Dr. John Long Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1624 students

Posted September 30, 2014

Hi student, and I the love the teachers. We have the most kids out of any school in pasco county.With this comes overflow classes in portibals and all 6th grades have usally have all there common core classes in there. There was a teacher arrested. But she is gone and the teaching ethics work if your child pays attion in class.There is no uniforms but there is dress code.

Posted May 31, 2014

Great school! I don't understand some of the bad reviews. ( except about the school nurse being sometimes "unpleasant"). Lol I've had 2 of my kids attend JLMS and it has been wonderful.. Both of my kids are in the Honors program and have had the best learning experience. The Asst Princal Miss Briscoe is the best I have ever seen and truly cares about each student. She is so involved and I have seen her at every single school event ...... Music, drama, sporting events..... I feel the teachers are strict but that is a good thing at this age. This school is nicknamed "the private public school" because most teachers have their Masters degrees . As a parent I feel that this school sets kids up for success in high school and beyond.

Posted May 22, 2014

This school is disappointing. It's overcrowded, and the teachers' communication is lacking and there are unclear expectations. My 6th grader is shy and sensitive, and at the point in his life where social issues take precedent over his academics. I feel like the kids here have too much time on their hands, which just causes trouble. They should be busy learning and being pushed to their full potential; instead they are allowed to get on their phones and play games and go on the internet. The teachers seem to set the kids up for "catching" them missing an assignment instead of setting them up for success. They also did not respond promptly to my concerns in an email sent at the beginning of the year. Only 2 of his 6 teachers showed up to the Open House, which should have been a good indication of how much they were willing to put into their jobs. :/

Posted April 2, 2014

I feel that my son is learning a lot and he has wonderful teachers. He is in 6th grade, and we were very worried about him starting middle school in a new place, but he loves it, and so do we! The Administration is great, too. They have responded to our emails and phone calls very promptly.

Posted February 27, 2014

This is a very large public school where kids with 504s and IEPs are lumped together by people who do not have any education about best practices for various learning disabilities. Kids are tracked by FCAT scores so that if your child earned As and Bs in class but scored a 2 on an FCAT, they are placed in low level classes (the school claims they don't do this and yet, first block Math is designed for those not passing FCAT in order to give more time) There is no understanding of varieties of LD (dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dyslexia, visual processing d/o, auditory processing d/o....In Florida, one does not need a master's in special ed or counseling to be in charge of 504s and IEPs. If your child does not test well on standardized tests despite good classroom grades,you can expect your LD child to be placed with juvenile delinquents and making bad-influence friends despite all the love and hard work devoted to your child. Common-Core will increase the standardized testing in public schools--your child will be better off in a good private school such as Tampa Day School or Holy Names. Our child left this school with IBS after being a happy go lucky kid.

Posted January 29, 2014

Half good teachers/half not so great/good counselors/APsinneffective...syllabus in each class is not a course description and schedule but a behavior expectation sheet. So, this sets the tone of punitive instruction rather than the joy of learning from day 1. If you have a "gifted" child (one who is left-brain dominant and has a great memory) they can go to the special "Dreamcatcher" program where they will be celebrated and loved. If your child is a normal kid (gifted in other attributes such as art or acting or sports) ...they will go along with the herd of kids. If you have a child with learning disabilities PLEASE go to another school...there is no education on the part of most teachers in public school Florida...ADD or dyslexia will be misunderstood and your only "accommodation" will be to have the child sit at the front of the class and have longer test time (a joke among professionals who understand best practices). There are a few gem teachers but not enough to swing the character of this school in the right direction. Student culture here is harsh but not unusual for public middle school...if you have a sensitive child, go private or charter...many in the area.

Posted November 22, 2013

very rude teachers, I can only agree. My child is in 6 th grade we never had such a bad school! Lots of mobbing from teachers and students. Can't wait to move. If you have a choice - stay away from this one!

Posted November 21, 2013

Worst. School. Ever. The teachers are hostile. Its really hard to learn like that. There are bullies everywhere and about 2000 people. The only reason its 9 out of 10 is because its new.

Posted October 3, 2013

watch out!!! teachers are rude and aggressive lots of mobbing going on and very very poor education!!!!

