Farnell Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1378 students

Posted today

My son is in 7th grade. Second year at Farnell and it's been a great middle school experience for my child. He loves middle school and has had a lot of academic success here. Great school..great location..awesome staff..teachers..and principal Mr. Cobb!

Posted January 23, 2014

I have had my two older children go to Farnell and now my youngest son attends. Farnell was an excellent school and now has become very "lacksadaisy." A lot of new teachers that don't seem to care, don't respond to emails, poor PTA president that doesn't do anything like Michelle Mayfield did, and they lost a great AP Mrs. Shellie Green. My husband and I moved into this community so our children could attend Bryant, Farnell and Sickles. Farnell would NEVER allow any students that did not live in the school zone and would double check to make sure of this and now, they let anyone attend and even check when they are informed of the kids not living in the school zone. They even go as far as posting on the school website for parents to buy laptops, tablets, bikes, game systems, name brand apparel to these students that are not supposed to be even attending Farnell and to other kids that don't even attend the school. Now there is bullying and children cutting themselves at the school that has gotten out of control. Guess it's time to look into private schools.

Posted January 12, 2014

I was a student and this was one of the worst schools i've ever been to. To start of the list there is a severe bullying problem, so severe that i had to switch schools. The area around Farnell is a very upperclass community and most of the kids are your stereotypical popular kids. I was bullied everyday i went to the 6th grade guidence counsler, Ms. Garcia,assistant principle, and the principle himself, they said that they would talk to me about who was bullying me but they never did. For a lot of the kids I knew if they were struggling in class the teachers would talk to their parents ( did more harm than good if you ask me) but never helped them in class. They also overpopulate the classes for months until they finally switch people around. If you have a child that is LGBT, emo, goth, alternative, scene, depression, anxiety, any mental health problems that could cause suicidal thoughts or actions, do them and yourself a favor and DO NOT SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL!!!

Posted December 24, 2013

Im sorry but my son hoes to Farnell and I have nothing bad to say about the school. My son is a special needs child and before Farnell he never brought me home a straight A's report card and he loves getting up every morning and attend school. I also have no complaints about bullying. Our family went through a time of need and Farnell was there to help us out and I will never forget how compassionate the school has been with us. Most importantly my son bringing me a High Honor roll is priceless.

Posted December 23, 2013

I'm a parent I have my 18 yr old daughter that attended many moons ago and did great. The leadership and discipline was great. Now I have my 12 yr old that is in her 2nd year there (7th grade) and this year has been challenging to say the least there are kids there that are cutting themselves. Guidance and teachers aware but don't even do a school program to make std aware that they are know and are taking the steps to help . That traumatized my daughter the clicks and verbal bully's are out of control something I wouldn't have ever expected and you call or go to the school and Nothing gets done Zero Discipline.

Posted September 15, 2013

I am a student at Farnell and I like it very much but some of my teachers give me homework on the computer.What if your computer breaks?But overall my teachers are VERY helpful and there are NO BULLIES at all! I am definetly staying until 8th grade!

Posted September 30, 2012

This school is outstanding. My son has attended for two years and has done amazing. The teacher's are incredibly helpful and are extremely concerned for each student. Since my son began he has been properly assessed and has made a HUGE turn around in his academics. All I can say is that I am very grateful that my son has had the opportunity to attend Farnell Middle.

Posted July 30, 2012

After moving here from NY, my daughter was able to adjust quickly. She was welcomed by all teachers and counselors. She also found it to be academically challenging.

Posted July 5, 2012

I just love this school!! It's right next to a fancy and award winning from the state elementary school that I went to. There aren't that much bullies compared to other schools.

Posted February 5, 2012

This school is sad. My son was in advanced classes and his homework consisted of word searches and coloring pages. My son also did not enjoy the complete craziness that ensued in the mornings while waiting for class to start. The teachers did not do a good job of monitoring.

