No rating

Christ the King Catholic School

Private | PK-8

Living in Tampa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $289,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,050.

Sweep tile

Posted February 17, 2014

My family feels very blessed to be part of the CKS family! This is a wonderful school. We have been attending Christ the King for the past two school years, and my children have all grown academically and spiritually. Having spent a couple of years in the public school system, I can tell you, there is no comparison. I feel so strongly that when my children graduate 8th grade, they will be far more advanced and prepared for high school and college than if they would have remained in public school. It is definitely a sacrifice to pay tuition, and absolutely worthwhile to provide a strong educational foundation for our children. What's even more important is that Christ the King is centered and focused on our Catholic tradition, love for God and service to others.

Posted November 22, 2013

Fantastic in every way! I have witnessed first hand the love and commitment the faculty and staff have for the children at Christ the King. The team of impressive educators work diligently to provide students with an appropriately challenging curriculum in a safe, nurturing environment. My children are encouraged to be their best each and every day--academically, spiritually, and socially. The parental involvement is truly amazing. The facilities and equipment are modern and top-notch! My children are exposed to state-of-the-art technology on a daily basis. CKS has a wide variety of extracurricular and after-school activities and programs....robotics club, chess club, you name it! As a military family new to the Tampa area, our entire family has been welcomed into the CKS family with open arms! Christ the King School is a true gem!

Posted November 4, 2013

I am so happy with how well organized and academically sound Christ the King School is! The faculty and administration are dedicated to the academic development and faith formation of every student. The teachers work together to plan interdisciplinary, creative lesson plans and all of their lesson planning is transparent and consistent between classes of the same grade. CKS has an independent curriculum with the support of the diocese in with a beautiful facility and campus to educate our children. The environment is loving and nurturing with good structure and discipline. CKS is one of South Tampa's gems.

Posted November 4, 2013

CKS is a stand-alone school based on test scores, environment and tuition. Our family has been a part of CKS for 8 years. Numerous changes have occurred during that time and the school has transformed from good to exceptional. The test scores and high school entrance exams prove it academically, and well rounded teenagers move seamlessly on to high school. CKS and it's community have been a wonderful fit for our entire family. I particularly appreciate that parent involvement is strongly encouraged, as much as you are willing to give. I have first-hand knowledge of the day-to-day environment, not second hand information. CKS is a nurturing environment and I was truly surprised at the less than positive reviews I read. My children have been happy students. My middle schooler, who studies and prepares independently, actually said he feels a sense of accomplishment managing and mastering his challenging course load. The faculty and staff prepared him well. My husband and I are truly thankful of the friends and families at CKS- we've never had concern they would be exposed to something our family would find unacceptable.

Posted November 4, 2013

Christ the King has far exceeded all of my expectations as the parent of two children attending the school. The students are challenged academically, but also taught in an extremely nutrturing environment. Graduating students are accepted to the premier secondary schools at an extremely high rate and the students are better prepared than their peers for the rigors of high school and college. The school does an execellent job of providing an integrated curriculum that meets both scholastic and spiritual needs of my children. I would highly recomment Christ the King for any parent looking for superior academics provided in a faith based setting.

Posted October 15, 2013

Not-at-all impressed. Disappointed. I don't understand the family support influence. I see no support. Staff seems OK, but, again, just not impressed.

Posted September 10, 2013

Aside from the fact that this school lacks socioeconomic or ethnic diversity, it is widely known for its bullying problems. If your child is slightly different, they will be picked on. I caution anyone considering CKS to look beyond the "Blue Ribbon" and ask around. I wish we had.

Posted March 22, 2013

Focus is on raising money while ignoring big issues such as bulling. Math is lacking without proper foundations making it difficult for 8th graders to get into IB programs.

Posted February 7, 2011

Absolutely phenomenal school. I could not be happier with my children's development. All of the children in our neighborhood go to private schools ranging from most expensive to those percieved to have the best academics. My children are more advanced and are working the same skill-sets as children in the other schools who are in one grade higher. Teachers are amazing and families incredibly supportive. I would not transfer my children even if offered free tuition at any other private school in South Tampa.

