No rating

Corbett Preparatory School of IDS

Private | PK-8 | 535 students

Corbett Prep of IDS - Inspiring New Name, Same Extraordinary School Since 1968

Living in Tampa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $100,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted Thursday, August 28, 2014

We have two children who attend Corbett Prep. I can't say enough about how impressed my wife and I are with the entire school. From the admissions personnel to the office staff to the classroom teachers to the parent volunteers, everyone has been exceedingly friendly and helpful. This is our children's second year at the school and they are completely IN LOVE with it. Academically, we are extremely happy to this point. We have not had any problems with teachers communicating with us about progress AND problems with our children. The school set high standards and expectations in the beginning and have, in our opinion, lived up to every bit of it. Would definitely recommend this school to anyone interested.

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Having both of my children at Corbett Prep/IDS for many years, I can tell you first hand that the school has some serious issues. The teachers are wonderful and the parents are very involved. There is a serious bullying problem and after many many parents have complained to the headmaster, Joyce Swarzman and the board of directors, NOTHING has ever been done. Dr. Swarzman is very good at" Lip Service" meaning she will tell you what you want to hear to your face just to make you happy, but will not take action for any problems from students, teachers, faculty, etc. We pulled both of our kid out of Corbett Prep and put them in public school for the first time where they THRIVED and EXCELLED. Unfortunately both of my kids were severely behind in math. I spoke to a former CP/IDS parent who is a professional tutor and she also said that her kids (and many CP/IDS) kids where/are lacking in math skills. The school is a very nice and fun school with a great performing arts program, unfortunately Dr. Swarzman is running it into the ground. Beware of the education that your high $$$ tuition is getting your child. I would NEVER send my child or any child there because of the headmaster.

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Both of our children have attended IDS/Corbett Prep for many years and thanks goodness we saw the true issues within this school and were able to move our kids out quickly. This school has severe bullying issues! If you fund the school enough your kids can get away with anything they want. Teachers unfortunately are told to turn the other way and so will staff if the parents are large supporters of this school. Not only are there bullying issues but safety and security issues within this school. Your kids are not kept safe!!!! There is no bullying policy, no nurse on staff as ALL public schools have and the school is a free for all!! Please do not waste your money on a school that is not going to keep your child safe or give them a strong academic education!! Our kids were straight A students at Corbett Prep and got to the public school system and had challenges with academics. Very unfortunate!!!! Take a look at older posts that were truly written by some parents that have been very unhappy before making a decision. All of the fluff written from parent's below may or may not be accurate. The Hair's

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Having one child graduate from Corbett Prep and another child soon to graduate I have only admiration and loyalty for the faculty and staff. The teachers as well as Dr. Swarzman are alway available to assist myself or my child 24/7. The faculty have gone above and beyond on many occasions for my children. Our oldest child has now moved onto an IB high school and is thriving socially and academically. CP gave my child the knowledge, self-confidence, organization and study skills to excel in high school. Our current child loves sports over academics, the facility is always there to assist my child to stay on track, being responsible for the work and feeling great about themselves. We have attended other private schools in Tampa and have other then ever seen a school where the headmaster will personally call you back even on the weekends. The faculty are the most caring individuals I have ever met. They go the extra mile to get to know you and your family. Which is rare for any school now days. CP has changed the way my children learn, study, organize their time and especially how they feel about themselves. My kids are winners thanks to Corbett Prep of IDS!!!

Posted July 21, 2014

With our oldest daughter getting ready to attend college, we decided to cut costs by sending our second-grader to public school. At such a young age, we figured he could adapt to any school setting, which he did, but not without some consternation. Curiosity about a new school helped allay some of his concerns about leaving Corbett Prep. But as the school year progressed, so did his dismay. Not that he didn t like his new school, he liked Corbett Prep more, and asked periodically if he would be able to go back. Unfortunately, there were no more spots available at the beginning of the year. Persistent, whenever he would see the headmaster, Dr. Joyce Swarzman, he would tell her how much he missed Corbett Prep. Before the school year ended, Swarzman found a spot, making Alex one happy little boy. Asked why he was so insistent on returning to Corbett Prep, he said he enjoyed the range of special courses art, drama, music and Spanish - offered to elementary students and, learning is fun there. Ladale Lloyd and LaSonja Smith

Posted May 5, 2014

We recently switched from the public school system and are thrilled with our decision. I love the fact that my children are receiving Science and Social Studies through hands-on activities in the primary and intermediate grades. These subjects were rarely taught at our previous school, yet the subjects they most enjoy! They come home talking about the experiments they observed or new concepts learned.

Posted May 5, 2014

I have lived in Tampa my whole life and always heard that IDS, the name of Corbett Prep at the time, was the very best. Now that I have two daughters, my wife and I decided to give them the very best...a Corbett Prep education. I can say that the school lives up to every expectation and the reputation it holds. What wasn't expected is the friendships with other parents, who we now consider a part of our family. If you are looking for a school that just does book work and then sends the child home, this school is NOT for you. If you want a school that developes the whole child, shows them how to be leaders, and challenges them by always raising the bar...consider Corbett Prep as your best investment. Thank you to the teachers who make the difference and the staff that supports their every need to ensure that my children get the VERY BEST.

