Tampa Preparatory School 1

Posted August 27, 2014
My AP and advanced classes were NOT at all mentally or academically challenging. I found that I was surrounded by people who had very little passion for learning or education, and although the teachers wanted to do more, they were limited by the students being so incompetent. Although prep boasts that all of their classes are 'Honors classes' they really shouldn't be labeled so. I do not reccommend prep to post IB, gifted,or magnet school students.

Posted April 09, 2013
Tampa preps education is outstanding! The teacher involvement with the kids is excellent. The academics no doubt is on a high level to challenge each child to have them prepared for college. It is what value each child wants to put into their education to get into a good college. Yes, it is not cheap to go to TP. Look at the colleges many of the students got into this year. Harvard, UF, USF, Tufts and so on. Highly rec this school! Parent of a 10th grader

Tampa Preparatory School 1

Posted January 22, 2013
My daughter graduated from Tampa Prep and did not get into a good college. If you are considering Tampa Prep, ask where last year s class went to college. Don t settle for a list of colleges, ask for a list that shows how many students went to each college. Now compare this list to one from Jesuit, Berkley, and any of the IB programs. The sad truth is that the IB programs have the best track record (and they are free), followed by Jesuit, Berkley, and a distant fourth, Tampa Prep. My advice: get your kid into an IB program. Yes they will work hard, but if they do well they will get into a good school guaranteed. Why do Tampa Preps students come in last? Two reasons: a weak student body (Tampa Prep will accept anyone that can pay the $16,000 a year tuition) and bad teachers. Some examples: teachers that tell students to read the book while the teacher surfs the internet; teachers that take weeks to return graded tests; and teachers that preach politics instead of teaching. Over the last year, Great Schools has removed seven negative reviews of Tampa Prep. They will probably remove this one also, but I will post it other places so people learn the truth about Great Schools.
4 people found this helpful

Posted June 03, 2012
This is a top notch learning institution. I attended TP almost 10 years ago and my studies there helped me earn a spot at a top 20 national university. I would NOT trade this experience for a Florida public high school education. The depth and breadth of material the students take in at Tampa Prep allows them to surpass their peers at the college level and beyond. I credit Tampa Prep for providing me with a foundation from which I've excelled, both at university and in the workforce.

Posted May 13, 2011
I went to this school for 6 years and had an amazing experience. I won't lie, it was very expensive, and very difficult; the courses were taught at a far higher comprehension level than most of my friends experienced at their public schools. That being said, I was much better prepared for college, now attend a prestigious university, and am preparing for graduate school. I don't know what I would have done without Tampa Prep.

Posted May 13, 2010

Posted October 15, 2009

Tampa Preparatory School 0

Posted August 26, 2009
New headmaster (Principal) is GREAT! Don't know why he doesn't get 5 stars.

Tampa Preparatory School 3

Posted May 26, 2008
I attended this school for junior and senior year. The teachers are really nice and very caring. But academically it has fallen behind over the years. I recommend your kid take AP courses if they want to get anywhere and want to be more challenged. The worst thing about this school is the guidance. They don't help you with college until junior year and many students aren't pushing to go to the top uni's in the country or state anymore. If you have a gifted child and want to make sure they get into the right uni for them might as well spend the extra grand and go to Berkley, yes a former TP'er is confessing that.

Posted April 02, 2008
This is the BEST school in Hillsborough County, including all Private and Public Schools. My daughter attended all 3 years of Middle School. I have never seen such an involved school before. There is so much thought put into all they do. They plan activites, to help the students form friendships, avoid forming clicks and do not tollerate bullying behavior. All administrative staff are also faculty, so decisions are not made in the dark - they know each student. There are 4 main accademic teachers in each grade level who teach in classes surounding a computer hub. The teachers are excellent, well prepared and enthusiastic. Ample sports & elective options. Theater is GREAT. Only down side is most families live in S. Tampa, hard for others to socialize. Only negative is school favors families with deep pockets, and many girls tend to be clicky. But great education.

Tampa Preparatory School
727 West Cass Street, Tampa, FL  33606
Last modified Tampa Preparatory School is a Private school that serves grades 6-12
Tampa Preparatory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top