School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Gardens School of Technology Arts is an A-rated, tuition-free public charter school, educating young innovators grades K-8 with 21st century skills. In addition to a solid core academic program, Gardens SOTA delivers creative technology instruction in three domains: Digital Art & Animation, Programming & Engineering, and Maker Innovation. Visit us at www.mysota.net, our YouTube Channel 'GSOTAWeb' and look us up on Facebook for additional program information and current happens on our campus.
March 08, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Agree

We were told when we enrolled exactly what the homework would be like, and it's been consistent.

My three kids love this school. It is small, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. My kids love all of their teachers, and among the three of them that is 9 teachers because all the students have different teachers for different subjects. They get to learn with a lot of different types of technology. All in all it's everything we were looking for in a small community school.

Develops character: no rating

- a school leader
The foundation of our GSOTA's positive climate and culture, which is frequently highlighted by our families, is a clear and positive student code of conduct to which all students are held. Honesty, integrity and fairness are modeled by our faculty and staff and are developed in all of our students as they learn about their community and global society.

Teacher effectiveness: no rating

- a school leader
GSOTA's hiring process is rigorous and typically involves a workshop with creative technology components. Our mission and vision are communicated thoroughly to each prospective employee, and teachers join our professional faculty very intentionally to support that mission and vision. Our teachers are consistently provided training opportunities and oversight by our Director of Academics to ensure their educational strategies and delivery are versatile and effective.

Amount of homework: no rating

- a school leader
Our student's homework load is significantly lighter than most academic programs, even to the point that some parents feel we should require more. However, because of our project-based approach and the amount of learning that occurs during the school day, our primary goal for homework is to reinforce fundamental concepts as opposed to completing additional assignments.

Amount of homework: Disagree

my son is in kindergarten. the amount of class changing, and homework were ridiculous. these are children!

I have just been more than happy, ecstatic with our entire experience! The entire faculty is so warm, and inviting. They truly care about my child and the other children. They are so involved with their life as faculty members at GSOTA. It's very evident that the GSOTA team cares deeply for their job and the kids overall success and well being. As a mom to a first time in school child I had many reservations and fears. But GSOTA has left me feeling at ease and just so happy about my child's success. My child is learning things that cause me to question, wow should I step up my game?:-) I'm just very pleased, as is my entire family.

I have so many complaints I don't know where to start. As others have said, communication is spotty at best, with teachers seeming to play favorites. While tutoring was offered, it was cancelled as soon as FCATs were complete - are you kidding me? Talk about teaching to the test. Ugh. Frankly I think this is a thinly disguised attempt to get public funding for a school that services members of the church the school rents space from. At the beginning of the year, all students were REQUIRED to apply for subsidized lunches because the school got extra funding based on applications. School administrators are also church administrators, which we did not know. All but one teacher appear to be born again Christians, and it invades the environment - when the science teach has to post a disclaimer on the school homework site that "evolution is only an opinion" there's a MAJOR problem. Also - we were charged at technology fee ostensible to cover the cost of the tablets issued to each student - but they were late in arriving, then used for a month or two before being discarded. Mismanagement, under-experienced teachers that appear to be hired based on their religion, bad communication...

Its a nice school because it small but with saying that there is not enough staff and communication is very poor. They don't deal with any problem with in the school . They need better direction and they need to put more of the money there raising in to the school.

Last modified Gardens School Of Technology Arts Inc is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.