Public charter
Venice, FL
After care: No

Posted May 09, 2013
We've found the teachers at SLA to be very good, and they all make time for the kids who need extra help. It's a smaller school, which works to the students' advantage since they get more individual attention from the teachers and staff.

Posted October 31, 2012
I am very pleased I moved my daughter to this school for her 7th grade year. She has learned more in the first 9 weeks this year than she did the entire year at Heron Creek for 6th grade. The teachers assign homework and the core classes have workbooks for each student which is wonderful. I love being able to go online and see what homework/test is coming up for each class. She enjoys being able to pick some fun classes as electives as well. This school is well put together and run.

Posted September 29, 2011
I graduated from this school in 2010 and am now a sophomore in high school, and I can honestly say I loved my years at SLA! The teachers are very nice, welcoming, understanding, and supportive. The environment is friendly, and since the school is smaller, everyone knows each other. I even met my very best friends there. With the exception of a few, the children are very well behaved and under control. They have a pretty good variety of clubs (which do not go after school hours), field trips, weekly bake sales, and they usually only have about four school dances a year with a limit of 130 students per dance, with the tickets very reasonably priced. Lunches are absolutely NOT like a prison. We only ever got silent lunches after the students were so loud, the principal couldn't make phone calls in her office without hearing the ruckus in the background. The trip to D.C. was phenomenal, we saw all the sites on the itinerary and more, and definitely worth the experience. I know many people who switched to SLA from the local middle schools and definitely do not regret their decision. It is a fantastic school, and I really hope you decide to send your children here! :)

Posted April 17, 2011
Moved my children from North Port to this school and I am very happy. The teachers do a great job and I love the smaller class sizes.

Student Leadership Academy 3

Posted January 22, 2011
Student Leadership Academy seems to be an adequate school based on the class sizes and the student /teacher ratio. However my sixth grade daughter recieves barely any homework and there seems to not be much of a challenge for her in all her classes. This makes me worry for how well prepared she will be for high school. The school runs the lunchroom like a prison and have made the entire 6th grade class have a "silent lunch" where no student could talk. Isn't lunch the time to let off a little steam? This school also has frequent school dances. Eleven and twelve year olds do not need to start the pressures of dating/dancing/dressing up so young but this school just seems to encourage it. Not so sure I will have my daughter return to this school...choose wisely!

Posted January 21, 2011
My son is halfwayt hrough his 6th grade year and absolutley loves it! he is in the CAP program and also was given the opportunity to participate in the basketball team. The school is smaller and that allows for him to be more involved and not just to be another student on the roster. The facility is obvioulsy not as fancy or high tech as a newer middle school but its cozy and comfortable and the kids truly feel as if they are part of the school community. He is in the gifted class and the academics are challening to him. The teacher is thorough and patient and has made his transition to middle school very pleasant.

Student Leadership Academy 0

Posted April 24, 2010
My grandson attends this charter school and is doing great. His class just returned from an educational trip to Washington DC.

Posted March 28, 2010
Great school! Love the CAP program, my son is in his third year. The teachers and staff are all dedicated, giving their 100 % effort to create a great learning environment for middle schoolers. We are grateful for his experience there.

Posted March 27, 2010
I've been going to SLA for 3 years and find it amazing school. There's great teachers who are cooperative and if you need the slightest help,they will be by your side. Each grade has a Honors Academy for students who over-achieve in school. There is a good variety of clubs to choose for 1st period. Since it is located right by Venice Airport they have a CAP program. In here students learn about Military and such. Some even get selected to fly planes too. Overall it is a great school and will be upset to be leaving it next year.

Posted April 16, 2009

Student Leadership Academy
200 Field Avenue East, Venice, FL  34285
Last modified Student Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Student Leadership Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top