Posted May 4, 2014

Beautiful school with excellent arts/extracurriculars and some very good teachers, but... Too many children per classroom to really differentiate at the level they need...or preach they do. And academics are lacking in several areas. Friends who have left and some who are still at the school agree that you have to be proactive to get your children to be challenged academically. There are a few teachers that are quite apathetic in the classroom.

Posted April 25, 2014

Great school with amazing teachers. They even have a wonderful chef who serves delicious meals daily. I would recommend this school to everyone.

Posted April 23, 2014

Corbett Prep is our home! We have three children who attend school at Corbett Prep. This is our ninth year here and we love it more each year. All three of our children are very different and yet, they all are challenged appropriately. Each child is challenged and motivated to do his best work in the classroom. In addition, there are many other opportunities to learn outside the classroom that our boys participate in. There are music classes, dance classes, and theatre. It is a truly balanced education...academics, arts, and athletics. Specifically, I must comment on their drama & musical theatre programs... They are out of this world amazing...giving all kids a chance to shine!

Posted March 3, 2014

Academics are average. Two children at school. Both scored above the 95% percentile on SAT tests. School did not challenge or significantly contribute to their ability to go to high school.

Posted February 4, 2014

I was a student but I moved last year. I enjoyed this school because I was a little above average at something, so it made sure that I wasn't bored in that class. There science program could be better. They mix 3, 4, and 5 grade together to do the same science in four groups. I enjoy the after school activities we do though. One of my favorite is Warrior's Pride Chorus. Fourth and Fifth graders get to join a chorus where we preform and do a big play at the end of the year. The is also a middle school chorus but I didn't stay in time for that. I do wish a couple of the kids would behave better. I was a relatively good kid (nobodies perfect) but we had so many bad kids that the teacher kept yelling all year. Also, a big thing about this school is you have "positively phrase" your words like, "This is other than appropriate for school." So you have to be ready for that. Besides that it is an AMAZING school, and I've been to quite a few schools.

Posted October 22, 2013

Corbett Prep is our 2nd home. All three of my children, my husband, and I adore the school and all it offers for our family. Our boys are growing up in a place where they teach the "whole child", confidence is imbeded at a young age, and learning is fun! My kids WANT to go to school every day and I too, enjoy spending time on campus or doing activities that directly support Corbett Prep!

Posted October 21, 2013

Corbett Prep is a wonderful school! The teachers are the very best, the breadth of opportunities is absolutely unmatched! My child receives such a broad spectrum of education, including an amazing core education, plus music, art, drama, dance, PE, Spanish, computer, library, chorus and intramurals! We love the MORE approach that Corbett Prep offers....More Options for Results in Education, and you can see the results in the students! We are in our 5th year at the school, and couldn't be more pleased with our experience. The Community School of the Arts is also very special and provides some amazing, above-and-beyond enrichment in art, music and drama, including an extraordinary musical theater program that is open to the Tampa Bay community...what a gift for my child!

Posted October 21, 2013

Corbett Prep is an amazing school that puts every child first. We have been at the school for 5 wonderful years and have seen our daughter absolutely soar. Her self-confidence, problem solving skills, acceptance of others for who they are, joy of learning, and overall strong leadership skills are a direct result of attending Corbett Prep since she was in Pre K3. I strongly encourage anyone looking at Private Schools to schedule a campus visit; I promise it will be a decision you will be happy you made.

Posted October 21, 2013

This school is beyond amazing! Our children have flourished under the guidance of intelligent, creative, and caring teachers. We are so thankful that they are being immersed in a multitude of specials in addition to their academics during this sad time when the public institutions are cutting P.E., music, recess,and art from the daily schedule. Each of our children is being challenged and is above grade level. They are upset when they are sick and cannot attend school! We would choose this school over and over again.

Posted October 21, 2013

We've been at this school for 8 years and have been very happy. Our teachers and office staff constantly strive to do their very best. All of our teachers received Gifted certifications through on-site training with a local college, among many other certifications. They frequently attend trainings and meet as a group to evaluate their own work and how that ties in with the entire school. The education at Corbett Prep is very well rounded, as many reviewers have listed before me. The kids are not just receiving an academic education, they are learning essential social skills that will empower them in the future. We are thrilled to be part of the Corbett Prep family.

Posted May 28, 2013

This school is everything I could ever ask for for my child. In PK-4, my son has eaten at a medieval feast, soared to the moon in rocket, gotten his "driver's license", and sailed on the Mayflower. Tonight, he told me how the flag described in our national anthem was real and how it inspired Francis Scott Key who watched it from the boat. All of this has been learned through immersion and fun interaction. There is no pressure, no stress, nothing but smiles. It is amazing and I could not say enough to describe what a wonderful start in life Corbett Prep is giving my child.

Posted April 25, 2013

I attended IDS in the early 1970's followed by Tampa Prep. I have a BA in Physics from Holy Cross Worchester Ma and a Ph.D. From Florida in Physics. I'm employed By Bruker as a physicist. IDS is a great school for self motivated Kids, like me, my Brother MD-Columbia(NY), and Sister Ph.D math-Brown. Were the students end up I think says alot for the schools they started at.

Posted December 10, 2012

My grandchildren have been in IDS for 5 years. They have never once complained about going to school. They love it. They are learning so much.It is an exciting and nurturing environment.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • Debate
  • Forensics club

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Corbett Preparatory School of IDS
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Multi-aged

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom