Wellington Landings Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1111 students

Posted yesterday

We were told this was the best middle school in Wellington...they lied! My daughter came into this school with a 504 plan and ADD. (She is not hyper, just has trouble focusing on tasks) The teachers belittled her, embarrassed her, spoke down to us. The staff is indignant without being provoked. (including the principal) I know there are great teachers at this school, but our 6 grade experience was so awful that we are now paying for private school. They do not want the kids in their classes that are slower than the rest. They don't have the time. I do understand that there are alot of kids and teachers are overworked. WLMS pls help the kids who need it. follow the 504 plans. (extra time on tests, extra notes to help study at home, sitting in front of the class without being embarrassed about it in front of the other students, being lectured and degraded for saying "yes ma'am" to a teacher) My daughter has sat with the autism kids all her life during school lunches just to help thm. If you don't know what kind of a kid you have in your classroom by the end of the school year, you shouldn't be teaching any more. The attitudes come from their leadership. Its really sad! :(

Posted June 6, 2014

#1 non-magnet public school in Palm Beach County!!! Led by a dedicate principal with some really good teachers with a few needing improvements (why 4 stars given).

Posted September 30, 2013

My school is the highest ranking non-magnet middle school in Palm Beach county!! The staff and teachers are awesome and dedicated to motivating our students to achieve their potential. As one of the oldest buildings in the county, you would think that the board of education would put some money into it; seems every other school that is near the same age has been given physical updates!

Posted June 30, 2013

It's an excellent school for people who want to learn really well, my math teacher helped me amazingly with my so well that I got an award and was in the top 5 in math! The science teacher was alright with me I was probably the lowest in my class but luckily I kept a B throughout the year! My world history teacher did an excellent job teaching me because I know LOVE world history along with math! My language arts teacher who is know retired was an excellent teacher whom was and will probably always be my favorite teacher! I may not have done well but me and her got along best of all :) those were my main teachers the two others were my elective teachers! The teachers are great the staff is ok; the bathrooms are dirty; the hallways are dirty with gum, burgers, and gross stuff. The hallways are often crowded but the staff and teachers do well but they need to work on the bullying. My 6th grade year was ok.

Posted May 16, 2013

It's a great school academically. The bathrooms are filthy though and it's an outdoor school so when it rains the halls are overcrowded. There's a lot of music electives and something for almost everyone. This is a good school and this is my last year. I'll be sad to leave. The principal is very friendly and is always ready to help you when you need it. Great school overall.

Posted May 12, 2013

Oh, what can I say about WLMS. The disgusting bathrooms, gum on the sidewalk and under every single desk, and public school food. Now that I'm a high schooler, I have time to reflect, and overall, it was okay except for the things I've mentioned above. The teachers prepared me to go to high school (and don't forget the "test!" (FCAT)). I'm lucky enough to go to a school that does not teach to the test now. I especially enjoyed my 8th grade year here. The other years not so much because of bullying issues. I think the main problem with that is because there are kids that are not even in the radius to attend the school but they do. This school could be much worse though. Although I'm disappointed to hear that a few of the admins have moved on for various reasons and the fabulous band teacher is gone. I don't think they could hire another teacher as good as him.

Posted August 9, 2012

I am a student, and have attended this school for a very brief period of time. I will start by saying that I had a particularly horrible experience while attending, although I assure you I am not biased. I am, however, coming from a completely different school environment. Of course, the very first thing I noticed on my first day was that the school is very dirty. Immediately thereafter, I became genuinely skeptical about the teacher's, more so than I have ever been in my life. I was in all advanced classes, where you would expect the teachers to be energetic(maybe?), but no, the atmosphere was more like a military operation, without the motivation. Not necessarily disciplined effectively either. While the other kids attending this school, I found to generally of an unacceptable attitude, and unaware of anything within the least significance. Although there is much more to say about the other students, I won't say more. My parents had to force the guidance counselor to help me, and even though she had a clear intent on helping me, it was a failed attempt. Nonetheless, I must say the principal seemed to be amazing. In conclusion, this school is not for everyone.

Posted March 28, 2012

Wellington Landings Middle School is a great school with fantastic teachers and staff. Of course, all schools have the teachers who "Teach the Test" which mean that they teach students to only pass the test. The other teachers teach the students well, and because they were taught well they pass the test. The classes are challenging with plenty of projects and assignments. The music program is wonderful with many fun activities to enjoy! However, the hallways are always crowded with students chatting. Teachers stand, watching but they don't do anything. It's annoying for students who are trying to get by. The lunches are sometimes very crowded and the lines can get uncomfortably long. The lockers are poorly thought out, students sometimes have to wait to get to their locker because someone is blocking it. The locker schedule (which allows the students to their lockers at specific time) makes it more harder for students to get their things. The technology is somewhat lacking (I.e. cables across the classroom). All in all, WLMS has minor issues which can be fixed but it has great teachers and staff to help your child though their middle school experience!

