Dr. John Long Middle School 4

Posted September 30, 2014
Hi student, and I the love the teachers. We have the most kids out of any school in pasco county.With this comes overflow classes in portibals and all 6th grades have usally have all there common core classes in there. There was a teacher arrested. But she is gone and the teaching ethics work if your child pays attion in class.There is no uniforms but there is dress code.

Posted May 31, 2014
Great school! I don't understand some of the bad reviews. ( except about the school nurse being sometimes "unpleasant"). Lol I've had 2 of my kids attend JLMS and it has been wonderful.. Both of my kids are in the Honors program and have had the best learning experience. The Asst Princal Miss Briscoe is the best I have ever seen and truly cares about each student. She is so involved and I have seen her at every single school event ...... Music, drama, sporting events..... I feel the teachers are strict but that is a good thing at this age. This school is nicknamed "the private public school" because most teachers have their Masters degrees . As a parent I feel that this school sets kids up for success in high school and beyond.

Dr. John Long Middle School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
This school is disappointing. It's overcrowded, and the teachers' communication is lacking and there are unclear expectations. My 6th grader is shy and sensitive, and at the point in his life where social issues take precedent over his academics. I feel like the kids here have too much time on their hands, which just causes trouble. They should be busy learning and being pushed to their full potential; instead they are allowed to get on their phones and play games and go on the internet. The teachers seem to set the kids up for "catching" them missing an assignment instead of setting them up for success. They also did not respond promptly to my concerns in an email sent at the beginning of the year. Only 2 of his 6 teachers showed up to the Open House, which should have been a good indication of how much they were willing to put into their jobs. :/

Posted April 02, 2014
I feel that my son is learning a lot and he has wonderful teachers. He is in 6th grade, and we were very worried about him starting middle school in a new place, but he loves it, and so do we! The Administration is great, too. They have responded to our emails and phone calls very promptly.

Dr. John Long Middle School 3

Posted January 29, 2014
Half good teachers/half not so great/good counselors/APsinneffective...syllabus in each class is not a course description and schedule but a behavior expectation sheet. So, this sets the tone of punitive instruction rather than the joy of learning from day 1. If you have a "gifted" child (one who is left-brain dominant and has a great memory) they can go to the special "Dreamcatcher" program where they will be celebrated and loved. If your child is a normal kid (gifted in other attributes such as art or acting or sports) ...they will go along with the herd of kids. If you have a child with learning disabilities PLEASE go to another school...there is no education on the part of most teachers in public school Florida...ADD or dyslexia will be misunderstood and your only "accommodation" will be to have the child sit at the front of the class and have longer test time (a joke among professionals who understand best practices). There are a few gem teachers but not enough to swing the character of this school in the right direction. Student culture here is harsh but not unusual for public middle school...if you have a sensitive child, go private or charter...many in the area.

Posted November 22, 2013
very rude teachers, I can only agree. My child is in 6 th grade we never had such a bad school! Lots of mobbing from teachers and students. Can't wait to move. If you have a choice - stay away from this one!

Posted November 21, 2013
Worst. School. Ever. The teachers are hostile. Its really hard to learn like that. There are bullies everywhere and about 2000 people. The only reason its 9 out of 10 is because its new.

Posted October 03, 2013
watch out!!! teachers are rude and aggressive lots of mobbing going on and very very poor education!!!!

Posted January 27, 2013
parents are not involved the staff are kinda rude and stuck up the school has way too many students sure the school looks nice and everyone will feed you a bunch of info on how the school is so great but i have never seen anything i really liked about the staff or overall the school in general the teachers dont keep control of the students my son has trouble with learning he says because the class is out of controll and is run by the students there was one time i walked into the school and i didnt seem like the kids were very happy not that kids like school most dont but i have seen schools where the students felt maybe a little more happy to be there its like a giant building of white walls and terrible staff surrounded by a bunch of boring farm land it makes me wanna go to sleep

Posted January 16, 2013
I've had children in this school for the past 6 years and can tell you, it's a fantastic middle school. Yes, it's huge...1650 students thanks to rezoning to bring the number down a few hundred. You would think this is an impossible number of students to handle. But the teachers and administration have a set of standards in place that really keeps the kids on the right track. They don't tolerate bullying and have procedures in place to deal with it. The kids know exactly what's expected of them, including dress code, behavior, attitude and academics and they really do walk the straight and narrow. Of course, no school is 100% problem free. But overall, I couldn't imagine a better environment for my kids to grow. The only problem I have found is communication is sometimes difficult at this level. You have to be an involved parent to keep up with what's going on with your student. It's not like elementary school where the teachers sends home notes with the kids. But thanks to eSembler, parents have 24 hour access to grades and assignments as well as an open line of communication to the teachers so we can keep on top of things. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Dr. John Long Middle School
2025 Mansfield Boulevard, Wesley Chapel, FL  33543
Last modified Dr. John Long Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dr. John Long Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top