Bartels Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 846 students

Posted January 18, 2014

BARTELS is the best middle school ever!And I'm a student and to me I made the best of friends and their teachers super nice and give us homework but it's usually really easy and I'm an honor roll student so yeah...there's just like one or two problems to me and that's the gym I just don't like how there are like games that the students don't give any sportsmanship unless the coach tells u and the other problem is the uniform policy,I understand the good side about it but there honestly very ugly and the students don't get to express our selfs and we can't be different and I totally understand that some of the students dress very in mature but just take that into note and by the way I'm in 6th grade

Posted August 24, 2013

June 6th comment: First of all it is by far your place to comment about how parents are expressing their concern about their children! IF YOUR read correctly these parents were complaining their children were suspended BUT OBVIOUSLY with out you knowing the story and your "ARE YOU KIDDING ME " comment NO IM NOT KIDDING YOU BEACUSE MY SON WA SUSPENDED FOR SOMETHING HE DID "NOT" do ! That I why I obviously contacted the school board and went up to the school to speak to them and they let him back so thank you for writing your rude comment I'm a proud parent and come from a great neighborhood as my child is not being bused in and I'm HIGHLY INVOLVED in my child's education as I took him out of battles as it is down at the bottom but I pay very high taxes to deal with that such a real shame!!

Posted August 23, 2013

Don't send your child here. They are very racist with hispanics and blacks. It's like you have to be white to be accepted.

Posted August 6, 2013

Dedicated teachers, administrators, and support personnel fill the ranks of one of Hillsborough county's finest middle schools. The school has taken a new more positive direction requiring uniforms this year which will minimize conflicts between students and improve morale. Dr. Binder exemplifies professionalism and demands the same from his staff and students. A small percentage of parents or guardians are responsible for most problems. They blame everyone but themselves for discipline issues that occur and undermine progress. Most of the kids are great and will do well as they transition from middle to high schools. I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 2, 2013

If you genuinely care about your child, you would think twice about sending them to Bartels. I ask my child every night what they learned at school today. My child usually responds and gives me brief summaries of each class except her science class. I am aware that her science teacher was previously charged. She comes home saying that all her science teacher does is give her student bellwork and they work on it for the entire period. Her science teacher complains about her other classes to her students and even asks them to perform unnecessary tasks like fetching her a bottle of water. My daughter is in sixth grade, going on to seventh and she is very displeased with the new uniform policy. She spent her whole grade school experience wearing uniform. She gets one year to wear any shirt she wants and then she can't again. I know uniforms block potential bullying, but if the school was actually capable of solving bully problems, you wouldn't have to worry. I have complained to the school multiple times about my daughter getting called names and nothing changed.

Posted July 25, 2013

Dismal at best. The behavior of some of the students is disgusting. My child went to this school one year (6th) and we were done. The administration is a joke for the most part. Parents, this is not your only option-look into school choice (even out of county) and virtual school. I cannot believe I moved into a decent area to have to deal with this.

Posted July 22, 2013

My daughter has just finished 6th grade at Bartels. Can't say that I'm very impressed at all. I went down to that school at least 4 times last year due to problems with rotten, foul mouth kids saying and doing things to my daughter. Also there was one teacher who made it her mission to embarrass kids in her class. They let kids attend the school that come from bad neighborhoods and there lies the problem. But we're stuck. She'll have to go there again this year too. I just hope the administration gets a grip on handling situations better, or they'll be seeing me again!

Posted June 14, 2013

My daughter and I are both disappointed in this school. She will likely enroll in virtual school next year as a result. She was so excited to start 6th grade at Bartels and fortunately has made some wonderful friends there but like other parents have noted, the overall social and academic experience is poor. I recognize that every school has challenges with the behavior of some kids and capability of some teachers, however Bartels and its management of poor behavior on both fronts have been disappointing at best. I agree with the parent that many of the teachers do not teach ~ they assign classwork, reading from texts and homework but do not expect interesting project assignments, interactive class activities or engaged teachers. With the exception of a couple, I have experienced very negative or patronizing interactions with the administration and teachers. I cannot help but think that if my daughter who is a high honors student with parents who wish to be engaged with the school is treated so poorly, how on earth are other kids facing the unresolved social and academic challenges at this school being treated?

