Literacy/Leadership/Technology Academy

Charter | K-8 | 550 students

A multi-award-winning Charter school based on character and student achievement.

Posted July 21, 2014

LLT Academy is a great school and offers so many opportunities to their students!! They really do strive to make every student succeed! The only thing that is currently bothering me is their new uniform policy which consists of either a black or red LLT polo with khaki shorts. I had to spend OVER $100 for my son's uniform, the polos are way too big and uncomfortable because you are buying them from a store that specializes in sports wear...... Not actual school clothes. I already have to spend a lot of my money getting my children into the school so I don't want to spend even more on an uncomfortable uniform.

Posted June 19, 2014

My son and daughter both attended LLT Academy from 6th grade to 8th grade, a year apart from each other. Both my children enjoyed LLT Academy. The teachers always made it fun to learn (including tutoring), the staff was always helpful and would take time to listen to parents and students, there were plenty of opportunities to volunteer at the school, my children enjoyed the electives including CAD and wood shop, and especially 8th grade graduation. My son is going into the 10th grade and taking honors classes and my daughter just graduated 8th grade as the Salutatorian of her class.Thank you teachers, admin, and staff at LLT Academy for providing a higher education for my children and preparing them for high school. p.s. I volunteered so much I was elected in as the PTSO president for 2 years.

Posted June 19, 2014

Truly Literacy/Leadership/Technology Academy has lived up to its name and far surpassed our exceptions when we enrolled our granddaughter in grade six as a middle school student three years ago. Mrs. Logan the principal is a very strong leader, she holds the administration, staff and students to a very high standard in academics, leadership, character and taking responsibility for themselves, school property and respect for themselves and others. The communication methods employed by LLT Academy are outstanding, and you always know ahead of time what is going on so that you can prepare your child for the day, week, month and quarter. We highly recommend LLT Academy to any parent who is willing to partner with a wonderful school to prepare their child for the future, with technology and also to learn the skills necessary to deal with challenges of life as a whole.

Posted June 16, 2014

My daughter just finished 3 wonderful years at LLT Academy (6-8th). In LLT we found the size and experience of a private school, but without the price tag! The teachers are caring and understanding, and everybody knows the kids names-it feels like a family. The teachers make learning fun and go above and beyond to help the kids to understand the subjects (even offer tutoring if needed). The electives and after school sports offered are plentiful. I know LLT has helped my daughter be ready for high school not only academically, but with the character and leadership skills needed. I highly recommend this school...too bad they don't have a high school!

Posted June 11, 2014

My daughter went to LLT Academy from 6th through 8th grade. I would highly recommend this school. She had a wonderful experience. How many middle school students would say that or cry at graduation because of the experience they had during middle school! When I say experience I mean; overall academic achievements, outstanding teachers and staff, great student body, and various activities that brought her new learning's. LLT strives to make the academic experience positive for each student and places the child at the proper level. The teachers are very committed and enjoy teaching and with that they teach in a way that makes it fun to learn hard subjects. They form positive impactful relationships with their students. The staff provides personalization and will know your family after only a couple of meetings. They are always willing to help and listen to your needs. LLT offers a variety of activities that will broaden your child's growth and learning. And with how they organize their electives, the kids could experience all of them. Lastly, the student body that is formed because of how the school is ran is amazing. The students become family who support each other.

Posted June 10, 2014

I have had 3 children attend LLT. My two oldest are now enrolled in Collegiate Academy programs. My 10th grader took the PERT test to determine academic readiness for dual enrollment courses and he scored a perfect 150 out of 150 on the Math portion. His math teachers at LLT were amazing! My daughter is now going into 6th grade and we are thrilled to have her at LLT, too. The school requires uniforms which I think limits bullying issues. Overall I have been extremely pleased with the academics, the communication, and the focus on leadership and character.

Posted April 29, 2014

Thank you LLT academy! Our daughters were incredibly prepared for High School thanks to you. They went from LLT's approximately 300 kid campus last year to a campus of 2500, with a freshman class of around 700 at Kingwood High School in TX! A 6A school, rated at a 9! One daughter just won the academic achievement award for Spanish 2 and her twin sister won the academic achievement award for Biology! The teachers really care about the kids and their success academically. They learn responsibility and gain a sense of independence and we really appreciate the moral compass that guides all they do at LLT. LLT Academy did an amazing job preparing our daughters for High School.

Posted April 9, 2014

My child has attended LLT for 2 years. Our family has been very pleased with the school and administration. The teachers care about the character of the students and their academic progress. There are many opportunities for the students to be involved if they choose to do so. Thank you for still caring about our kids. And a shout out to the ladies in the office....you are awesome! Thank you to the administration for still having integrity and teaching our kids how important it is.

Posted March 27, 2014

Do NOT send your child here. It's horrible. There are a few good teachers but overall the staff is very rude. I know my child is no angel but certain teachers clearly play favorites to the point that it's so obvious. Communication is a joke. You find out once a week about any issues your child might be having. They have them write "checks" for every infraction from not having a pencil to getting up to throw something away. My child is so discouraged. When I pull up to pick up my kids they tell me how they were yelled at. It's not a school, it's a prison. I won't be sending my little one there. In fact, I wouldn't send a dog there to be trained.

