No rating

Tampa Day School

Private | 2-8 | 145 students

Our school is known for serving students with mild learning differences.

Living in Tampa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted August 7, 2014

There are not enough words to describe this amazing school. My son came from Hillsborough County Schools where I was told he was below in reading. He was pass from grade to grade because he was not a problem child. He had an IEP and was on RTI. However, what he needed was not given. So desperately I took him to Tampa Day School. Within a year he showed growth that brought tears to my eyes. I refused to give up on my son! I am excited about this coming year. The smaller classrooms and having teachers trained to recognize where students are so they can develop a plan of action is what it took. The teachers want to be there, they don't complain, and the parents believe in them. The administration support the staff 100%. This is a safe, caring, learning environment that is stress free. Thank you Tampa Day School for all you do.

Posted April 21, 2014

TDS is outstanding! TDS has been a true blessing for our family! There is not a better school for kids with ADHD and mild learning disabilities.

Posted February 22, 2014

Tampa Day School has enabled my child to feel success for the first time in an academic setting! While in public school my son was squeaking by because he was "hard working" , but not making adequate learning gains. He exited second grade with a mid first grade reading and math level. Hardworking wasn't enough for him to make gains. After his third grade year at Tampa Day School he had two years of academic growth! The teachers and administration have created an environment that ensures academic success. Instruction is delivered in a unique way that increases student engagement. My son is now in 4th grade and I am so grateful I made the decision to move him to TDS. As a teacher in the public school system, I can truly say that Tampa Day School knows how to educate students that learn differently!

Posted February 19, 2014

I just recently changed my 4th grader from public school to Tampa Day School. The small class sizes and more individualized attention has been a God send for my daughter. She has moved from doing poorly on assignments and tests to an A/B student across the board. The teachers here give the students valuable resources for the student to solve a variety of problems. The teachers here are very caring but at the same time expect great things out of their students. I would recommend this school to anyone with a student that is struggling.

Posted February 19, 2014

TDS is an amazing school. My daughter was falling through the cracks in public and had to suffer through the RTI process just to have her "served" occasionally in the classroom. She was a year behind in reading and more than a year behind in math with a gifted verbal IQ score. It was horribly frustrating to see a child you know has the ability to achieve and isn't. Anxiety and organization were also a challenge to her. After two years she is now currently in 4th grade and is a year above in her reading and only half a year behind in math (these are National test scores, not just teacher grades). My husband and I are more than ecstatic with her progress. The small class size, focus on social skills, organizational skills and her ability to feel good about who she is and what she is capable of is has been a huge relief to us. The staff is dedicated, knowledgeable and flexible. My daughter has now formed bonds with other students that will last a lifetime and administration goes above and beyond to make sure my child's needs are met. Phenomenal.

Posted February 18, 2014

I am a parent of a first grade boy currently enrolled at TDS. Although my son was enrolled in another wonderful private school for kindergarten, it was disheartening to watch his self-esteem and self-confidence deteriorate as he struggled with fine motor tasks and had difficulty maintaining focus in the larger group. Upon enrollment at TDS, his teachers quickly figured out what he needed to experience success. Within the first week, he was excited about coming to school and even claimed he loved going to homework lab b/c he enjoyed doing his math work at school. His confidence returned and he was advanced to second grade classes in the first month. My son feels his teachers care about him and he is thriving as a result. I can't say enough about the excellent educational experience we have had and will be forever grateful to the faculty and staff at TDS for helping my child to see that he has incredible strengths and is able to succeed in school.

Posted November 6, 2013

My child has ADHD and all that goes along with it. He went from being shamed in public school, to growing and learning. His dyslexia has made reading a challenge, but with tutoring AND classroom support he is improving all that time. Understand Honor Accommodate, a motto at TDS, is something that not only was lacking but was non-existent at my local A rated school. How painful as a parent, to send your child to school everyday knowing he was not being respected as a human being, and his needs ignored. I can breathe again, and help my child grow and learn the skills he will need for the rest of his life. That said, the school is not the prefect fit for every child, or every parent. Of course! What school can be all things to all people??! I have multiple children and they are each unique and individual in their challenges and strengths. As a parent, it is my job to find the place where they can best grow and flourish. I have only one child who attends here, my others attend schools that are a good fit for them. We love, he loves it, and is upset when he misses school. What a change! Keep doing what you are doing staff!

Posted September 13, 2013

I have three children enrolled in Tampa Day School. This school has exceeded my expectations in all areas, and the kids love it as much as my husband and I do (a huge plus). I highly recommend this school!!!

Posted June 21, 2013

If you have a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD, please consider checking out TDS. My very intelligent, but very inattentive and forgetful daughter struggled to succeed in the public school system all the way through the 6th grade. I switched her to Tampa Day School a year ago, she just completed 7th grade there, and we have experienced an unbelievable difference in her schoolwork, her attitude toward school, and her general happiness. The administrators & teachers get to know EACH student's strengths and weaknesses, they care deeply about doing whatever it takes to help each child succeed and love learning.

