1,892 students|Pasco

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I attended J.W. Mitchell for my senior year. The school is viewed by outsiders as the best public high school in the area, which is very concerning. The school has very poor academics, lots of drug use, a lack of professionalism among the teachers, constant use of cell phones and social media during class, very disrespectful students. Students take inappropriate photos and videos during class, without reprimand from staff, teachers can even be seen encouraging this behavior. There is no supervision, making it easy for students to walk out of class and drive off campus. If your child is serious about their education, do not send them to this school. The desire to further your education is not promoted. I was scoffed at and dismissed whenever I expressed an interest in college or sought assistance in making that desire possible. I wholly regret my time at this school, and feel as though my senior year education was thrown away.

Im a student at jw mitchell and i liek the school and teachers. But one problem i always notice is the lack of supervision by the admin. Whenever im going to lunch or walking to class theres no one supervising which is a problem. Cause if a fight breaks out how will it be stopped? Students also can easily skip class and leave the campus in their vehicle. I believe the school needs to crack down on the class skipping because it seems to be a big issue at this school.

The only reason I continue to teach at this school is because of my love for the students. We try so hard to provide the students with the proper resources to learn yet when we ask administration for teaching tools we get hardly anything. The books my students use are so old and decrepit, yet the sports teams get all that they need. There are to many inappropriate relations between administration, staff and school board members. Those personal connections create an unfair advantage for many and should have been dealt with a long time ago but the schools Superintendent protects those at the expense of the students.

The school is horiabbly over crowded and keep getting more crowded from all the new houses being built. There's as much as 35 students in a class and makes it hard for the student to get 1 on 1 help from the teacher. The school has outdated technology. Also the school was not designed to have a lot of students so traffic and hallways are hard yo get through.

Mitchell is an excellent school. Two of my children have graduated from JWMHS and two more are soon to follow. My two oldest daughters are in college and have received honors scholarships from Florida State as well as Bright Futures and a few other miscellaneous scholarships. I believe this is directly due to the excellent education they have received at Mitchell. The Trinity area is a wonderful place to live and the public schools are unrivaled. I have read some bad reviews dating back seven years or more which I find hard to believe. I could not have chosen a better community to raise and educate my children. My children have all flourished in this environment. They love their school and are involved in sports and social activities. I truly believe that Mitchell is the best preparation for a successful college education and beyond. GO MUSTANGS!

Great quality educators, parent involvement, curriculum and school layout. Great team spirit~ They want your child to be a success as long as your child strives for it as well. Fantastic!

is the perfect school if your child isn't a trouble maker then the school wont end up as a bad school

All three of my kids have gone through this high school. The last one will be a senior in 2011-12. The oldest attended UCF and now works as an engineer for a very successful company. The second one is completing his engineering degree at USF. All three have received a superior education to the private school they were in previously. The best investment I could have asked for in my kids was supporting this school and its faculty. GO MUSTANGS!

JW Mitchell is now an "A" school. I am the parent of two students at this school. One graduated in 2009 & is now thriving at UF and one is currently a junior at Mitchell. I could not be happier with the education & quality of teachers here. Both my students have been in the honors & AP classes, and if possible, I'd say this is the route to take. Teachers have been caring, attentive and always answer my emails when I have a question. Mr. Michaels started as principal back in 2009 and he's done a great job so far. In addition, the school population is smaller & no longer overpopulated now that Anclote has opened.

I have a teenager at J.W. Mitchell, and I find it very difficult to reach some of the teachers. Many of the teachers will respond in a timely fashion to an email or a phone call, but it is the teachers that there are problems with that can never be reached. I have even experienced this with the principal, assistant principal and counselors. It is difficult to follow progress of your child when you can not reach the sources. I have tried to contact the school board and was passed from person to person, and event the school board didn't respond to me in a timely fashion. I am very disappointed, since I try to be an involved parent, but find only closed doors.

Last modified James W. Mitchell High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.