Sickles High School

Public | 9-12 | 2070 students

Posted February 22, 2012

Very Nice school over all in the good area, My Son graduated from here in 2011 and went to Penn State

Posted January 9, 2012

Great School if you are looking for academical quality but it's full of "clicks" apparently a group of boys version of "mean girls" are ruling the social school life! Last Friday they put stick note on the back of girls students rating them while they walk on the cafeteria unaware of the prank.

Posted April 12, 2011

I started at Sickles High School back in 2002 and graduated in 2006. I had been present for many of the schools larger changes that it underwent. Between the changing of the principal to the rescheduling of lunches. I no longer live in Fl and can not speak for what is present now, but from my own experience I can say that Sickles took pride in education in pushing its teachers to take an added effort in helping students that were falling behind. Talking one on one with students about not only grades but being mentors to them as well and trying to help in any way they could. Teachers and principals alike went above and beyond their regular duties to ensure students graduated and made something of themselves. Even for those who slack off in school and had a possibility of not graduating on time with their class had a wonderful opportunity to make up those credits in their last year of school. I can honestly say that beyond a shadow of a doubt Sickles High School is a school I can see myself sending my own children.

Posted March 31, 2010

Principal does not support quality electives; wants everyone to take AP classes, even if they get C/D/F and are not AP material.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 30, 2010

Good leadership from Princial, very action and result oriented. overall quality staff!

Posted October 1, 2009

I love Sickles and think it has some of the very best teachers around. They genuinely care about the students and try to make class interesting. They go out of their way to help and accomodate the students from what I have seen. The administration on the other hand is another story. I think it trickles down from the top. I think the principal is arrogant and doesn't care much about helping the students. I've never seen someone in his position be as cut and dry and cold as he is. Too bad as that is the only flaw I see with the school. Luckily-the teachers make up for his shortcomings.

Posted July 3, 2009

Parents dont listen to any of the stupid complaints about sickles, I have just completed my freshmen year there and I loved it!!! Although many of our core students are leaving in the fall to go to steinbrenner im sure we will still be a top rated school and i look forward to my next 3 years as a gryphon. Sickles has many great programs to offer such our buisness and technololgy department. I was in web design 1 this year and I thought it was great, the teachers are amazing and I would definitly recomend going to this school. steinbreener is going to be very under developed in areas such as R.O.T.C (they wont even have one) which I will be joining in the fall. I give Sickles a ten out of ten and you should definitly send your kids there.

Posted July 1, 2009

I absolutley love this school!!! This school, I believe, has one of the best orchestra programs. The teacher is fun, respectable, and strict, she pushes the students to excell in music. The admin is eh. Let's just say they could do a little better, But I'm sure next year is going to change. I really do love this school. There is plenty of school spirit and the teachers really care. Have your kids go to Sickles. They won't regret it.

Posted June 16, 2009

This school is fake! When I attended it I thought I was achieving high scores because I was smart. Guessed wrong! I moved to a new school in Pasco and the curriculum was so much more challanging than at Sickles. I have learned alot more at my new school then at Sickles and I believe that the crazy GPA's are so stupid and that they don't and shouldn't count. Especially the AP and Honors classes those classes arn't even that hard the AP and honors classes in Pasco are so much harder than those of Hillsborough. This is my opinion and I know most of you all think too highly of Sickles but if you just had the oppertunity that I had you would have changed yours too!

Posted April 15, 2009

As my final year at sickles winds down, I have to say it is a great school. Sure the Ap's are pains, but our principal is a great leader and has made this school better than before. Our teachers want us to succeed no matter if you do go to college or not. They help us every five days. this is why our school is ' A '. Also, we have good sport programs and great music programs

Posted December 6, 2008

I'm proud to be a student of Sickles, despite some minor administration issues. The principal is a good guy who cares about the students, most of the teachers take a geniune interest in education, and the scores are phenomenal. Good luck finding a better school in Tampa!

Posted November 12, 2008

Sickles admin and teachers are overwhelmed with managing the functions and activities of the school. Talented smart kids with tremendous potential are being overlooked, underserviced and dismissed by Sickles judgements. This takes place year after year child after child being shortchanged by lack of effectiveness of the guidance counselors. Most teachers are just there as a job, and lack of genuine awareness and absoulete arrogance based on misinformation is exuded by Principal Russell. If your child & you as a parent can do everything for your child in monitoring all aspects of school work. Then monitor all necessary especially academic requirements to get to college....go to sickles...if not research other schools. You will be very pleasantly surprised at to the information, direction and support you will receive . You kids are worth more!

Posted August 17, 2008

Sickles is a achool that I am proud to attend. It not only excells in many of it's arts and athletics programs, but it offers the top AP classes with excellent teachers.

Posted July 11, 2008

I have been a proud Sickles parent for the past 6 years. Have one child in her second year of pre med I have two other children that atten Sickles, one a rising senior the other a rising junior. Sickles is a very big school the children are held accountable for their own success. They are given the resources and they are provided the tools to succeed. I find the faculty, staff and administration excellent.

Posted July 1, 2008

The Teachers at Sickles High are excellent.The administration is not so great.The time my mother went up to the office she got a lot of sour attitude.

Posted May 18, 2008

I attended Sickles for all four years of my high school career, it needs better administration. ive never been let down as much as i have been with the administration from 05-06 to 07-08. ive lost scholarships because the principal has lost my paperwork...twice. they painted over the arts mural, after the principal promised. i believe that sports are a priority to this administration, no other extra curricular activities are in the spot light here, they are all pushed into the shadows. But....the teachers are wonderful. they put the students before everything. wonderfull teachers, terrible administration.

Posted February 8, 2007

Being fairly new to the area, I guess I have been 'waiting and hoping' for Sickles to improve. I am becoming so discouraged with the quality, involvement (staff) and especially the safety of the students.

Posted February 7, 2007

Sickles was a big disappointment as a high school. I believe the problem is administration. Better leadership is needed.

Posted January 9, 2007

I graduated from Sickles in 2005. While I was there it was a good school with decent academics. If you took higher level courses such as AP classes those were the teachers that invested an interest for the most part. I think that since the new principal has come the school has become worse. They are not personable and it takes a lot to get them to talk to you.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 2, 2007

This school may have high academic scoring, but that's all that is good about this school. Other than that, the administrators are absolutely careless. The principal looks friendly, but down on the inside it takes a whole lot for him to express whether or not he'll come see the school play. Literally. The teachers are strict, and that's good.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

518 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

511 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

502 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

487 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

219 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

515 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

474 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music