Valrico, FL
Before care: Yes
After care: No

Posted October 06, 2014
I'd like to make a comment to the parent complaining about the education at Buckhorn. I do not teach here, but I do teach at another elementary school in the district. Unfortunately it is the CCSS that are making us teach math equations a certain way and have taken away spelling. I try to incorporate spelling into mine, but with only so many hours in the day and with so many things we HAVE to teach, it is hard to do. YOU as a PARENT could teach the spelling if you wanted and if you felt it was that important. We do everything we can to teach your children what they need, but unfortunately we can't do it all. CCSS have now dictated what skills we teach and how we teach them. My kids are learning to do math in ways that are foreign to even me, but that's how they have it now. Please Don't bash a school when you don't know what's really going on. Its not the school, it's the educational system of FL.

Buckhorn Elementary School 1

Posted September 25, 2014
Buckhorn Elementary has the potential to be great school but it is time for a change in Administration. The teachers are amazing but they aren't provided the support they need to succeed. This really effects student progress and what parents are told is not always what happens behind closed doors. :(

Posted August 29, 2014
We have been so very blessed here at Buckhorn. The teachers go above and beyond to care for the students, challenge them academically, and to ensure they succeed. The principal, Mrs. Brooks, is the best you will ever find!! We love it here!!!

Buckhorn Elementary School 2

Posted April 29, 2014
Buckhorn has great amount of money and donations from the PTA. But, for the education part would be scored as below average. The teachers have their hands tied when teaching within the classroom. Teachers are unable to teach grammar, spelling, correct way to solve math equations. They also do not focus on History and Science in the classrooms until second quarter then is but on hold again until the last quarter of school. This school is more focused on testing the children then teaching the children how to read, write and conduct math problems. Examples of our frustrations: Math is being taught is a different way of drawing dots instead of solving the problems through proven mathematical steps. Buckhorn lacks constant focus in regards to English. They do not teach phonics nor spelling. When asking the past 5 years why the school does not teach spelling or grammar the school has explained most of the children will be writing on the computers in which has spell check. This comment has been made from teachers, vice principal and principal.

Posted April 09, 2014
We are so happy at Buckhorn. My son is in 1st grade and has ADHD. The teachers and guidance department have gone above and beyond to help us get through the sometimes exhausting 504 Plan/IEP process. I trust both the principal and AP and know that the teachers there truly care about each child and making sure that child can excel.

Posted April 03, 2014
This school has a very good student enviroment my son is in 1st grade he tells me dad this is the best school i want to go there everyday the teachers are very friendly & caring. Each & every quater the teacher's will specifically let you knw about your kids performance.

Posted October 29, 2013
Buckhorn teachers and supporting personnel are always performing at their best! The PTA and parent volunteers are supportive and a valuable asset to students and teachers. I would not want my children attending any other school. It is a gem! Teachers are caring as well as wanting the best education possible. My children want to go to school and they come home happy.

Buckhorn Elementary School 1

Posted October 06, 2013
My child goes to Buckhorn this year and our experience is that the administrators lack caring. If you have a problem with a teacher, don't expect a reply to your email or a return phone call. I guess that is beneath the current principal and AP. My child has been discouraged time and time again at this school. She is an honor student and has never had a difficult time anywhere else. If I had only known what awaited her here I would have used my school choice for her to attend Valrico Elementary. After school, car riders are kept in the cafeteria and yelled at until they get picked up. The 5th graders are allowed only 1 recess a week because they are punishing the entire 5th grade for a fight between 3 students. This is just the tip of the ice berg at this place. Bad admin, sub par teachers, bad school.

Buckhorn Elementary School 4

Posted August 23, 2013
This school is a great school. My daughter loves it. She wants to go to school everyday.

Posted July 25, 2013
My oldest daughter will be in 5th this yr. And youngest wilk be in kindergarten. But last yr. My youngest was attending for speech twice a week with Mrs. Wayne and Mrs. Ober and she will be with them again and I absolutely have loved them!! Because EVERYTIME! She left speech she came out HAPPY, EXCITED, AND HAS LEARNED A LOT! ! I COULDN'T ASK FOR BETTER TEACHERS

Buckhorn Elementary School
2420 Buckhorn School Court, Valrico, FL  33594
Last modified Buckhorn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Buckhorn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top