Posted August 16, 2011

i honestly love this school if people say its a bad school its not its the best its just some people who have attitudes but if there attitude gets out of controle it will b handled. the education is great all the teachers i know are nice but if u dont diserve the respect of the teachers they wont give it to you i think farnell is a fair school, bad thing is u have to change out in p.e. but u get used to it i reccomend this school!!!!!1

Posted January 15, 2011

i was a 7th grader at farnell-it was my year though. betwwen bullies and teachers i had to leave schools again in midyear. the teaachers are terrible. i used to be a great behaving students then i got like a weeks worth off iss.

Posted January 3, 2011

I am in 6th grade at Farnell and I've got to say I think it is an amazing school I am an A B student and have always been in the advanced classes. While some of my 7 classes are very fun and easy they can also be serious and challenging at other times. The teacchers are very nice and treat the students all equally. Some teachers are definitley more leanient then others in ways like projects and other stuff like due dates and also when you can talk and what not. The only thing that I was worried about in the beggining of the year was that for gym we have to change out and even though there were stalls for girls to change in but, honestky you get used to it and when your with your friends you start to feel more confident with it but overall I lovee this school and recommend it for anyone.

Posted September 15, 2010

I am in 8th great at Farnell, it's my first year here. I must say, I'm anything but impressed with it. If you call the school with a question, after waiting around two months to get back to you, they won't even know the answer to it. While trying to enroll, it took them such a long time to get back to my mother I wasn't even in until 3 days before school started. Almost all of the faculty and staff have treated me and other students with such disrespect, it's insulting. Teachers and other staff jump on any opportunity to yell at me, I don't even want to know what would happen if I actually did something wrong. The education isn't anything great either. My language arts teacher can hardly tell the difference between a noun and a verb. Over all, I would not recommend this school.

Posted June 25, 2010

My child just finished three wonderful years at Farnell where she earned a Principal's Honor Roll Trophy - 3yrs(means all A's) for very challenging work. Her 8th grade classes included IPS Science (a high school credited class) whose teacher had tutoring on Tuesday evenings for those needing help, along with honors English and a very advanced History class. Her Chorus group thad Superior Ratings for 2009 & 2010 for which she received Hillsborough County medals both years. She scored a perfect FCAT Reading score in 7th grade not missing one question (FCAT for this year has not been released yet) and a great Math score all thanks to the education received here. The administration (headed by Mr Cobb, the principal) has been outstanding as has been the entire staff and teachers. There is no swimming and golf..this is a PUBLIC SCHOOL try Berkley Prep. Start your own Chess Club.

Posted February 1, 2010

My daughter loves this school she thinks its probably the nest school she has ever been to!

Posted December 29, 2009

Farnell is very poorly managed. The staff don't go out of their way to help anyone. The school is very large so not many students get to participate in sports.

Posted November 25, 2009

This school has a horrible environment. My grandchild went there and it was nothing but trouble from day one. Very poor leadership and poor attitudes from teachers. This school is very negative toward the children.

Posted October 20, 2009

Everyone really cares about the children from the principle to the cafeteria workers.

Posted June 29, 2009

Although well-rated by greatschools and in a nice neighborhood, we're frustrated with Farnell MS (perhaps normal for fl schools?): Poor atmosphere - constant cursing + daily bullying + rare and ineffectual discipline = students who don't want to be at Farnell (the offenders or victims). Questionable security/trust- Farnell principal chose not to address parents concerns for what could easilly happen here, regarding the recent tragic bullying case at nearby MS in same district with the same ineffectual anti-bullying processes. Non-challenging academics - 'top' classes boring for 'a' students. Few extracurrculars - (no swimming, golf, chess, clubs...). Summary - we're trying to get our kid into a magnet school where kids want to be, learn and positively interact with one another.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

437 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

437 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

484 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

483 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

474 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

474 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

471 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

477 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

392 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

360 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

• MR. JOHN COBB

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Gym
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now