Posted January 27, 2013

parents are not involved the staff are kinda rude and stuck up the school has way too many students sure the school looks nice and everyone will feed you a bunch of info on how the school is so great but i have never seen anything i really liked about the staff or overall the school in general the teachers dont keep control of the students my son has trouble with learning he says because the class is out of controll and is run by the students there was one time i walked into the school and i didnt seem like the kids were very happy not that kids like school most dont but i have seen schools where the students felt maybe a little more happy to be there its like a giant building of white walls and terrible staff surrounded by a bunch of boring farm land it makes me wanna go to sleep

Posted January 16, 2013

I've had children in this school for the past 6 years and can tell you, it's a fantastic middle school. Yes, it's huge...1650 students thanks to rezoning to bring the number down a few hundred. You would think this is an impossible number of students to handle. But the teachers and administration have a set of standards in place that really keeps the kids on the right track. They don't tolerate bullying and have procedures in place to deal with it. The kids know exactly what's expected of them, including dress code, behavior, attitude and academics and they really do walk the straight and narrow. Of course, no school is 100% problem free. But overall, I couldn't imagine a better environment for my kids to grow. The only problem I have found is communication is sometimes difficult at this level. You have to be an involved parent to keep up with what's going on with your student. It's not like elementary school where the teachers sends home notes with the kids. But thanks to eSembler, parents have 24 hour access to grades and assignments as well as an open line of communication to the teachers so we can keep on top of things. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted December 17, 2012

My child came to DJLMS in 7th grade. I read the excellent reviews and the high rating of this school and I was convinced this school would be a great move, I was wrong. First, the middle school has close to 2000 students which make it impossible for your child to get on a sports team or club because of the number of participants. The students are very clicky and do not go out of their way to make friends with new students. The Administration has rules that no child is allowed to ride the bus home with another child, even in an emergency. This is also due to the abundant number of students at this school. My child felt bullied and was called names by classmates on a weekly basis. My child was not impressed with the teachers besides the math and chorus teacher and she was in advanced classes before. The counselor was great but the principle's secretary and nurse were just plain rude and unfriendly to me, a parent. I was not impressed at all. The reason they have a 9 rating is because the school is still very new not because it is a good school. I wish a parent would have written a review like this. I would have chosen another area to live.

Posted December 10, 2012

My daughter is in 8th grade, during the three years she has been in the school she has had great teachers, I haven't heard cases of bullying, they tackle misconduct immediately , they have various clubs based on the students interests. Given that is the largest middle school in the county, I think the organization is fantastic.

Posted August 20, 2012

We just moved from MD and registered our son in July. Today is the first day of school and his schedule is still not complete. He has 3 classes but then he is sitting in the office the rest of day as they frantically try to work out the schedules for him and some other unlucky students. This doesn't sound like great organization or leadership skills to me and I'm pretty frustrated so far. They tell me they hope to get it worked out today but no guarantees as they are overcrowded and have staffing isssues.

Posted August 7, 2012

JLMS is a good school and i would tell any parent to send there child there for a good middle school experience i use to go there my 8th grade year was so short it was like the first day of school and the next day school was over the 2009-2010 year flew by but anyways the teachers are helpful and they want you to succeed shoutout to Mr.hernadez,Mr.Thomas and the whole bandits staff we all miss yall i miss jlms and i look forward to visiting it back when i have kids one day. CLASS OF 2014 ALL DAY

Posted June 26, 2012

This past year was my daughter's first year at JLMS and I was a bit nervous. I'm a teacher in Hillsborough County so my children have always followed me. This was my first experience with Pasco County Schools. My daughter is in the gifted program and I was incredibly impressed with this school. Positive referrals from the AP and top notch teachers that care about their students. Communication was awesome and my daughter really blossomed! I look forward to sending my youngest to JLMS for his first year of Middle School! I have friends in Hillsborough trying to get their kids into this school! Administration is on top of it all and enforces the school rules and dress code which really makes a difference in the school culture.

Posted April 26, 2012

This school was named after my father. I only hope that it is bringing joy to as many children , parents and teachers as he would have loved and hoped for.

Posted June 27, 2011

My journey through John Long was okay. A lot of the teachers did not have enough a background in education to be teaching at that school. If it wasn't for the 8th grade assistant principle I would not have been able to make it through the school year. Also the our teachers did plan for the year, and we ended up being behind and having do 5 projects the last few weeks of school.

Posted June 27, 2011

This school was good in some of the educational parts, but some of the teachers did not know enough about the topics they were teaching. We actually had to help our language arts teacher pronounce and spell words. Also, this school has no lockers, making it, literally, a pain in your back to carry around all your things.

Posted April 10, 2011

Pulled my son out of John Long after 7th grade, wish I had done it sooner! Administration wouldn't switch my son's science class after many complaints; zeroes on assignments that the teacher had written on and handed back to him. Poor teacher control in many of his classrooms, and kids very concerned with social issues instead of school.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

490 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

489 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

547 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

551 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

560 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

563 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

559 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

555 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

473 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

247 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

• MS. CHRISTINE E WOLFF
Fax number
  • (813) 346-6291

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Boys sports
  • Basketball
Girls sports
  • Basketball
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Apply now