Posted June 6, 2013

This school is horrible! The administration in the front office are pathetic. Almost all the teachers need FIRED. They are lazy and do not care about the students one bit! My child is an honor roll student but is drowning in all the bullying, drama, fighting and unruliness this school offers. AVOID at all costs. Do magnet, charter or virtual school for your child. Do not send them here! Also to the parents who are complaining about your kids getting suspended...Are you kidding me? Obviously they are being suspended for a reason. You point your fingers at the school but four more fingers are pointing back at YOU as the PARENT!

Posted March 26, 2013

This school is vile!! My son was a straight A student before entering the 6th grade. He hates going to school and is failing 3 classes. The teachers DO NOT help!! They give the students bellwork and classwork but they do not teach. If you can avoid it, please do not send your child here!!

Posted February 5, 2013

TTO THE PARENT THAT JUST RECENTLY POSTED ON JAN OF THIS YEAR. I ABSOLUTELY AGREE WIYH YOU. I'VE BEEN HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS SCHOOL ABOUT MY DAUGHTER. I HAVE CALLED THE SCHOOL BOARD 3 TIMES TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BEHAVIORS OF THE (PRINCIPLES). JUST RECENTLY GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE SUPERINTENDENT FOR THIS SCHOOL. DR. PATTERSON IS VERY UNPROFFESIONAL AND GOSSIPS TO OTHER PARENTS ABOUT OTHER CHILDREN, SHE SHOWS FAVORTISM AND SUSPENDS CHILDREN BASEF ON HERESAY. WHEN YOU CALL DR. BINDER TO DISCUSS CONCERNS ABOUT THINGS THAT ARE GOING ON AT THE SCHOOL HE ACTS AS IF HE HAS NO IDEAL OF WHAT'S GOING ON WHEN HE CLEARLY DOES! THEY DON'T PROVIDE SAFETY FOR YOUR CHILDREN, THEY ALLOW FIGHTS TO GO ON,AND THE TEACHERS CURSE IN THE CLASSROOMS. HOW PROFESSIONAL IS THAT?! I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS SCHOOL AND SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE REAL SOON!

Posted August 28, 2012

I am very unimpressed with this school so far. The admisistrative staff acts like you are bothering them when you come in the office. They are unfriendly, unorganized, and inconsistant on what they tell you. They hardly ever answer the phones and if you leave a message no one call you back. Including the Principal.They really need to address this.

Posted June 23, 2012

Am I the only parent that cringes reading the "student reviews" on here? This school is failing its students if that is the best grammar, sentence structure and punctuation they can muster. Our oldest daughter attends this school and we were not impressed for the majority of the year. They brought in new administration. I have high hopes Dr. Binder can turn this school around. I like that they are seriously considering mandatory uniforms. I think this school is below average at the moment but has potential to be great!

Posted March 30, 2012

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT send your child to Bartells if you want him to succeed. After three years observing the way the school operates I believe that in terms of education, discipline and principal lack of leadership the school does more harm than good to your child. Find an alternative even if you have to drive more or move....

Posted May 11, 2011

Not impressed with this school at all. From the administrative staff to the teachers. It's unfortunate because I had high hopes given the fact that it's in my neighborhood. My husband and I are always involved and responsive with his teachers but they are inconsistant and I think most of them have forgotten what it's like to be a kid. I've given it two years before making this observation. I am limited here in the number of characters I can use so I can't explain in the depth that I would like to. If you can avoid this school and have other options I would say take the other option!

Posted August 23, 2010

I like bartels because of the people there but , the adminstration is wayy to strict . i dont know whether its because of the parents of student who attend that school but , the are uptight about certain thing that should even be a problem . most of the teachers are amazing ! & they did help me ! i juss dont agree with the new adminstration and they dont agree with the students . they dont take our thoughts or feelings into consideration . even thought there might be someone of greater and higher power like parents or the school board , we should at least be considered . if its the school we attend , why should we feel comfortable attending it ?

Posted February 15, 2010

I am currently going to Bartels Middle school and I love it! There is great teachers and the principle is very nice. I love the fact that the school is spread out and not all clumped together!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 9, 2010

The school is great and has been ever since my son was in 6th grade. He is now in 8th and a new administration has come in. Unfortunately, I've noticed a huge difference between this year and last. Different rules, focus, and an overall different feel. I understand the changes with new administration, but hope these changes don't negatively impact a school that didn't need any changes.

Posted September 14, 2009

I love this school , I like most of the teachers. and the ones that he has now are great.

Posted August 26, 2009

Well I am in Seventh Grade, and I am pretty sure most Middle Schools are like this. But I am happy with it.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

266 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

260 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

250 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

249 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

284 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

284 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

282 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

286 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

253 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

163 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 3%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school