Middleton High School

Public | 9-12 | 1267 students

Posted November 16, 2013

The magnet program at this school is top notch. We are very happy that our son is attending this school. The faculty and staff do a great job. The principal is very committed to student success.

Posted September 30, 2013

My school is Middleton high school,The land of the tigers,The one who never fall always rise up. Since I came to Middleton high school my dream start become real, A place where everyone is somebody, A school that show everyone future, A place that you feel real like a person not an animal, A place where everyone like not dislike, A place where you always see a better future above in the sky passing by. We will Improve our school in the disciplinary , respect way. We are the Tigers.

Posted August 23, 2013

Middleton STEM Magnet High School was one of two black Tampa high schools before integration. Pride from alumni and the black community rallied to raise their alma mater to a school with high expectations. The 12-year old new Middleton facility is an award- winning campus design with a large grassy central courtyard. Hillsborough County School District (the 4th largest in the USA) has committed their STEM high school resources to Middleton. At Middleton, over 30% of the students are enrolled in a magnet major. My experience is that my child is strong in technology but low in reading. He thrives from the balance of Middleton s challenging STEM classes with a strong reading proficiency program geared to students with low performance. The rigor of taking 8 credits (two classes per year) of Computer Technology has kept him focused on academic classes. Over the last 12 years Middleton's priority has been on safety, high expectations, great leadership and STEM enrollment. Athletics was not a #1 priority in the school culture. This enables average athletes to participate on a sports team for fun, exercise and commitment to Middleton Pride.

Posted August 17, 2013

My son is in the engineering magnet program and will graduate in 2014. He turned down IB to go to Middleton and it was definitely the right choice! The engineering curriculum is intensive and the faculty is awesome. He is also involved in the robotics program, which has been very successful over the past few years with teams earning a bid to the world championship for the past 3 years. (His team actually won the world championship in 2012, and were runners-up in 2013!) Middleton truly focuses on trying to ensure the every child has the opportunity to be successful, whether magnet or traditional.

Posted August 14, 2013

MHS has a culture promoting post secondary education for students of all skill levels with halls named for colleges and universities and a forward thinking administration and guidance staff. We boast national award winning US FIRST robotics team, and nationally recognized FBLA, FFA, and INTEL science students. Our magnet valedictorian in 2012 received a full ride scholarship to Columbia University and her immediate predecessor in 2011 earned a full scholarship to MIT. The teachers and staff at all levels are terrific to work with and communications with staff is excellent. In the past 3 years this school has elevated it's state rating from D to B status due to the culture of respect and learning at the admin level. There is a diversity of students and emphasis on STEM education. A variety of AP and dual enrollment courses are offered to students up for the challenge. MHS is a great school!

Posted February 20, 2013

Middleton is a great school that is improving every year. The amount of magnet students is rapidly increasing, and my experience there has been nothing short of fantastic.

Posted September 8, 2012

I recently moved my son from Alonso HS to the magnet program at MIddleton. The experience has been outstanding! Both the school's leadership and the faculty at the school are impressive. Middleton's robotics program is first in the world! My son is far happier and more academically challenged than he was at his prior school. I am confident that this school will prepare him for the competitive engineering universities to which he hopes to apply. I will admit that I was apprehensive about the buses in the morning but the bus driver is excellent and reliable and my son says he sleeps on the ride anyway. If you have a future scientist, mathematician or engineer, don't hesitate! This is the school for them!

Posted August 20, 2012

Best school for STEM program and Robotics. Committed and caring staff. Excellent choice for high school.

Posted October 30, 2011

I believe Middleton has really improved from when they first opened. the teachers seem to be more in tune with the students and it seems as if there not teaching to test, but rather teaching for a well rounded education.

Posted May 4, 2010

im a sen10r at middleton and our school has really made a change this year and the previous year following. mr.young has really stepped up and brought us together as he would say WERE A BIG FAMILY here at middleton. there are so many graet things that take place on this campus that no one knows about! bad news spreads way faster then goid news does!! I LOVE MY SCHOOL Aa d wouldnt want to graduate from anywhere else!

Posted May 4, 2010

I am the proud parent of an Honor Roll junior at Middleton High School. My daughter is a dancerett, math magnet student , and an all around volunteer in the community who excels in everything she does. I'd like to credit the exceptional new principal there and let him know how appreciative I am that he show concern for my daughter's grades as well as her wellbeing. I have witnessed this for myself and not only for my child but every child he comes in contact with. Also contrary to popular belief my daughter works with some of the best teachers in florida at this school. I'm forever grateful that i sent my daughter to this school and if I have my way her 2 sisters will follow in her footsteps. Keep climbing Middleton, we are behind you all the way.

