Tampa, FL

Posted May 29, 2014
I can not say enough wonderful things about this school. The teachers and leadership are absolutely fantastic. The staff show so much care and concern for the overall well being of the children. The IB program is phenomenal and the way they integrate real word into the classroom couldn't be better. The staff really care about all students and families. The students are exceptionally well behaved. The school prides itself in molding children to be good stewards of our environment, to have high moral character, and to be respectful. I'm so happy we chose CDS.

Posted October 08, 2013
I am writing this review because my family moved from the Northeast last year and, having one child in elementary school, one in middle school and one in h.s., I was appalled by the academics in the FL public schools. I had never considered private schools before but I needed an alternative. We explored every option but fell in love with CDS. I was still very worried that it would not be worth the money. Having been there for 2 months now, I can say that is absolutely is! When they tell you that they care about the success of your kids and that they encourage critical thinking, they back it 100%. I have never been at such a school where they listen to the kids, parents, and actual research on what works best. My kids are so happy with the small environment and I walk out of there so impressed every time I attend a school event. The academics are challenging but not overwhelming. Every teacher cares about making the kids better thinkers. The heads of the school are very involved and caring. Technology is integrated into the classrooms. Creativity and that extra effort is evident in the teaching. I feel like my kids will be fully prepared to succeed in college and life.

Posted September 27, 2013
Carrollwood Day School is for you if ... your expectation is that your child will receive a fantastic college preparatory education, that your child will be held to high standards in academic performance and moral character, and strongly encouraged to explore the world around them. Our children have been provided with wonderful opportunities outside academics too ... athletics, arts, leadership and community service. CDS has joined us (parents) in giving them the "tools" they need for success in the future. Our kids have made so many great friends and relationships ... we know their future looks bright.

Posted April 13, 2013
As a parent, I am thrilled with how CDS is preparing all students for an ever-chaning world! There are many exciting initiatives occurring at CDS and the recent announcements regarding college counseling, additional principals, etc., only reinforce CDS is poised for even greater heights! Well done CDS!

Posted November 02, 2012
CDS pushes your child to succeed. If they show outstanding potential in one subject, they will prepare a more advanced lesson plan for your child. It is called enrichment. Classes are small enough to allow this. Character education is amazing. Teaching good choices in life is half the battle! Excellent parent/teacher communication. WELL WORTH YOUR MONEY.

Posted October 15, 2012
My child attended this school for 6 years (starting out at the preschool). The preschool is a below average education at a premium price. There are many far better alternatives. Many of the teachers do NOT have a degree in education (or at all)! I understand learning through play, but not teaching the basics of letter sounds and handwriting in pre-k is not adequently preparing children. There needs to be a balance.

Posted September 28, 2012
My child attended the elementary school and decided to leave due to a lack of science labs, math manipulatives, and reading skills. He was shocked by how many of his peers could not read proficiently. He is now very ill-prepared for public, middle school. I would not recommend this school. It is very expensive for such an average school. He learned far more at the public schools in my area. We are truly sorry for the experience. The staff is kind, but they do not push the kids to succeed.

Posted September 11, 2012
This school has been such a disappointment. Their preschool curriculum compared to other private schools is very weak. Early reading and writing is not encouraged in their pre-k program. The children color and play all day long. And although I feel playtime is important, myself as well as several other parents, agree that their should be some sort of balance. The only reason why my child knows how to write and recognize all of her letters and numbers is because I work with her at home. In addition, the principal supports inappropriate behaviors from her staff, and shows no concern or recognition for issues brought to her by parents. Over half of my daughter's peers in her classroom will not be returning due to similar concerns.

Posted September 05, 2012
My daughter has attended CDS for 6 years now (including the Early Childhood Campus). We have been very pleased with the level of education she has received. There have been a few minor bumps in the road along the way, but I believe that will happen anywhere. I find it interesting that most of the complaints on this site are riddled with typographical errors. It seems to say more about the parents than the school. We are so happy with our daughter's progress scholastically and emotionally. The fact that the teachers and staff focus on reading, writing, arithmetic, RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY resonated with us and the proof is in the results. I would highly recommend CDS!

Posted August 08, 2012
My daughter (6) has attended the Early Childhood Campus since age three, and she's moving on to CDS' elementary school this year! Her levels of inquiry, problem-solving, communication, creativity, empathy, reading and math increased exponentially in her time with the ECC's staff due, primarily, to their continued emphasis on learning through both structured and unstructured play. Our current American parenting culture's hyper-emphasis on a constant flow of "structured" activity appears, as supported by brain research, to be both counterproductive and, possibly, damaging. I applaud the ECC's commitment to remaining current through their emphasis on experiential, play-based learning for young children. The synopsis below from Scientific American Mind's article "The Serious Need for Play" (2009) reveals data that multiple additional studies support: "Childhood play is crucial for social, emotional and cognitive development. Imaginative and rambunctious free play, as opposed to games or structured activities, is the most essential type. Kids and animals that do not play when they are young may grow into anxious, socially maladjusted adults." BRAVO CDS!!!!

Carrollwood Day School
1515 W Bearss Ave, Tampa, FL  33613
Last modified Carrollwood Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Carrollwood Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top