935 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Posted May 21, 2014
My son has been going to Ben Hill this year. We moved from Nevada to get here and Ben Hill is in our school district. I really hoped someone would try to reach out to him but they probably don't have time. In Nevada they did! He loved school there and here he hates it. I know the budget is low. When a child has problem don't they care to ask questions? Call the parents? He missed some days because of depression. We get this wicked letter saying he missed too many days. Do you ask why he is missing days? No you just punish! Do not send your child to this school there has to be a better way. These people have the privelage to educate our precious children and instead want to show they have power. Go to corporate America where they just care about money. My son was having a problem in one of his classes so they threatened to hold him back. He is too smart for that. So we can't have a problem with a class?

Hill Middle School 3

Posted April 07, 2014
My daughter went to Ben Hill for all 3 yrs of middle school. I thought overall the school was a goodl. However, the Honors Spanish teacher had absolutely no control of her class. I sat in the back of the class as my daughter gave a presentation in Spanish. Part of the presentation involved bringing my dog to the class which is why I was there. I was shocked at the disrespect & lack of control. My daughter's math teacher in 7th grade was terrible!! She had a heavy French accent talking badly about my daughter. I ended up meeting with administration & after 3-4 months finally had my daughter moved out. Best decision ever, but sadly it took 3-4 months before the administration would listen to me that there was a problem. Finally, the current principle is terrible. I was fed up with the constant threats made to outgoing 8th graders. Rather than deal with the problem students she always threatened to eliminate dances or the end of the year party. Poor mgmt style. I have a child going into 6th grade next year that is incredibly shy &d can't risk the bullying from teachers I witness, so luckily she will be going to Walker.

Posted March 03, 2014
This is my daughters first year at Ben Hill. I have been very happy with this school. My older daughter went to Walker. I feel I have a fair comparison of both schools. I have had great responses from the teachers at Ben Hill when I have questions. They encourage the students to excell and have good incentives when they do. Check out the school for yourself and form your own opinion.

Posted March 02, 2014
There seems to be a brick wall up between the staff and administration. Parent's seem to always be brushed off at the issues the school has. Students are for the most part lazy and undisciplined. Teachers are not given any help in controlling the classrooms. As a parent I can only hope things improve.

Posted December 16, 2013
I go this school and its a good school theyve made some changes even since last year and its gotten better. Theres always opportunities to have fun and you get rewarded for doing well in school. The discipline is also great and you can talk to most staff if you need help i honestly feel like youll learn here and have fun at the same time. If your considering coming then but i think that there 'remodeling' is pretty stupid because theyre not doing anything but putting up green fences the school needs its work but its a good schoo

Posted July 06, 2013
Ben Hill Middle School has great teachers who really encourage learning, they have great coaches in every sport, and the principal is wonderful. When my older child first attended Ben Hill Middle school back in 2009-11 they had a horrible male assist. principal who I believe did nothing to help with the problems at the school, numerous fights, frequent bullying complaints, horribly behaved students, and poor response from the then male assistant principal. Since he is no longer at the school there has been drastic improvements. The principal is excellent and has a great team of administrators currently working with her. I agree that at one time Ben Hill middle had a bad rep, but the past year has been wonderful. The school has greatly improved, so visit the school and see for yourself. Overall, great academics, great teachers, excellent principal and administrators, tutoring, great coaches, sports, and friendly office. There are a few bad apples in the school, as would be at any school, who like to call other students names or demonstrate bullying behavior, but students need to report these negative experiences to their parents, faculty and administrators. immediately.

Posted June 23, 2013
Me and my brother go here. I think overall it is an okay school. The school has many fights though .

Hill Middle School 5

Posted June 21, 2013
I am a student at hill middle school all these reviews are very bad. But those are the parents opinions i think hill is an amazing school the teachers are great and yeah they overload us with homework but its for our good and our better future to learn because they want the best of us the sports are great and the school is not bad!! I love Hill middle school!!

Posted April 11, 2013
The rating are design for ALL parents, students and teachers to put their opinions for other to see, so others can make their decision base on what they read and information that they gathered. Based on what I read and I can say the parents and student had simply put their true thoughts and opinions based on their experiences. For you as administrator telling all parents and students NOT to leave negative comments to impact the school rating and sweep everything under the rug is very deceitful. You are basically taking people's freedom of speech away. I'm sure you wouldn't have problem with people leaving positive comments, so why only stop people from leaving the negative comments? Please do let parents and student make their own judgement base on the truth! If Hill Middle School is a great school, I'm sure parents will see that themselves.

Hill Middle School 5

Posted January 21, 2013
As the principal of Hill Middle School, I welcome any parent concerns and wish that the concerns would be addressed directly before posts are made. The latest post states that "two teachers quit" however this is not actually fact. The two teachers referred to both took leaves, one for health and the other for further schooling. Again, as adults, they have the right to take a leave when necessary, and neither of these individuals left without great hesitation. It was not their choice at the time. I do invite people to the school to visit and our administrative team is available to answer any questions parents may have. This IS a great school, and while the staff are not required or mandated to utilize Edline, as an administrator, I can only encourage the use of this tool for parents. There are many challenges facing educators today, and to have negative remarks posted for the world to view, without further investigating facts prior to posting, adds to the challenges of great educators who are doing everything possible to build a future for our students. Read what you may, but investigate for yourself. Thank you to the 970 families who do enjoy what this school does for their child!

Hill Middle School
5200 Ehrlich Road, Tampa, FL  33624
Last modified Hill Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.