Posted August 20, 2011

Im in 7th grade and I love this school!! The teachers are great!(well the ones ive had) My only problem is the bathrooms,but that can be fixed. Im in Concert Chorus and I absolutley love it! The teacher,Mrs.Pernezny ,is very nice. This school has a great sports program and excellent school clubs.

Posted July 17, 2011

School and bathroom are filthy and need cleaning. Many of the teachers ( esp the femaleones have poor attitudes and are not approachable). The 7th grade guidance counselor needs to retire. The public schools in Florida put too much emphasis on the FCATS and not enough on learning. Students are treated like numbers not individuals. Kids have to fail to get any help at all -- of your child needs special attention in a particular subject the parents are told to hire a tutor. There are a lot of fights and there is not enough done about bullying. Florida public schools are the pits and they need to be overhauled from top to bottom.

Posted July 5, 2011

As a teacher in Palm Beach County I have taught at several different middle schools in the area. The expectations for excellence placed upon the students, faculty AND staff are much higher at WLMS than any other school I have taught at. Yes, the school is old,and as in every school there are some teachers that are better than others. But the school continues to outperform all other "non-choice" middle schools in the district year after year. Don Estridge and Bak are excellent schools, but they are magnet schools and can pick and choose enrollment to a certain degree. Excellence is expected from everyone. Parent involvement is very high and the athletics generally excel. Unfortunately, our district tends to give technology preferences to at-risk or low performing schools. As a result, the technology is somewhat lacking (no permanent projector mounts, not many AV aids, lots of cords to trip on around the classrooms), but the school manages to incorporate technology pretty well, given what they have. Overall, as a teacher, I am very impressed with the school and look forward to many more years there!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 1, 2011

The schools needs cleaning. Students are given assignments to complete and except in math, with very litttle teacher interaction. Teachers need to be excited about learning so students want to come to school and enjoy learning.

Posted October 1, 2010

Another school year started and again there is 2-3 hours nightly of homework, projects on long weekends, staff members making fun of students, the bathrooms still too dirty and smelly to use . The sports continue to do well, but, the academic focus needs to change from read this "chapter and complete this packet."

Posted September 12, 2010

im in 8th grade anddd his school sucks well 8th grade does. 7th grade is the best year by far. Tequesta team has the NICEST teachers. Mrs.Prater is very assuming and judemental and he over-reacts to things alot. 8th grade gets way to much homework. Mr.COhen is good for history. Mr.Berton is a good 7th grade teacher.

Posted December 22, 2009

I have my Child enrolled in this school and all I have to say is that this school is the BEST!! There Sports Program is Incredible, and After School activities are really wonderful. The School is old and the only concern I have is that when there is a Storm, (If it rains the Whole day) The 6th Grade Area floods, But the Principals Try there Best to Keep Students from getting Wet. The Dress Code is very Formal, not overly strict like my sons old school but Formal and nice. -Penton Family

Posted September 4, 2009

I am A 6TH grader here And all I have to say is WOW!!! They barely give us homework but they wwork us hard. The band Teachaer Mr.Martindale Rocks!!! Mr.Paul (Principal) is soo nice. Even tho sometimes class changing can get a little crazy it still cool. The only bad thing is the distance from The Gym and the Classrooms. But overall YOUR CHILD should got to this school its so awsome!!!!

Posted August 31, 2009

ths school is the best school in florida its so much fun and the education is phenomanal as is the extra curricular activities

Posted November 29, 2008

this school is a great school all the teachers are great(except a few)im in advanced band and the teacher is great the school is a little run down but other then that its great

Posted November 18, 2008

I have just started high school and happen to have stumbled upon this site, and doing so I did realize how much I did miss the greatest school I had ever stepped foot in. The teachers are wonderful, the organization of the schedule, the clubs, the education, etc. is outstanding. Education is excellent and satisfying, rather than boring. This school is neither lacking in electives nor in academics, with a gifted program and band, chorus, and even a handbells class. In my three years attending, nothing became banal, rather the school was always an enjoyable place to be.

Posted November 2, 2008

I am a 7th grade gifted student here and have been at Binks from K-5, and am still going to Landings. I'm in the advanced and jazz bands, and I have to say this school is amazing. I'm learning much more, and I'm having ten times more fun than I was before I came. Everyone is friends with one another in the gifted program, and we all get along, but there are many more fights and bad kids in the non-gifted program, but we are mostly separated, and don't have any academic classes together. There is also a great special needs program, and there is a well set schedule for classes. The band and chorus programs are amazing (in my opinion the band is better,) and we have always received superior ratings. It's great for any child, especially the special needs and musically gifted ones.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

318 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

318 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

358 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

357 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

397 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

401 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

400 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

404 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

396 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

212 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom