Tampa, FL
Students enrolled: 1,124

Posted June 15, 2015
When it was just Turner the school was ok. After the merger with Bartels it became a parents worst nightmare. My daughter was in the third grade and was moved to Bartels middle school. They had so many students that her lunch time was 10:25 am and 10:05 in early release days! School didn't even start until 8:45 and she was starving by the time she got home. Within the first few weeks of school her teacher left and was replaced by a new teacher. She was very inexperienced and this was her first class. My daughter was having trouble with reading and spelling and I was told it didn't matter because of spell check! I requested that she be tested for dyslexia twice, her doctor even wrote a formal request, but nothing. I was told at first she was going to be retained for her reading, then one week later I was told they were promoting her, then another week later she received a "B" in her report card for reading! All that aside, she failed the reading portion of the FCAT and is now in summer reading camp! It is apparent that nobody knows what they are doing and they only promoted my daughter because I was in constant contact with the assistant principal (not the teacher. She never returned emails) I had to latch on like a pit bull and wouldn't let up for something to be done. In the end they really don't care about the students only their numbers. If they did they would of given my daughter the help she needed to benefit her. Instead by passing her she will now be accountable at a fourth grade standard where she clearly is not. I'm looking for another school... It's sad because I moved to new Tampa because of the "A" assigned schools. If you can utilize your school choice option or attend a private school! Beware.....

Turner Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 15, 2015
My daughter was always being bullied at school. When she would bring it to her teachers attention her teacher would often say to my daughter that she did not believe her. I guess this happened a lot. According to Bay News there was no reports of bullying that took place within the classroom. As a parent I knew different. I have dried many tears of my daughters. It got so bad that one of my daughters classmates tried to hang herself on the flagpole because kids were bullying her! They are only eight years old! Instead of using this incident as a learning tool, which is what I did, the school kept this hush hush and swept it under the rug! What happened to their "zero tolerance" policy on bulling? Oh right, if they addressed the issue the might be admitting they have ineffective, poorly trained, uneducated teachers!

Posted February 22, 2015
I wrote the review below about my daughter in 2nd grade and previously gave the school 5 stars when it was an elementary school. I unfortunately must give it 2 stars and that is because of the teachers. It is very large now being k-8 and the focus seems to be on the middle school. Parent are not as welcome and all the wonderful reading nights and book fairs and movie pajama nights have gone out the window. That was part of what made the elementary school so personal before. I guess turning around the middle school is a big job but I think its also a more distant administration . There are a lot more behavior issues this year--fights at the school. on buses, etc. It is quite possible things will get better as this is a transition year but I am looking for another school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 20, 2014
Turner/ Bartel's merger has been a nightmare for parents. First the timing to drop kids couldn't be the worst timing. Second of all, there is 2 campus and nobody knows anything about the new rules and policies. My wife had to wait about an hour in line for each campus to pick up our 2 daughters ( one is in elementary- Turner and the other at Bartels). There is no way they can take my oldest daughter to Turner's campus to ride the bus with my kindergarten daughter. 4th and 5th grade are at the Bartels campus with the middle school kids, therefore their lunch times are very early about 10:30 am and dismissal is at 3:30, so if your kid lunches that early by the time he/she gets out of school is starving. Third the dismissal time is a nightmare, if you have to pick up your kid, prepare to be there an hour before or run a chance to be in line for an hour or so, not counting if you have kids at both campuses; it's even worse. I regret the day I sing up for this nightmare school. I wont recommend this school for anyone that lives around new tampa area and lives in hillsborough county.

Turner Elementary School 5

Posted April 06, 2014
My daughter is in 2nd grade. Turner is very organized with a great principal Ms McMahon so though it is a large school,I feel my daughter gets a lot of personal attention. The teachers my daughter has had are passionate and well educated with no shortage of great ideas. My daughter has a 504 plan and is a challenge to teach at times. The support staff and teachers are friendly and seem happy to be there. Rules are followed here and I feel my daughter is safe. In the past the guidance department has been weak and the PTA is not very visible but their are plenty of clubs and school activities going on and you will meet a lot of teachers this way. Please be aware this school is slated to become a k-8 school and I am not happy about this because turner is so well run and I have other concerns.

Posted February 03, 2014
My family has been part of Turner since it's inception. The teachers and Principals have been fantastic. However, one stat tells you everything you need to know: 1056 students. The staff is doing the best they can given the hand they're dealt. Turner ran out of room for the 5th graders three years ago and starting in the 2014-15 school year they're out of room for the 4th graders. Both 4th and 5th grade will be housed in Bartels Middle School (see reviews for Bartels). How long before there's no room for the 3rd graders? We live walking distance from Turner but unfortunately will have to look for an alternative for my current 3rd grader.

Posted October 24, 2013
This school has really gone down hill since the original principle left. My child was having great difficulty with his reading. I did a lot of research and kept suggesting that his was dyslexic. The teachers and staff told us in a nice way that we didn't know what we were talking about and swapped his teachers and a couple of other things to make it look like they were doing something. Needless to say my child's reading did not improve. We had him tested and yes he was dyslexic and had an above average IQ. Needless to say, we home school now. Use your school choice or homeschool. Stay away from Turner if you possible can.

Turner Elementary School 5

Posted September 09, 2013
My daughter came from a private school for pre-K and was already reading before she got to Turner and my concern when entering K was that she would be kept back to meet the level of the students who may not have been as advanced as her...Complete opposite!! Mrs. Zabatta was her K teacher and awesome in regards to acknowledging her students abilities and grouping them so that no one was left behind or pushed backwards. My daughter is now in Mrs. Delgado's class and is in the Accelerated Readers program and loves school. Teacher are great!! School is always patroled by an officer and kids are always kept safe!!

Posted August 30, 2013
I really wish that I could give a favorable review of Turner. The stars just don't do my viewpoint justice. My daughter began at Turner after completing a VPK program; her mom and I agreed that Turner would be the best fit. Unfortunately, it soon became glaringly apparent that the K program was geared for kids who couldn't read, not for a girl who read at a very high level. She encountered many difficulties, including bullying, hostility from other students, and insensitive, unresponsive teachers. The principal repeatedly intervened, and to her credit did make some small difference. The same principal put our daughter with a specific teacher for first grade, and things did improve somewhat. But, second grade was an unmitigated disaster. By now she was reading at a fifth grade level, but was labelled a troublemaker early on and repeatedly ignored save for derogatory criticism and disciplinary action. The only lesson she learned was that she hated school. The principal was the only one who sympathized with us through it all, and is the only reason Turner gets two stars. Though my girl is now in private school, the damage remains.

Turner Elementary School 4

Posted June 03, 2013
This school is fantastic. The leadership is committed, caring, and forward-thinking. This is not the school for you if you are a parent who does not want to be involved - there is school info that comes home almost every night, and the programming is incredible. The teachers and staff are unbelieveably dedicated. The overcrowding (not the school's fault). is the only problem, and it's a big one for 4th and 5th grade.

Turner Elementary School
9190 Imperial Oak Boulevard, Tampa, FL  33647
Last modified Turner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Turner Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top