No rating

Corbett Preparatory School of IDS

Private | PK-8 | 535 students

Corbett Prep of IDS - Inspiring New Name, Same Extraordinary School Since 1968

Living in Tampa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted October 14, 2012

So, our first year at IDS (Corbett Prep) was excellent. Our child was happy and challenged without feeling stressed. The years since have progressively gotten more disappointing. IDS is a fun school with amazing fine arts and good PE. Many good teachers, a few not so good. Academically, however, I don't feel it really challenges advanced students or teaches at the level it could even average students. They try to differentiate but I'm not sure how successful they are being and I'm never sure where my children are at unless I ask the teachers every few weeks. The kids are happy but if you are academically minded, not sure you get what you pay for.

Posted September 25, 2012

My family moved here from the #1 school district in New Jersey. My first impression of this school is that EVERY teacher is as good or better than the best teacher in our New Jersey school. My son tested into honors classes in high school from the amazing learning environment here. The school offers a complete athletic program AND a fine arts program. Each of my two children learn in completely different ways, and because the teachers here are so well trained, each of my children have a thorough understanding of math, English, Social Studies, etc. This school teaches to the whole child, their strengths will be cultivated. Each child has confidence and presence. The school's motto is "it's all about the kids" and they live it.

Posted September 25, 2012

Truly Amazing! We are now in our fourth year at this amazing school. Each year you think was the best ever and the next year is even better than that. The teachers care about each and every one of our children; teaching the whole child. I highly encourage anyone looking for a special school to provide the opportunity for your child to attend a day showdowing a class/student; I am confient you and your child will find it an amazing experience.

Posted August 24, 2012

Absolutely AMAZING!! The first week of school has come to an end and my children cannot wait for Monday. My children absolutely love their fabulous teachers and I cannot wait to see what next week holds. It is an amazing feeling to know that your children are safe and happy when you drop them off at school in the morning and the smiles that greet you when you pick them up, are priceless!

Posted August 18, 2012

I was very unhappy with this school!!! My Daughter did not learn how to read at this school. Because there was to many problems in the classroom and the teachers had to deal with it. There was no books for the kids to learn how to read. You would think all the money you spent here your child would get a good education. Not True!!! I am glad I took my daughter out of this school!!

Posted May 8, 2012

This school is very disappointing. Amazing teachers (they really try so hard) great academics and such. Compassion is NOT on the syllabus. I've never seen so many ruthless, heartless children. In my experiance kids that hurt others learn it from their parents and there is definatley a sense of entitlement and arrogance among many of the other parents. There is a very serious bullying problem that is not being addressed.It's almost like they want to hide it. Its sad really, The teachers are amazing. It's a shame they are being wasted on only the ones that can afford it. Academics mean nothing when a child isn't taught to have a heart for others

Posted May 7, 2012

Finding Independent Day School made our move to Tampa the very best thing to happen to our two children. Our oldest has already moved on to high school and had a fantastic year. I credit the very talented IDS teachers with his success and positive outlook on how he handles all the challenges of high school. I'm glad we still have one child at IDS. The blend and balance of activities in the curriculum has our youngest eager to go to school each day. I love this place.

Posted March 21, 2012

Independent Day School is a wonderful place with a warm learning environment. Most of the teachers received their gifted endorsement last year. Despite this, I do not feel that my child is challenged academically. The school should do more to work with those students that are capable of working above their grade level.

Posted October 31, 2011

I love this school. Everyone has gone above and beyond to help my grandchild. I would rate this school with 5 stars!

Posted October 1, 2011

This is the third year that our grandchild is at IDS. IDS was picked originally because of the numerous graduates of the school that we had met and been very impressed with. The parents wanted this wonderful child to get a well rounded education and understand that todays world requires not only a great education but also acceptance and understanding of differences. We have been more than happy that we have received even more than we had anticipated in PreK-3 and 4. This year is at it's start and we are a little concerned with what appears to be a shift from the happy , welcoming and nurturing, environment that we have previously experienced in the classroom to a more rigid less welcoming attitude from the teachers. Obviously if this had been what the child's parents had wanted they would have enrolled her at another school that offered a rigid environment in which every child is forced to fit fit into a circle even when they are not.. However it is the beginning of the school year and we have tremendous hope that IDS hasn't taken what the few disgruntled parents have written to heart t and are attempting to turn this wonderful school into that which many of us have run from.

Posted August 31, 2011

After searching many of the local schools I was very pleased to find IDS. Its nice to see a place that works to be the best. I was skeptical that it was to good to be true as well but after asking to sit through the teacher trainings and making it to the classes (for more than just the tour) I found a school that wants the best for their kids. I am sad to see the other report and wish them and their new school the best. For my well rounded son its a great place with good teachers and leadership.

