Tampa, FL
Students enrolled: 1,661

Posted October 12, 2014
My daughter attends as a magnet student, majoring in orchestra. We are thrilled with the magnet program. She gets to take three music classes a day and she loves it! We did have to change her other classes up a bit and she is/has done several high school credit classes at FLVS. But the great thing with Blake is your child can attend to get the arts education they are looking for, and then fill in some of the core classes online. It's been absolutely perfect. We are thrilled with her decision to attend Blake.

Posted October 08, 2013
As A Current Freshman and Creative Writing Major...Blake Is A FANTASTIC school to offer your child to perfect and expand your childs talents with different levels of major and not to forget the additional after school activities it Blake offers.BEEN A SMOOTH RUN I'm also really impressed with are Teachers & Staff that put in so much time and effort to make sure we are successful in what were learning whether regular or honors student the teachers at blake teach to max not to mentain are AP's are pretty awesome .

Blake High School 1

Posted May 24, 2012
Just recently discovered that one of my kids attending Blake High School was on the School Teacher s intranet web site. He did not know that I was watching what he was doing. He was updating all the grades. He gave himself all A . For all his classes. I also discovered that all the kids are passing the password to the intranet web site and updating all of their grades. Many kids are graduation this week have done this and are all an A grade students but not really, they are all cheaters. How can a teacher be so careless and not keep a log of the password property. I also discovered that the password has been passed around for a while. So, many of the students are on their way to graduation next week. The school system needs to stop the graduation and analyses the grades. It s a shame to call Blake High school a Magnet school. Not really proud of the education in this county any ways. I give Blake High School an F

Blake High School 1

Posted June 29, 2011
I was (sadly) a student of Howard W. Blake High School for all four years of my high school life, graduated in 2008. I was actually looking forward to learning about all of the wonderful things that musical theatre had to offer, and hoped to make new friends. None of these things happened. Every single magnet student thought they were Gods gift, and the teachers refused to teach because of disruptions from the neighborhood project kids. Because I didn't want to follow the cliques and do my own thing, I was rejected from my fellow classmates. And the segregation was horrible! There would be debates on whose rights were more important: Black or Gay. I actually refused to go to my graduation and walk with my class because I was so fed up having wasted four years of my life there. If your son or daughter has an interest in the arts and they want to further their education in it, I highly recommend your local community theatres, music teachers who know what they're talking about, and actually going to college to major in their study of interest. There they will meet people with the same goals and they can better your child's talents and gifts.

Posted January 30, 2010

Posted January 22, 2010
If your kids are in to any kinds of art this would be the school for them! This is a great school thats why I have my two daughters going there for fashion design and photogragh. This is one of the best schools ever!!!

Posted January 22, 2010
When I went there a couple years back, I had the time of my life it's a pretty cool school and its very clean too!!!

Blake High School 0

Posted August 23, 2009
I was a student at Blake for three years and I have to say if it wasnt for the dumb gangbangers at the school and the projects across the street this would have actually been a pretty good school. Sadly though there is alot of segregation amongst the students. The preps, performing arts, and magnet kids thought they were gods answer to cancer nothing was ever blamed on them and the administration treated them like little angels. There were also the gangbangers, ghetto, or blame retarded students that ruined everything for everyone. Due to them fighting every single day over stuff as stupid as a stolen chair (when there were hundreds of empty ones around them) and fighting over jelly packets. Bottom line dont send your kids there unless you want them to suffer for four years.

Blake High School 4

Posted December 31, 2008
All of my children are the products of the Magnet School program. My third child is attending Blake, following in the footsteps of his siblings. We have had a few less than ideal experiences with some teachers who 'didn't make the grade,' but the staff and faculty have always been very open and welcome to my concerns and have taken immediate steps to address them. My biggest disappointment with my children's education has been having to split the campus between teh Liberal Arts and Performing Arts Magnet program. This caused the school to move from 'Block' classes, where the students got a year's curriculum to the standard 8 classes. This has forced some of their Magnet and Performing Arts focus to be diminished. It also caused the shcool's over-all grade to fall, something they are still driving to recover. Unfortunately, this is all the product of 'school choice.'

Posted December 07, 2008
I loved Blake High! I was always welcomed there and I still consider it my second home. They can't be beat when it comes to their Arts program.

Blake High School
1701 North Westshore Boulevard, Tampa, FL  33607
Last modified Blake High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blake High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top