435 students|Monroe

Bad
Good

PKS has an outstanding new principal and most of the old issues have been effectively addressed. Both of my children have attended here and have done exceptionally well in school and on national standardized tests compared to the rest of the country. They are properly prepared for high school success and feel confident and ready to go.

PKS is an amazing school. It is public, yet you will soon realize that this school doesn't feel public at all. It is small, parents are involved, and the community really helps support this school and their staff. Your child won't just be a number here--you can guarantee that they will receive plenty of one-on-one attention and a great education.

I am Hispanic and I had not seen any discrimination. I am very involved with school. I volunteer every week sometimes twice a week. This school is the best public school. Teachers are great with lots of experience. The school is old but I preferred my kids to get a great education in an old school than to have a new school with cheap and no experience teachers. I have yet to see a bug. I love this school and I would strongly recommend this school.

Glad it's over....I am so happy we were able to leave this school. The faculty and staff ignore state and federal laws while the parents (many of whom grow up in the area)do nothing about it. They are their own breed of red neck. Having never seen the world they set lower standards for the school. It could be a great school but needs major attitude changes. Good Luck, you need it!

Is our school old? Yes. Is it falling apart? Sometimes. The district maintenance staff does their best on a tiny budget. I clean my classroom daily so that the students will learn in a bright, clean environment. I just received an e-mail from a Coral Shores teacher saying this was the best group of kids we have sent them yet. They are up to speed and ready to move forward. The teachers are doing their best to make sure our students won't suffer due to budget cuts and the dismal outlook for the future. I am happy to say that I work with an extremely dedicated group of educators. I see nothing but giving: giving of time, giving of money, and giving of themselves. The only area would say our school is lacking is strong discipline. The teachers don't have a lot of support from the office in this area due to their being only one principal and no assistant principal. Would I send my child to this school? Absolutely.

I want to respond to June 17. Number 1, the campus is not kept up; the school is the oldest in Monroe County (35 yr) and the District is not interested in replacing anything that goes wrong, instead it is fixed as best as it can be, and then something else goes wrong, and so on and so on. Number 2, there is a problem with bugs; the school is in South Fl.! It's a big campus, with lots of windows and doors, the air is kept off in the summer and on weekends and food is prevelant. A recipee for disaster; dark, hot , food. Number 3, the "Absurd" FCAT pep rallies are actually the "A+ Celebration" given for the entire school to congratulate the kids on doing there best on the test. It also gives the cheerleaders, band and GLEE Club a chance to perform for the student body. Are you saying it's "Absurd" to allow the kids a chance to all come together and celebrate themselves? Number four, I believe your child is exagerating on how many bugs he/she has killed. I haven't heard of a student actually killing a bug. Also, there are exterminators that come out bi-weekly (or when we need them any time inbetween) to treat the school and affected areas, what else would you suggest the school do?

I am a student and if I didn't have friends at this school, you'd see skid marks on the road.

Outstanding test scores only tell a fraction of the success story at Plantation Key School. Everyday you can observe the parents, grandparents and friends of PKS in the classrooms and support ing all school activities. The highly qualified, experienced teachers give their personal time (and money) for afterschool tutoring, sports and clubs. The parents, students, teachers and administrators at PKS prove everyday that student success has everything to do with caring about each other and nothing to do with the age of building or the current economy.

This school has issues, as every school does. The building is old and due to budget cuts, not the cleanest. One thing I can say, though, is that the teachers are extremely hard working. I read a review about the teachers being lazy, and this is just not the case. These people do not understand the hard work, long hours, and emotional output that goes into being a teacher. I have found the staff to be professional and willing to do anything to help the kids to succeed.

Having been in education for 32 years and experienced various schools throughout the south Florida area, I can say that Plantation Key School is one of the finest. The students, parents and community are involved and supportive. The teachers and staff are hard working and dedicated. Students experience hands-on activities, rigorous curriculum and project based learning on a regular basis. Bullying at Plantation Key is addressed in a timely manner. Sometimes independent and direct witnesses are interviewed and their stories are totally opposite. This makes identifying the truth difficult. Plantation Key School is awesome!

Last modified Plantation Key School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.