Posted August 27, 2011

We are so happy that we pulled our children from IDS. They are actually learning and not spending all day in specials or in a chaotic classroom. Teachers are not allowed to be honest with parents about difficulties. We were lucky to have 3 hours of math a week and science only happened 1 hour a week -and that was a good week! There was no guided reading for our children on a consistent basis, no spelling lessons, no vocabulary, and no social studies. This school works really hard to sell its program and convince others it is the best out there. Many(over two dozen families ) left last year and after the new year has started we are finding how the rest of the schools in Tampa are actually doing what needs to be done for our children. I am sure the next post will say that the school is the best thing that happened to their family. And in response to the last post about what school doesn't have behavioral issues: of course every school has them, but IDS doesn't handle the issues. It may take a year or two, but anyone who is at IDS will see - my advice would be to don't rely on first impressions. And, there's a reason why the school is still accepting students for this year.

Posted August 24, 2011

My son went to public school for kindergarten and he had a great experience there, but the school didn't have a sense of community and had very few specials because of budget cuts. My husband and I did't want our son going to an elementary school that had 10 kindergarten classes! We switched to IDS for 1st grade and our son flourished. IDS is a happy place and we witnessed our son's growth on so many levels. My son has several students in his class that are foreign and their parents are on assignment in the US. The class diversity is awesome. Non-traditional schools are not for everyone or every parent, but we love IDS. There isn't such a thing as a perfect school, but this school strives to continually make themselves better. For the poster that said this school has students with behavioral issues- every school has some! I bet the public schools deal with a lot more students with "issues" .

Posted August 18, 2011

I was attracted to this school last year for my 4-year-old because it offers the International Baccalaureate program for primary students. It was a fabulous year. His reading and writing skills are taking off and he loves to go to school. We are so excited about the new year. Teachers here really understand how to support gifted kids.

Posted May 2, 2011

I'm a parent with 3 kids at IDS. We have been really happy over our 4 years at the school. Teachers at IDS are motivated, well-trained, and caring. They know and respect my children as individuals, and they teach the children to treat each other with the same kind of respect and dignity. What a positive community to be a part of! The kids really respond well to the culture of IDS--they strive to meet the expectations in both academic and leadership areas. As others have noted, we've been very happy with fine arts and athletics programs at the school. No institution achieves all of its goals all of the time, but we've been very pleased with the goals, and the widespread commitment to them, at this school.

Posted April 29, 2011

This is the best investment we have every made! One of our kids had some difficulty in his primary years. IDS teachers carved out an individual plan that worked with his challenges, and spent countless after hours with him for FREE! He is now right where he should be with his academics, and is such a wonderful young boy that is happy, intelligent, athletic and proud to be at IDS. As a mother of four, all we really care for is that our children develop mentally, academically, socially, and mostly just to be happy! WE ARE VERY GRATEFUL AND BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND IDS almost a decade ago!

Posted April 28, 2011

Our kids started in kindergarten. Two years ago our son was honored with Duke TIP and now our daughter scored high enough to be named. We credit the teachers at the school.

Posted April 28, 2011

I highly recommend this school to anyone who wants to give their children extraordinary education. My kids have all benefited greatly from their experience at IDS. The teachers really take time with the children to make sure they know the material.

Posted April 22, 2011

EMBARRESSED THAT I HAVE ENDURED THIS SCHOOL THIS LONG. This so called school is filled with empty promises. I was promised my child was in the right place and will have individual customized instruction. That DID NOT happen. My child is average and could be above if he was able to spend enough time in class to learn math, reading, and writing. Sadly, they are too busy going to music, drama, PE, dance, intramurals, computer, and maybe spend at best 2 hours per day in class. We have paid thousands of dollars for camp not an education. Now we are paying big bucks to get tutored to enter public school because the IDS way does not educate students for the real world of accountability. The Board of Directors must have no idea what really goes on because I certainly don t ever want my name attached to this joke of school. Good Riddance IDS-CC. formidable

Posted April 20, 2011

This school does not use text books or do "everyday math" every day? Didn't really get a good feel for the curriculum. Do really know much about multi-age. Can't see where they are an IB school even though they talked circles about they are an IB school and kagan model. Can't really figure out what they are doing except "specials", lunch, and kids fending for themselves in classrooms. Help me understand, I'm trying to find the good in this school that I saw on tour.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • Debate
  • Forensics club

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Corbett Preparatory School of IDS
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Multi-aged

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom