PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Children who feel happy and valued at school are better able to learn. Corbett Prep was founded almost 50 years ago on this belief and remains devoted to the ideal that students who are respected as unique human beings and allowed to fulfill their needs to play, investigate and be themselves will be open to and excited about learning. In creating an educational environment where academic, artistic and athletic experiences bring joy and challenge and one that rewards effort and initiative, Corbett Prep teachers foster a true enthusiasm for learning.
December 11, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Where do I begin? Having been a teacher myself, I know that Corbett offers exactly what other schools need to offer. In addition, it is a place where kids know that the sky is the limit and that the children have the full support of every faculty and staff member. Children are nurtured to be the best versions of themselves and are pushed and encouraged to stretch beyond what they think they can do. Our daughter has gone from being an above average student coasting through school to an above average student who has been stretched emotionally, academically, and socially and has been given the opportunity to develop talents/interests that we did not know existed. When our son started PK4 he was extremely extroverted on the personal level and extremely shy in front of an audience, big or small. Through all of the exposure to specials, academics, and school performances he has turned into a young man who is motivated by the school culture to take his learning very seriously through practicing scripts on his own, taking risks to be in and practice for the school wide spelling bee, and push himself to be a critical thinker and figure things out until concepts stick. Our youngest daughter is now in the same class my son was in 5 years ago and the attention to detail the teachers give is the same. She is a 4 year old who feels completely comfortable with her surroundings, mimics what the teachers model for her and even finds ways to express her emotions in her own 4 year old way like when she says, "you make my heart happy/sad because..." Corbett Prep is a place where kids are permitted to comes to schools as individuals and leave as individuals. The entire Corbett Prep community fosters an environment of high expectations for all and an enormous amount of teamwork goers into making everyday a win-win for everyone. Corbett is the school of MORE for a reason. It is a one-stop-shop and still growing. Whether or not parents send their kids for a reason, a season or a lifetime, I believe the effects are positive. I am confident that all three of my children, who are all very different, will graduate having had the most well-rounded education that will prepare them for any high school they want to attend. For parents who are looking for an EXPERIENCE they should send their children to Corbett Prep because when experiences are created learning lasts FOREVER!

Corbett is a fabulous school for anyone who wants their kids to think outside the box. Corbett gives the kids intellectual freedom to discover a variety of ways to solve a problem, a truly liberal arts approach to education. My daughter cannot wait to get up and go to school every day! She feels supported and is learning SO MUCH. We're big fans!

The school is an expensive fine arts school that doesn't teach your children actual subjects that will prepare them for college. Dr. Swarzman is a brilliant woman and it is so unfortunate that she wouldn't want to implement actual learning at her school when she clearly is very passionate about educating children. I know that they pride themselves that it is about the 'whole child" but that isn't useful when your child is average and can have the potential to be taught grit and other behaviors to prepare them for college. The teachers do not hold the students accountable and if they did not complete an assignment they are not reprimanded. The homework assignments are a joke and the testing is even more a joke. Last year when Corbett Prep was ranked 25 out of 50 private schools in the Tampa Bay Area I decided I had a better chance with my child at a public school. My child should have gotten a better education going to this so called prep school but all he learned was how to use his stage presence to do these ridiculous recitals. When my child attended Corbett Prep he was happy but also frustrated because the teachers would give assignments without EVER teaching them the concepts. Example: math homework sent home but teacher NEVER taught the math concept. That was when I knew I had to draw the line. If my kid is crying because they do not know how to do the assignment because they were never taught, who's fault is this? Oh but don't worry, If you do want to send your child here you can be very happy to know that they will be amazing at knowing what color they are on the mood meter. Very useful vs other real prep schools that teach you actual subjects.

Corbett Prep is one of the best choices we have ever made for our kids. Our daughter has been attending since 2014 and her attitude toward going to school is nothing less than great! We love Corbett and plan to have all our our children go there as well. If you are looking for the best private school in Tampa, just tour the campus and you too will know it's the school for your child.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Love it all it is. We love Corbett Prep! We plan on sending all of our kids there!

I am a current parent at Corbett Prep and have been increasingly unhappy with the school. My first and least important complaint is the idea that everything has to be positively phrased. I do not feel that this prepares children well for the real world and for their futures. Secondly there is the idea of treating to mastery meaning that if a child does poorly, they are often allowed to retake until they "master" the concept, leading to an improved grade as well. Again, this does not prepare them well for their future. The school portrays the impression that they are "All about Kids" and even has published a book to that effect. However, when suggestions are made by parents of ways to better involve the children in the school or in things such as a graduation party theme for the seniors or for the class gift from the seniors to the school, these suggestions are ignored because it has not be tradition to do so. There is definitely a very "clique" feel to the way opinions and suggestions are handled and the way committees are set up. I worry this mentality is seen by the children as well and can be detrimental to them in the future.

I have two children currently at Corbett Prep, and another who has already graduated from the school. We have been, and remain, extremely grateful for the environment at Corbett Prep. All three children are excelling academically (including the one who is now in a top-notch IB high school). They have benefited tremendously from teachers who believe in them, encourage them, and expect them to develop in all ways: as scholars, as responsible global citizens, as leaders, as respectful and considerate human beings. They have tremendous opportunities, and support, to explore their artistic and athletic possibilities. And as I said, they are doing all of this in a school community (friends, teachers, families) that is positive, friendly, and always striving to be both emotionally and physically safe. What could be better?

This is my daughters 4th year at this school and we couldn't be happier. I just stumbled upon this site and felt the need to review after reading a couple of the reviews especially concerning the niceness of the children and lack of structure and discipline. I was speaking to another parent about how wonderful it was that our daughters had all types of friends with all different personalities, gender, grades, likes and dislikes. The girls and boys all play and get along even if the girls don't hang out all the time they are still happy to see each other and give hugs to each other. Also love the fact that she knows a lot of older kids by name that go out of their way to say hi to her, give hugs and truly care about her. This school is incredibly welcoming to both student and parents. My daughter has a confidence, strength and openess to new experiences that is facilitated by the schools way of teaching. She has such a love for learning and excitement for school. Having our daughter at Corbett Prep is the best decision my husband and I have ever made.

I was a student at Corbett prep for a little bit until I got transferred to another school which I love. At Corbett prep kids were always running around the class and I don't remember learning anything. The headmistress, on the rare occasions the bad students got sent to her, would give them candy in her office. During the 3/4 of the year I was there, I learned absolutely nothing. When my mom complained to the headmistress I was repeatedly asked by my home room teacher what I did like about that school which I wanted to tell her that I didn't like anything. The girls there were all in cliques except one of my good friends who now goes to CDS and loves it. Corbett prep is an awful school and I didn't learn anything and onlyhad one friend.

Last modified Corbett Preparatory School of IDS is a Private school that serves grades PK-8