Posted February 12, 2014

LLT is amazing! I have three children attending this year, grades 8, 4, and 3. My 8th grader was not doing well in his assigned middle school his 7th grade year so we looked into LLT. The school itself isn't much to look at. The older buildings and portables are not pretty, but we liked the smaller environment and the education my kids are getting there is much more important to me. The sports program is fantastic, offering more sports than most regular public schools, and offering them to the older elementary students as well as the middle schoolers. Also, the middle schoolers have six electives. Five on Mondays (dedicated solely to electives) and one on regular school days (Tuesday - Friday). All of my kids are doing well and loving school. The bottom line is this: If you are looking for a school with a brand new state-of-the art building, a huge gym, and a sprawling soccer field, this may not be the school for you. However, if you are looking for a place where your kids will get an excellent education, with teachers and administrators so familiar with you and your children that they feel like family, this is it!

Posted November 13, 2013

I think the faculty are the ones who impersonate parents to give this school a good rating!! I'm a parent and I am 100% not impressed with the administration and those non teachers who run the school. The focus is money, period!! That's why they cram all the students into such a small space and don't welcome parent involvement!! Sneaky and underhanded it what's behind the administration and the board, not the students or academics!!!

Posted March 8, 2012

What a fantastic school! Great electives, after school activities and fun! Communication could be better between the school and parents, but my daughter is LOVING going to school. How many kids going to middle school say that? They really care about the students and it shows!

Posted June 27, 2011

Dear Ms. Logan, I want to thank you and your staff for the wonderful education you provided for my son Joe. He has received the best tutelage possible. If it was not for your school he would have been forced to go to an inferior school. We have been through this with him before and also seen the difference when we took him out and put him in a better school. The difference is night and day. If you need any recommendations from me or my wife, we would be glad to oblige. God bless you and your staff. -Joe and Patti

Posted June 21, 2011

My grandson Cameron , who lives with me has just completed three great years at LLT Academy. He graduated on June 8th 2011. Its hard to express what a wonderful experience Cameron had while attending LLT Academy . He has matured and developed in so many ways during this time. The teachers at LLT have been understanding and have devoted so much to this developmental period of Cameron s life. I would also like to commend the administration for selecting this staff and being so supportive of them. I doubt that Cameron will ever have another school experience like this. The everyday guidance and caring has made a lasting impression on both of us.

Posted June 21, 2011

A safe, small, caring environment where students thrive. I have had three children attend 6-8th grades at LLT Academy and we LOVED our middle school experience. Our children were challenged academically and they grew in character. The teachers are amazing and truly care about the students. Several teachers offered free tutoring. We love LLT and are thankful for the entire staff and how they invested in our children.

Posted June 9, 2011

DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL, especially if your child needs any type of individualized education or has any medical needs. Our experience sending our child here has been horrific at best. They have a "private school" mindset when it comes to accommodating any physical or developmental disabilities, while they are a fully public charter school. There are some great teachers and staff here, but the administration changed this year, and the school has gone downhill since. We will not be returning, or sending our other child here; we hate to think of any other child going through what ours has, this year. Either the board needs to hire new administrators, or this school needs to lose their charter--that's how bad it is. We hope they will make some drastic changes to get back on track.

Posted April 6, 2011

My daughter attended LLT For 6th, 7th and 8th grades. She had three banner years and was awarded LLT's Leadership award in 8th grade. She is now at a district high school where she is one of 69 students out of over 2,000 students to receive straight 'A's in both academics and conduct. She was also one out of two students to receive the highest grade on a 9th grade essay writing test. The other student who received the highest grade also went to LLT for 6th, 7th and 8th grades. LLT prepares students not only with excellent character, but also academically. Five stars for LLT!!!

Posted March 24, 2011

My son left the Redlands at 5 years old ,not able to even say mom or Dad.Today I was told he was 1 of only 3 kids to obtain a perfect score in reading.LLT Acadamy is a great school.Thank you to all teachers.You deserve the best.

Posted March 24, 2011

We were psyched about this school last year but now that we are in...we are questioning our decision. Communication between parents and teachers is horrible and the principal seems to have no idea what is going on with the students. The only communication we get right away has to do with money and fundraising. We are not sure that our child has been prepared for FCAT at all. If we need to talk to a teacher about trouble our son is having, it seems like they don't want to hear it or want to point the finger somewhere else.

Posted March 21, 2011

I rated this school last year and gave it 5 stars- now only 2... that reflects clearly upon how rapidly conditions have declined. Our child went to this school for 2 years and loved the first one. Unfortunately, the principle, Mr. Miller, had a family emergency and had to leave the state. Following that change in administration, the school has been in a tail-spin.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 10%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Speech and language therapist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Florida Standards School of Excellence (2014)
  • SACS Accreditation (2011)
  • FL DOE High Performing Charter School (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Hillsborough County Five Star School (2014)
  • Golden School (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. Sharla Austin
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • kprenatt@lltacademy.com
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Honors track
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Lunchroom and Media Center
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom