PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Children who feel happy and valued at school are better able to learn. Corbett Prep was founded almost 50 years ago on this belief and remains devoted to the ideal that students who are respected as unique human beings and allowed to fulfill their needs to play, investigate and be themselves will be open to and excited about learning. In creating an educational environment where academic, artistic and athletic experiences bring joy and challenge and one that rewards effort and initiative, Corbett Prep teachers foster a true enthusiasm for learning.
December 11, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted February 16, 2016
Corbett Prep is one of the best choices we have ever made for our kids. Our daughter has been attending since 2014 and her attitude toward going to school is nothing less than great! We love Corbett and plan to have all our our children go there as well. If you are looking for the best private school in Tampa, just tour the campus and you too will know it's the school for your child.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 16, 2016
Love it all it is. We love Corbett Prep! We plan on sending all of our kids there!

Grateful to: School leader

Posted December 11, 2015
We couldn’t be happier and we are so grateful that we found Corbett Preparatory school of IDS. Not only overwhelming support that we get from teachers and staff but also for their unique learning experience and educational approach is quiet amazing. This is our 3rd private school experience due to relocation and we experienced from very traditional learning style to Montessori style learning but I have never seen anything like Corbett Prep School. Their philosophy and leadership is beyond belief. You have to really see it to believe it. Or maybe just read the book they published “It’s All About Kids: Every Child Deserves a Teacher of the Year” and it was #1New York Best selling book list and translated in 2 other languages.( Chinese and Spanish). They host each year a lot of other school visitors for observing and learning from Corbett Prep teachers. Even my own son was impressed with his school and thanks us for picking the very best school for him. The principle (Corbett Prep Headmaster) Dr. Joyce Burick Swarzman! She is truly inspiring, affectionate, friendly, caring and very kind. She knows every child by name and gives them a big hug when she sees them and always so caring even greets and opens car doors for students during dismissal rain or shine. With all my heart, I am so thankful for Corbett Prep because it is wonderful to see when the school helps your child’s happiness and success flourish. Thank you Corbett Preparatory School of IDS. The Nicholson Family

Posted December 11, 2015
- a school leader

Corbett Preparatory School of IDS 1

Posted December 10, 2015
I am a current parent at Corbett Prep and have been increasingly unhappy with the school. My first and least important complaint is the idea that everything has to be positively phrased. I do not feel that this prepares children well for the real world and for their futures. Secondly there is the idea of treating to mastery meaning that if a child does poorly, they are often allowed to retake until they "master" the concept, leading to an improved grade as well. Again, this does not prepare them well for their future. The school portrays the impression that they are "All about Kids" and even has published a book to that effect. However, when suggestions are made by parents of ways to better involve the children in the school or in things such as a graduation party theme for the seniors or for the class gift from the seniors to the school, these suggestions are ignored because it has not be tradition to do so. There is definitely a very "clique" feel to the way opinions and suggestions are handled and the way committees are set up. I worry this mentality is seen by the children as well and can be detrimental to them in the future.

Posted October 26, 2015
I have two children currently at Corbett Prep, and another who has already graduated from the school. We have been, and remain, extremely grateful for the environment at Corbett Prep. All three children are excelling academically (including the one who is now in a top-notch IB high school). They have benefited tremendously from teachers who believe in them, encourage them, and expect them to develop in all ways: as scholars, as responsible global citizens, as leaders, as respectful and considerate human beings. They have tremendous opportunities, and support, to explore their artistic and athletic possibilities. And as I said, they are doing all of this in a school community (friends, teachers, families) that is positive, friendly, and always striving to be both emotionally and physically safe. What could be better?

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted October 24, 2015
On of the basic principles the school is based on is Dignity and Respect to everyone.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted October 24, 2015
Yes they believe in this so much that over the summer they sent 8 teachers to Yale University for and extensive training in Emotiinal Intelligence at a cost to our school. They have started to implement some of what they learned this year and I am so excited to see the students grow in yet another area!

Posted October 24, 2015
This is my daughters 4th year at this school and we couldn't be happier. I just stumbled upon this site and felt the need to review after reading a couple of the reviews especially concerning the niceness of the children and lack of structure and discipline. I was speaking to another parent about how wonderful it was that our daughters had all types of friends with all different personalities, gender, grades, likes and dislikes. The girls and boys all play and get along even if the girls don't hang out all the time they are still happy to see each other and give hugs to each other. Also love the fact that she knows a lot of older kids by name that go out of their way to say hi to her, give hugs and truly care about her. This school is incredibly welcoming to both student and parents. My daughter has a confidence, strength and openess to new experiences that is facilitated by the schools way of teaching. She has such a love for learning and excitement for school. Having our daughter at Corbett Prep is the best decision my husband and I have ever made.

Corbett Preparatory School of IDS 1

Posted October 22, 2015
I was a student at Corbett prep for a little bit until I got transferred to another school which I love. At Corbett prep kids were always running around the class and I don't remember learning anything. The headmistress, on the rare occasions the bad students got sent to her, would give them candy in her office. During the 3/4 of the year I was there, I learned absolutely nothing. When my mom complained to the headmistress I was repeatedly asked by my home room teacher what I did like about that school which I wanted to tell her that I didn't like anything. The girls there were all in cliques except one of my good friends who now goes to CDS and loves it. Corbett prep is an awful school and I didn't learn anything and onlyhad one friend.

12015 Orange Grove Drive, Tampa, FL  33618
Last modified Corbett Preparatory School of IDS is a Private school that serves grades PK-8