Posted November 9, 2010

Where once there were nuggets of excellence, now there is a solid foundation of it at CKS. The response from 2007 noting poor leadership is no longer valid. The "ethos of continuous improvement" is not just talk.. We have a new Pastor who is vibrant, energetic & outstanding! We have now have a forward thinking administration, faculty is motivated, changes are great & the direction is fantastic. Children are encouraged to be all they can be, are recognized & applauded for behavior that comports with the school's mission statement, & are taught to the whole person. Coursework is integrated to some degree to help reinstill their lessons. Testing numbers are exceptional when compared to other schools within this Catholic Province. Children learn the academics & are challenged by the invaluable Enrichment program. CKS nurtures respect, responsibility & reason. The PTC helps make it so - involvement helps to steer change!!

Posted January 27, 2010

I love Christ the King! There is no more perfect balance of academic enrichment and spiritual development in all of Tampa. I feel so blessed that my children love school and learning. The school s focus on both academic development and the Christian message of compassion and charity is so prominent across all 10 grade levels, it s no wonder that CKS grads go onto to excel in high school, college and beyond. I am also impressed by the faculty and Administration s commitment to continually improve, despite the challenges of a modest physical campus. The school and parish community has also been a safe haven for my family for the last 15 years. I can think of no better school in Tampa to which I can entrust the care of my children.

Posted December 12, 2009

OK school. decent teachers

Posted November 24, 2007

CKS has really blown it. It could have been the 'jewel of South Tampa' and I believe we were heading there about seven years ago. However,the leadership that became involved led us down a path that has runied our reputation in S. TPA because they put most of the emphasis on the facilities and not academics. The faculty is largely unmotivated. The curriculum is non-exsistent, and there is absolutley no confidence that the junior high can prepare our children for high school (public or private). Even the religious aspect has suffered since the nuns left. Bullying is tolerated which is completely unacceptable. Parental involvement is high but that can be found in almost any S.Tampa School.

Posted February 24, 2007

Christ the King provides a nurturing, Christian environment for our children to learn. The parents are partners in education and have so many opportunities to interact at school. The school is going through some growing pains right now, but we know it has what it takes to stay the course and be true to its history of excellence. We have been impressed with the quality of our children's instruction in three different grade levels. When we look at where CKS grads are going to high school and how exceptional they are doing there, it told us that CKS is setting the solid foundation that our kids need to succeed. Through its spiritual emphasis and opportunities for service, CKS also helps our kids take responsibility to care for others. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

Posted February 8, 2007

Christ the King tries really hard and has a wonderful group of parents that support the school but it really falls woefully short on most fronts. Most parent's concerns are not addressed in any meaningful way.

Posted May 5, 2006

CKS is upfront about academics not being their primary focus- because they 'need to meet the needs of the entire parish'. Okay for midlevel intellect but not challenging for gifted or supportive of special needs. This being said, those in charge of decision making profess to be forward-thinking when they are encouraging parents to donate money for the building fund- even though no new programs or classes are being added. The arts are weak in theory and even art projects tend to be too tedious to hold childrens' interest much less excitement. Musical programs including talent show have a few stars showcased, but too much practice for the participation of most. Religion is emphasized in younger grades and then again before confirmation, mostly similar to secular except Religion. Bullying is surprisingly tolerated unless physical, and even then 'forgiven'.

Posted January 13, 2006

As a former student of Christ the King school, I believe that I should have received a better education for the amount of money my parents spent there. The academics in the elementary grades were not bad - actually I felt that I learned a great deal in grades K-5. However, when I began sixth grade, I felt that my academic studies were becoming more and more of a joke. I hardly did any work and received nothing below a high B on my report card. Luckily, most of the students that attended Christ the King were quite gifted and did not need a great deal of help. However, those that were not, got almost none. I've heard that things are improving around there, and I'm glad. Don't get me wrong, I had a great time at CKS. I just don't believe it was as beneficial as it should have been.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 4, 2003

Christ The King is the jewel of South Tampa! It provides educational and spiritual balance for our children. It provides a positive, happy learning environment! I wouldn't think of sending my kids anywhere else in this city!

Posted August 26, 2003

Absolutely a wonderful experience! I feel what I was taught at CKS has proven invaluable time and time again!
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 1% N/A
Two or more races 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of St. Petersburg

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3809 W Morrison Ave