thankful that the rest of the staff are loving and caring people. Thank you for a wonderful school!

Tinker Elementary School 5

Posted January 25, 2014
The school is convenient, safe and nurturing. Tinker teachers have a great respect for the lives that these military kids lead; they are accommodating and understanding. My daughter has attended Tinker for 2 years, her love for learning has only been nurtured. Her teachers have made learning enjoyable. Ms. Slagal & Mrs. Quinn are OUTSTANDING teachers with big hearts and a love of teaching that shines through their student's success. Mrs. Mendenhall has been a blessing as well, firm but caring. She is trying to set the kids up for long term learning success, not just test mastery. The administration are great role models and very involved with the students' day to day activities. If other parents are upset with their child's progress, make an effort to get involved in the school - the SAC and PTO are always in need of parents with positive attitudes and ideas. One of my "issues" with Tinker is the Art teacher -- VERY disappointed. Last year I only received ONE piece of artwork from school! FL is a common core state, which I'm not particularly fond of, but I do feel as though my daughter is getting a good foundation for her education at Tinker.

Posted August 21, 2013
There were some great and wonderful teachers there. The principal at the time was horrible and seemed to only worry about the grade of the school than the students. My daughter was special needs and it was difficult to get any help for her

Tinker Elementary School 2

Posted June 13, 2013
We moved on base during the summer of 2012, and decided we would give Tinker a try. We had children in 1st and 4th. After two weeks of school, we began to question our decision. We told ourselves that we needed to give it more time, it would probably improve. The teachers were kind. Four weeks of school and we decided to pull them out after the fifth week. Our final decision was based mainly on curriculum. We knew there were better choices since we had homeschooled in the past for several years. (the previous year, they had been in a good public school though) So 5 weeks and we were done. We also had an issue with a lack of communication with one of my son's teachers. He has special needs and I do think she meant well. But we should have been notified more quickly. We like to be involved and know what's going on. Not find out about something a week or two later. Apparently Tinker had been making a lot of changes. They let teachers go after only a few weeks of school,which increased class sizes. Another thing to consider is the facility. It needs updating. Also, my kids were eating lunch as early as 9:30 and 10 on Mon. 10 and 10:30 the rest of the week.Wish I had more room to write!

Posted April 11, 2013
This school may be conviently located but trust me it is a poor choice of a school. If you aren't an officer and if your child isn't the brightest in the class, they WILL be left behind. Teachers and staff are very gossipy and the demenor of the school is that of a snotty South Tampa private school.

Posted January 19, 2013
I currently have 2 children at Tinker (2nd & K). This is our 1st year at the school. However, we transferred in from another school (10 rated) in the district. We have been very happy with the administration, staff and teachers. I feel everyone has gone out of his or her way to make the transition as smooth as possible. I find everyone to be very responsive and helpful. My children are having a great time learning. The school isn't as test crazy as the previous school my children attended but I find it makes for a better learning environment. For my kids to spend time learning the FL test is just a waste of time b/c they will be in another state or Country next year. I like that the teachers teach the fundamentals instead of "teaching the test". Best part about the school is they get the very unique lifestyle that military brats live so they understand the needs and constraints that come along with moving frequently and deployments. The school isn't perfect and there is always room for improvement but I would absolutely recommend Tinker to my friends and family.

Posted December 03, 2012
My children have both gone to Tinker. My son from 3rd to 5th and my daughter since kinder and she is now in 5th grade. I will say this last year there has been a nightmare. They have had so many changes in the front office and teachers that it has really gone downhill. My child's teacher is not understanding of anything and feels that it is necessary to make my child feel unworthy. I worked at Tinker the first 3 years they were there so I know first hand how bad it has gotten. The numbers drastically decreased this year as well because parents have noticed this as well.

Posted September 18, 2012
Parents Beware, if you child is too busy they will be labeled and thrown to the side!!! If your child is self sufficient and a A student then your child will be fine at Tinker. My child was a student at Tinker from 1st grade through 5th. Although Tinker passed my child year after year and now he is so far behind that he is repeating the 5th grade. Every year I grew increasingly frustrated, asking for help, bringing him to outside tutors as well as Tinker's sad excuse for extra help (ELP). The school does not welcome involved parents, in fact I had volunteered on several occasions to help out and never received calls back. The school doesn't even support parents having lunch with their children anymore. They should fire about 90% of their staff and start with teachers that really want to be there. Thank goodness the principal retired, but the assistant principal is just as bad if not worse and WOW she is sneaky!!! Hopefully the new principal will clean house!!! I am so glad to finally have my child at a school where the teachers and staff really care about education and not just the FCAT.

Tinker Elementary School
8207 Tinker Street, Tampa, FL  33621
(813) 840-2043
Last modified Tinker Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tinker Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 70 reviews.