Posted May 24, 2013

Tampa Day School is a waste of time. Don't mistake friendly people for actual academic success. They will tell you where your child lacks then send them to learning solutions for extra help for lots of $$$. Get ready to empty your pockets folks. This school is a business not a school for learning. I know 5 students parents that are leaving because their children are way behind academically now. The only parents that seem happy are the one that are oblivious to whats going on.

Posted August 18, 2012

Our child attended TDS for 3 years, and it was with real regret that we left. When our child first started at the school. he was two year behind in math, and barely on level in other areas. In 2 years he was above level in math, on level for all the rest. . The teachers in the 5th-8th grades did a fantastic job of helping him adjust to a new school, stronger academic standards, and more homework. I can't say enough positive about the school administration; the head of school always listened, and the male administrator was one of the best teacher-administrators I have met in a long time -- dedicated, caring, and in love with his chosen profession. Kudos, Mr. L! It is a great school for a child with mild to moderate ADD/ADHD or LD. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who can afford it, and wiling to commit your time and energy to being part of this great school. We commuted more than an hour and it was worth it. Kids come here from Pinellas, Pasco, Hillsborough, and other counties, making logisitics for playdates and hang-out time more difficult.

Posted May 31, 2012

There are so many things at TDS that I am thankful my son has the opportunity to enjoy. At the top of the list is the talented faculty and staff; their patience is of epic proportions! They truly honor the individual needs of students and respect that parents know their child the best. The environment at TDS has allowed my son to truly enjoy learning.

Posted May 23, 2012

Tampa Day School was the best thing to happen for my child. It is worth every penny of the tuition. My child was in a very bad depressed state attending an A rated MIddle School where none of the teachers and counselors would adapt to meet his 504 plan nor would they accept his executive functioning skills challenges. My child had checked out of school mentally and socially. This is a Duke TIP program child who was llunking 7th grade because of his ADD and Dysgraphia. All it took was a few meetings with Mrs. Delaney to know this was the perfect place for us. It took at least 4 months to see results.It was a painful transition but the school is so supportive. Everyone had to participate - parents, student and the school. This year in 8th grade my child excelled at everything. Grades and scores improved. My child was voted school Treasurer. When it came to manage high school decisions everyone spent a lot of time helping us. There were parent meetings, personal counseling and referral phone calls. My child was accepted into 4 honors magnet programs in Hillsborough Cty and an honors program at a private school. This child is now self confident and has the skills to succeed.

Posted May 21, 2012

Huge disappointment !!! Please take your money and children elsewhere. I feel this school did more damage then good. Luckily we got out while our child was still young and was able to catch up to peers in a true private school that is worth our tuition.

Posted January 21, 2012

I can agree more with the people in the last 2 reviews. The 2 reviews are totally right. Go somewhere else but not here. Tuition is also way over priced! The November 5 2008 is tottaly right also.

Posted April 29, 2010

I love Tampa Day School because they really get to know the students & the parents & then provide them with the individualized attention that they need. Staff is patient with everyone & provide education in a caring environment.

Posted April 7, 2010

The teachersa re very committed to your child's learning, and if you have a child with learning disabilities, I would highly recommend this school. Having said that, I would not recommend it for any child who doesn't need the extra support.

Posted September 16, 2009

TDS is an amazing school that every child could benifit from. With or without LD - all kids deserve to treated like the VIPs that they are. Small class size and dedicated teachers and administrators are 'Difference Makers'.

Posted June 1, 2009

My daughter started at TDS half way through the third grade. She is gifted, talented and also dyslexic. The teachers, admin., staff, student body, and fantastic parents at this school have made ALL the difference in the world. When I first met with Lois Delany (Head Master) I told her that I was out of bright ideas to help my child and that she and her school were perhaps our last hope. Her genuine concern for my child (who she had just met) was very comforting. Now at the end of the school term not only is my daughter actually reading but is convinced there is nothing she cannot do. She is a happy, well adjusted, self possessed young lady eager to learn! Their practice of addressing the whole child and their Learning Solutions program works wonders.

Posted April 23, 2009

This is school is fantastic for kids with serious ADHD or LD, and a great stepping stone for kids with mild ADHD/LD. The onsite psychologist and other well-trained staff helped us sort through medicine issues in the beginning. Then they have helped with our son's social skills. However, so many of the kids have LD that the curriculum does move a bit slower than regular. But if that's all your kid can handle, then this is the perfect place for them to help them continue enjoying learning academics and social skills. The staff go way beyond just teaching from the books. They teach life skills and the kids never feel like something is wrong with them. This school celebrates differences. However, if you're super concerned about academics, then this is not the place for you. It might be the right place for your kid, but not you!

Asian 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Leader in our AEG Corporate Div. for most academic growth. (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Movers for Mom's (2014)

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

School start time
  • 8:25 am
School end time
  • 3:05 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Lois Delaney
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • FCIS
Fax number
  • (813) 963-7843

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Brain-based instructional approach
  • College prep
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Kathy Littlefield, SLP

• Improv
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Game club
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Legos
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Sewing/knitting club
  • Soccer
  • Student council/government
  • Technology club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve as Mystery Readers
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

2 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
210
Students typically come from these schools
Private Schools

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
McKay Scholarship

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Variety of private prep schools
Public schools, including magnets/charters
Other local and out-of-state schools

12606 Henderson Road