West Melbourne, FL
Before care: Yes

Posted October 25, 2014
My two children have attended this school for the past three years and I can not say enough good things about it. The teachers are all excellent and have always gone out of their way to keep in touch and to provide the best education possible. My children have thrived under their care. I have even had a teacher give me their home phone number in case I had any questions. The office staff is excellent and we absolutely love the guidance counselor, Ms. Mistretta. If you want a quality education for your child, this school is an excellent choice.

W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science 2

Posted March 17, 2014
I was a former student at WMSS and have several major complaints. First off, the current principal is an egomaniac who completely disregards the opinions/ concerns of students. Secondly, she has imposed several rules regulating the lunch aspect of the school day, requiring complete silence, as well as requiring that one sign up for the different options for physical education (recess). Where as before, the whole area was free to roam and change games as one would please. The principal has also repainted the school from its original tan and dark green color scheme to one of a more dark orange, creating a bleak outlook.

Posted December 20, 2013
Great School. Mrs Hershberger is great! Involved and concerned principal and teachers for the most part. My daughter loves it here and with the exception of one teacher last school year, I am very pleased!

Posted July 30, 2013
This school is amazing for your child IF they like and excel at academics. It is faster paced than the normal public school. People know this going into it. It is supposed to give your child a great head start when it comes time to get into a good middle school program. The communication is on the average side but the academics are great and we have loved it. Both of my boys have done very well as I anticipate that my daughter will also

W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science 2

Posted July 29, 2013
This school cares little about children who need that extra push because they are so lazy to do the work. I t is notewothy to let the public know that if your child has any little struggle, the team of teachers is quick to claim him or her to be ESE which warrants a definite lablel on that child. My child was so uncomfortable at this school; I don't want to put her in this predicament for the sake of prestige!

Posted April 08, 2012
Good curriculum - value in having small school with limited number of classes per grade - science instruction is top of the bunch. Lots of great extracurricular activities.

Posted April 06, 2012
Best school ever ! BENNETT KENT is a good kid ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science 3

Posted June 23, 2011
The overall strength of this school is that these students come from families which have involved parents. Children perform well, but likely would perform well at any school. The strength is that education is valued by all families. At times, the instruction can be lack-luster, primarily because behavior is often not an issue. Also, organization (using planners, coordinating tests, parent communication) could really be improved. It looks like there will be no PTO this year. Issues have arisen in the ease of volunteering; the process had gotten complicated. That's disappointing. We continue to keep out children here because we know that the other students come from families with similar values and that it is a more sheltered environment.

Posted April 27, 2010

Posted April 17, 2010
My children have attended WMSS for four years and I have been happy with the teachers and administration. I am concerned for next year as so many changes are being implemented. Teachers are being moved all around and they are seriously considering departmentalizing (having students change classes) in third through sixth grades. I think fifth grade is challenging, Children in the fourth grade and below need the support and consistency of having the same teacher. Personally, I think if something works, then it need maintenance - not an overhaul.

W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science
2255 Meadowlane Avenue, West Melbourne, FL  32904
Last modified W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W. Melbourne Elementary School For Science Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top