797 students|Sumter

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

My child was a straight A student coming in. Things have always come to her pretty naturally and having a mom as a teacher probably helped. When she started having trouble in her classes, I immediately asked for a meeting with the teacher to see what could be done. I was told that she wasn't really having trouble. Her grades were bad on the online reporting system because the teachers were behind in putting them in. When the progress report came out, she would be fine. I waited and she ended up with three D's and 2 C's. I called the school and talked to the teachers. (Admittedly, I was pretty upset because they had told me my child was fine and this was not my definition of fine.) The next day, my child had all A's again. I do not know if this is the teachers getting on the ball and putting in her grades or simply giving them to her. My daughter did not turn in any extra work. I do not feel the teacher's have been successful in her school.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

My daughter has homework from her classes every night (except Friday). When she has struggled, I have encouraged her to work with a friend who is in the same class. Many of her friends are taking the same classes but with different teachers. However, the things one teacher allows a child to do to solve a problem or answer a question another teacher will not allow. This is especially true for math, but I have ran into the same problem with history and science as well. Why are strategies not consistent across the board.

This is a horrible school. As a teacher myself, I have a pretty good understanding of child development. Time and again, this school has shocked me. They put my daughter in a high school credit math class without my consent. When I protested, they told me that she had to stay in that class because there was no other place for her. When I went to the principal with my concern and told her she was struggling a lot and had an F, he told me that most of the students did but they would be graded on a curve and she would most likely end up with a B. I asked what happens when she goes to high school and cannot complete the work in the class that follows and he told me that "that was the high schools job, not his!" I have since made arrangements to move my child to citrus county schools. I don't want her to be given her grades and I want her to understand the material. The school does not seem to understand my point of view on this or many other issues.

Worst School I have EVER been to. 1. the Staff: they LITERALLY lie to you (in my experience, they said that if I improved my grades then I would pass. I did (come close that is, but it was still good enough for me to pass) and they failed me 2. Students: they're are some of the worst I've seen, from just ONE PERSON, the ENTIRE STUDENT BODY started to call me gay and ask me questions (are you gay?) I'd tell them no and that one person would look at me like I'm retarted and start LYING and saying how I was. 3. The food: they don't even have enough to feed everyone, I swear if you were ever put in Lunch Detention once you go up to get your food, they're either: Burned or Gone. In Addition: Last Day of School was the WORST TIME IVE EVER HAD, IMMEDIATELY once I got to school IMMEDIATELY during homeroom the teacher wrote me up because I wasn't wearing a collared shirt (and one of the students LAUGHED at me) and in the end I had to spend the last 2 days at ISS because of that one little thing. Once again: WORST EXPERIENCE I EVER HAD.

My daughter attended this school, I was very pleased with staff and available resources. Middle school was a huge concern, due to horror stories of other parents, and news stories. I had no issuses and believe this school has helped and readied my child for high school. She was able to accure part of her high school credit through programs offered.

I know my child did not like this school and I know many others that wound up moving their child to Citrus County. They told me plain out at the office one day that they have a lot of transient students due to the fact that the school is near the Webster Flea Mkt. My child made it through this school, but absolutely hated every minute. I should have listened to him. I thought that the South Sumter High School in Bushnell would be better because it is not near the Flea Mkt., but they only cater at the high school to the children that have been born and raised in the surrounding area. They treat them still as if they are transient students even at the South Sumter High School. I'm guessing that all the good reviews that you see by (parents) on these (2) schools are teachers.

I am a student at this horrible place and they give No effort what so ever to help the student (as in Bullying , grades, tutors,etc) and when i was being bullied they couldn't help cause i didn't know the names of the kids.

They cover all county statures, no matter how annoying the offenses may be. The learning enviroment in nice and although some students don't even try, others find the work difficult (occasionaly) and can find it challenging to get an A. The teachers can have 'teacher's pets' but they also get treated like the other students. This school is perfect, like said below, the school doesn't have the highest quality tools etc. but even the football team remains undeafeted!

This school is very sucessful and has a great enviroment for students to learn.

i love this school. except the most stupidest rule about the backpacks. but i love going here it's so laidback and the teachers are great.

Last modified South Sumter Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.