Posted September 22, 2009

It's been a great start for this school year at Middleton. I am very impressed with the academic programs offered here at this school, not to mention the leadership is outstanding. During the open house great details was put on the family first, I was so impressed I can't wait for my next one to start high school. Never have I seen a more dedicated principal and staff. Their main concern is to see these children become something great, I have no doubt my child will excel with a great school such as Middleton. I've seen great things and support and can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds.

Posted August 26, 2009

I think it's a great school my oldest son started there when it first open he did great . He had no problems finish in 2006. Now my youngest is there his second year and love it and cousin left Hillsborough High to come for the great programs. It's on how you bring your kids up that's how they will act anywhere good or bad. It's not the school the problem !

Posted July 28, 2009

I love Middleton High School. My daughter is a Junior and is doing fantastic. She is an A student and doing dual enrollment at HCC thanks to the dedicaction of her teachers and guidance Counselor, Mrs. Booth. I think parents need to get involved in their child's education by making sure homework gets done, attendance and meeting the teachers. We can not leave it just to the school. We must work together. I love the school so much that my son will also be attending Middleton, into the Ingeneering Program. I know the teachers really work hard. Mr. Green, the principal is going to be missed. He was there for all the students and community. He always made me feel welcome and was super friendly, always willing to help in my child's education. I prary that Middleton will get the grade it deserves.

Posted January 24, 2009

i am about to graduate from Middleton High School and i love my school. Our Principal Mr. Green is very encouraging and tries to motivate us to strive for excellence. When i first came there were a lot of fights, but Middleton is definately coming up, there are way less fights and most of the students really want to learn. Most teachers are great and care, but others just need to leave. The magnet program is awesome, the teachers really care and want to see you do well and push you to do your best. CST is awesome! I would advise anyone who is interested in the magnet program to join it. Don't get involved with the gangs and you'll have a wonderful time at Middleton. There are ups and downs but overall its a great school

Posted December 28, 2008

I am a graduate of the nnewly opened Middleton High School. In my time spent at the school I saw a drastic decline in teacher and faculty leadership and quality. Much of the faculty used suspension as the sole means to get rid of kids who may have just need a little more one on one attention. Not since the schools original principal (Mr. Washington) has the school had not only a principal, but staff that truly cared about the well being of each and every student. While I believe that extracurricular activities are high; safety and discipline is a major issue at the school for a several reasons. The number one reason being the lack of communication between faculty and parens. Once there is a stronger relationship here, student morale can be boosted which ultimately will improve school safety and academics as a whole.

Posted December 28, 2008

While I enjoyed going to school at middleton, I was constantly frustrated with several of the educational tactics used, particularly with FCAT prep. Too much time was taken out of regular class in order to focus on FCAT schoolwide when only certain groups had difficulty passing the exam. I was also disappointed to find that the school board allocated their money in the wrong places, give too much to sports and magnet programs while forgetting the basics such as textbooks and other necessary supplies.

Posted February 27, 2008

as Posted 'July 1, 2007' middleton is a great school and is rough, but does without a doubt prepare you for the real world (cough unlike buchholz) it has great teachers even though i do like many they are great, not to set aside their are gang problems but if you stick to yourself, or dont get mixed up with people like that, your 4 years here will be smooth. if you need help offered every day is tutors (teachers and students) and even on saturdays the school never stops giving, when it comes to afterschool activites you have a load to choose and new 1's each year - like gutair club going up in a month or 2, to help people learn gutair and last but not least you like math, u love math? talk to mrs. woolf one of the greatest mu alpha theta (math team) teams you can find :)

Posted February 15, 2008

Middleton is the best high school ever. Thats my comment for all you guys haten

Posted December 18, 2007

Middleton is full of oppertunities that my school last failed to provide. There are always so many choices layed out infront of us as students, and many of our programs are flourishing.We have a very diverse student body. Recently our FFA in the bio tech program brought home every award offered in the competition(4/4). Our math team has domninated most functions, and the most recent school production of 'The Wiz' sold more tickets on opening night than anyother previous school production here.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

372 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

276 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

287 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

294 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

325 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 7%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (813) 233-3364

Staff resources available to students
  • Music teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options