Tampa, FL
Students enrolled: 1,661

Posted June 10, 2015
Our daughter loved her time at this school. The level of talent is amazing. The education is excellent. The student body is very diverse and friendly.

Posted June 10, 2015
Our daughter was a Acting and Costume major. The classes were challenging and the teachers were excellent at motivating the students to do their best. The Magnet teachers were top notch and the performances were very professional. Our daughter was exposed to so many facets of the arts and the many talents in the arts. She really was prepared to leave and pursue her career. All the Universities she applied at were impressed with both her academic and her performance based experience. Mr. Basham was a great champion for our daughter and made the time there awesome. The guidance lead Ms. Reid really took care that Taylor was in challenging classes. The talent at this school is amazing.

Blake High School 4

Posted March 15, 2015
Our son is a sophomore in Blake's magnet program. This school seems to be a study in extremes. From our current vantage point, we'd advise parents & students to beat the bushes to find the classes in which your student will thrive. So far for our son, positives slightly outweigh negatives. Mr. Basham is a smart, caring & conscientious Assistant Principal, and the guidance office, though overworked, tries hard. Many of the teachers are truly excellent and really teach, specifically in the AP English, Science, and Acting departments. The biggest negatives lie in the AP History department. Even for a hard-working A student, the assignments are life-monopolizing and given voluminously non-stop throughout all breaks, weekends & holidays, without motivating teacher-student rapport or respect. That department runs counter to its school's belief in and support of the creative energies of its students, and so is best avoided. Also, expect to use FLVS to the fullest, as there isn't enough time daily for every requirement, especially if one is looking at even somewhat selective colleges.

Posted October 12, 2014
My daughter attends as a magnet student, majoring in orchestra. We are thrilled with the magnet program. She gets to take three music classes a day and she loves it! We did have to change her other classes up a bit and she is/has done several high school credit classes at FLVS. But the great thing with Blake is your child can attend to get the arts education they are looking for, and then fill in some of the core classes online. It's been absolutely perfect. We are thrilled with her decision to attend Blake.

Posted October 08, 2013
As A Current Freshman and Creative Writing Major...Blake Is A FANTASTIC school to offer your child to perfect and expand your childs talents with different levels of major and not to forget the additional after school activities it Blake offers.BEEN A SMOOTH RUN I'm also really impressed with are Teachers & Staff that put in so much time and effort to make sure we are successful in what were learning whether regular or honors student the teachers at blake teach to max not to mentain are AP's are pretty awesome .

Blake High School 1

Posted May 24, 2012
Just recently discovered that one of my kids attending Blake High School was on the School Teacher s intranet web site. He did not know that I was watching what he was doing. He was updating all the grades. He gave himself all A . For all his classes. I also discovered that all the kids are passing the password to the intranet web site and updating all of their grades. Many kids are graduation this week have done this and are all an A grade students but not really, they are all cheaters. How can a teacher be so careless and not keep a log of the password property. I also discovered that the password has been passed around for a while. So, many of the students are on their way to graduation next week. The school system needs to stop the graduation and analyses the grades. It s a shame to call Blake High school a Magnet school. Not really proud of the education in this county any ways. I give Blake High School an F

Blake High School 1

Posted June 29, 2011
I was (sadly) a student of Howard W. Blake High School for all four years of my high school life, graduated in 2008. I was actually looking forward to learning about all of the wonderful things that musical theatre had to offer, and hoped to make new friends. None of these things happened. Every single magnet student thought they were Gods gift, and the teachers refused to teach because of disruptions from the neighborhood project kids. Because I didn't want to follow the cliques and do my own thing, I was rejected from my fellow classmates. And the segregation was horrible! There would be debates on whose rights were more important: Black or Gay. I actually refused to go to my graduation and walk with my class because I was so fed up having wasted four years of my life there. If your son or daughter has an interest in the arts and they want to further their education in it, I highly recommend your local community theatres, music teachers who know what they're talking about, and actually going to college to major in their study of interest. There they will meet people with the same goals and they can better your child's talents and gifts.

Posted January 22, 2010
If your kids are in to any kinds of art this would be the school for them! This is a great school thats why I have my two daughters going there for fashion design and photogragh. This is one of the best schools ever!!!

Posted January 22, 2010
When I went there a couple years back, I had the time of my life it's a pretty cool school and its very clean too!!!

Blake High School

Posted August 23, 2009
I was a student at Blake for three years and I have to say if it wasnt for the dumb gangbangers at the school and the projects across the street this would have actually been a pretty good school. Sadly though there is alot of segregation amongst the students. The preps, performing arts, and magnet kids thought they were gods answer to cancer nothing was ever blamed on them and the administration treated them like little angels. There were also the gangbangers, ghetto, or blame retarded students that ruined everything for everyone. Due to them fighting every single day over stuff as stupid as a stolen chair (when there were hundreds of empty ones around them) and fighting over jelly packets. Bottom line dont send your kids there unless you want them to suffer for four years.

Blake High School
1701 North Westshore Boulevard, Tampa, FL  33607
Last modified Blake High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Blake High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top