Posted August 20, 2014
Turner/ Bartel's merger has been a nightmare for parents. First the timing to drop kids couldn't be the worst timing. Second of all, there is 2 campus and nobody knows anything about the new rules and policies. My wife had to wait about an hour in line for each campus to pick up our 2 daughters ( one is in elementary- Turner and the other at Bartels). There is no way they can take my oldest daughter to Turner's campus to ride the bus with my kindergarten daughter. 4th and 5th grade are at the Bartels campus with the middle school kids, therefore their lunch times are very early about 10:30 am and dismissal is at 3:30, so if your kid lunches that early by the time he/she gets out of school is starving. Third the dismissal time is a nightmare, if you have to pick up your kid, prepare to be there an hour before or run a chance to be in line for an hour or so, not counting if you have kids at both campuses; it's even worse. I regret the day I sing up for this nightmare school. I wont recommend this school for anyone that lives around new tampa area and lives in hillsborough county.

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter is in 2nd grade. Turner is very organized with a great principal Ms McMahon so though it is a large school,I feel my daughter gets a lot of personal attention. The teachers my daughter has had are passionate and well educated with no shortage of great ideas. My daughter has a 504 plan and is a challenge to teach at times. The support staff and teachers are friendly and seem happy to be there. Rules are followed here and I feel my daughter is safe. In the past the guidance department has been weak and the PTA is not very visible but their are plenty of clubs and school activities going on and you will meet a lot of teachers this way. Please be aware this school is slated to become a k-8 school and I am not happy about this because turner is so well run and I have other concerns.

Turner Elementary School 2

Posted February 03, 2014
My family has been part of Turner since it's inception. The teachers and Principals have been fantastic. However, one stat tells you everything you need to know: 1056 students. The staff is doing the best they can given the hand they're dealt. Turner ran out of room for the 5th graders three years ago and starting in the 2014-15 school year they're out of room for the 4th graders. Both 4th and 5th grade will be housed in Bartels Middle School (see reviews for Bartels). How long before there's no room for the 3rd graders? We live walking distance from Turner but unfortunately will have to look for an alternative for my current 3rd grader.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school has really gone down hill since the original principle left. My child was having great difficulty with his reading. I did a lot of research and kept suggesting that his was dyslexic. The teachers and staff told us in a nice way that we didn't know what we were talking about and swapped his teachers and a couple of other things to make it look like they were doing something. Needless to say my child's reading did not improve. We had him tested and yes he was dyslexic and had an above average IQ. Needless to say, we home school now. Use your school choice or homeschool. Stay away from Turner if you possible can.

Posted September 09, 2013
My daughter came from a private school for pre-K and was already reading before she got to Turner and my concern when entering K was that she would be kept back to meet the level of the students who may not have been as advanced as her...Complete opposite!! Mrs. Zabatta was her K teacher and awesome in regards to acknowledging her students abilities and grouping them so that no one was left behind or pushed backwards. My daughter is now in Mrs. Delgado's class and is in the Accelerated Readers program and loves school. Teacher are great!! School is always patroled by an officer and kids are always kept safe!!

Turner Elementary School 2

Posted August 30, 2013
I really wish that I could give a favorable review of Turner. The stars just don't do my viewpoint justice. My daughter began at Turner after completing a VPK program; her mom and I agreed that Turner would be the best fit. Unfortunately, it soon became glaringly apparent that the K program was geared for kids who couldn't read, not for a girl who read at a very high level. She encountered many difficulties, including bullying, hostility from other students, and insensitive, unresponsive teachers. The principal repeatedly intervened, and to her credit did make some small difference. The same principal put our daughter with a specific teacher for first grade, and things did improve somewhat. But, second grade was an unmitigated disaster. By now she was reading at a fifth grade level, but was labelled a troublemaker early on and repeatedly ignored save for derogatory criticism and disciplinary action. The only lesson she learned was that she hated school. The principal was the only one who sympathized with us through it all, and is the only reason Turner gets two stars. Though my girl is now in private school, the damage remains.

Turner Elementary School 4

Posted June 03, 2013
This school is fantastic. The leadership is committed, caring, and forward-thinking. This is not the school for you if you are a parent who does not want to be involved - there is school info that comes home almost every night, and the programming is incredible. The teachers and staff are unbelieveably dedicated. The overcrowding (not the school's fault). is the only problem, and it's a big one for 4th and 5th grade.

Posted June 02, 2013
One very important thing should be pointed out here. Because of overcrowding and the district's unwillingness to rezone, both 4th and 5th grade students do not attend Turner! That's right they do not attend Turner, they attend Bartel's MIddle School. THis is a huge issue as they are exposed at a very young age to fighting, drugs, cigarettes, etc. The school (Turner) claims that they are segregated, however this is not true. Additionally even if they were properly segregated, it goes against the idea's of school involvement and interactions with the younger students in Turner. I would not suggest this school until the district gets their act together and rezones appropriately.

Posted January 24, 2013
Overall Rating: A+ I am extremely pleased with Turner Elementary from every angle. First and foremost, they have created a learning enviroment that my daughter loves to attend. She is earger to learn & do better. This school encourages parent involment and parents love to get involved! What a beautiful mix! Next, Turner is always putting out information & giving informative parent night mini seminars. I just happened to come from a FCAT 2.0 Parents Night. It was very insight. I appreciate a school who takes the time to thoroughly inform the parents of whats is going on. There are so many good things from the extremely amazing music teacher (I love love love the children's music performaces each year. It always seems so darn cute with a little bit of wit thrown into them to make them even more charming and memorable.) So much good stuff. I can't say enough. If your child goes here, you won't go wrong. They will get an excellent education & they will have a caring staff encouraging your child along the way.

Turner Elementary School 3

Posted September 21, 2012
One thing I feel should be mentioned about Turner Elementary is that fact that there are way too many students attending this school. The area around it has grown much faster than anticipated and the influx is overwhelming. Many parents, including us, opted to pull thier children out at the end of the 11-12 school year, for other schools e.g. charter, magnet & private schools, but the problem remains. The school itself, is not very old, 5-6 years, but the fact that there are so many students makes it easy for under performing children to fall through the cracks. We opted to leave at the end of the year and our children are now attening a magnet school. We truely, were not impressed with Turner Elementary.

Turner Elementary School
9190 Imperial Oak Boulevard, Tampa, FL  33647
Last modified Turner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Turner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews.