Bak Middle School of the Arts

Public | 6-8 | 1355 students

Sweep tile

Posted Thursday, April 10, 2014

Extroverts only. Introverts need not apply. My daughter is a fantastic artist and writer, but did not get in because she did not speak loudly enough and did not show enough emotion and gestures during audition. It is evident that there is only one personality type on campus when you visit.

Posted January 30, 2014

Love this school. I'm so happy that my 7th grade girl attend in VISUAL ART PROGRAM.....

Posted January 13, 2014

This school perfectly met my daughters needs. She is an 8th grade Visual Arts major. The combination of being able to take didactic classes, then art classes in the same day improved her over all school performance. She is in all gifted and advanced courses. She took HS Algebra 1 last year and HS Geometry and HS Spanish this year. It is a tough school and has high demands and expectations. Due to this, she has learned dedication and time management. Her grades are great and she is very enthusiastic about the school. No school is flawless, she has liked some teachers better than others, some classes better than others. These students overall have a high level of self esteem and learn that hard work yields great accomplishments. She is proud to have attended this school.

Posted December 30, 2013

I attended Bak last year for my eighth grade year, and was very nervous about switching schools in the middle of my middle school career. I came from a Christian School, at which I had a very poor experience. I auditioned for Bak for Theatre as First Choice, and Vocal as Second Choice. I really wanted to pursue Theatre, but I also enjoyed signing. I passed the rigorous auditions for both, however only a spot was available for my second choice, Vocal. I accepted, and was told that if a spot open up for Theatre, I would be accepted into the Theatre program. I started the school year in Vocal, fearing that I would be ostracized and not accepted by others. By lunch time on the first day, I knew that I had encountered a very special school, and that my fears were altogether dumbfounded. I really enjoyed Vocal, but my heart was in the Theatre. I met with the principal (at that time Mrs. Kennedy), and she set up a meeting with Mr. Valentine, the Theatre Dean. I spoke with them, and we talked for quite a bit, and they ultimately told me they would let me know. I ended up switching to Theatre, and I had a superb year. I thoroughly enjoyed both Arts and Academic classes. Best School EVER

Posted October 22, 2013

I am currently a 7th grader at Bak MSOA and I have learned a lot of from this school. Not just academic skills but how school should be first priority. Yes this school is difficult and gives more work than average but I believe to get better you should be challenged. All of the rude comments you see are parents that are furious at the fact that their kid did not get in. If your kid is interested in arts I totally recommend it. I came into Bak not knowing much about my major, which is communications. We do a lot of video and radio production, journalism, speech and debate, and graphic design. My dream career is now to be a director or producer of movies, Bak has helped me figure out my path. I really can not say anything bad about it, for once I actually enjoy going to school every morning.

Posted January 24, 2013

Honestly, this middle school was one of the best schools I have ever attended. Although I only spent one year there, it was the most beneficial year of my schooling thus far. I attended three different schools in so many years and this school was the reason that I began to love learning again. They encourage their students to learn and be cultured at the same time. I graduated in 2011 and the teachers were so supportive of the high schools that we chose to attend. I chose to attend Suncoast High School which is one of the top ranked schools in the nation and I found that I was extremely prepared for the amount of work and rigorous curriculum that was thrust upon me. If your child is interested in the arts at all, I suggest you encourage them to audition because it is truly a wonderful experience. Everyone there is accepting and their Theatre program is fantastic!

Posted October 20, 2012

BAK is AWESOME. We love Mrs. Kennedy, Ms. Souder, Mr B, Mrs B, Mr Barefoot, Ms. Ellrich, Ms.Womble, Ms. Jahn, Mr. Loud, Ms. Rizzo, Mr. Cantor. We just started and so grateful.

Posted July 3, 2012

BMSOA is one of the best middle schools in Florida. Private schools lose a lot of their best students to Bak when they enter 6th grade. From top to bottom, no school can compete academically. The arts options are exceptional and the facilities in general are fantastic. Not to mention that every great teacher wants to teach at Bak. The students are bright, engaged and eager to learn. The environment alone is reason enough to want to be there. The only problem with the school is that it is extremely selective. A lot (and I am not exaggerating here) of great, smart and talented students do not get accepted. But I firmly believe that great kids do great things regardless of where they are.

Posted April 13, 2012

My daughter has spent the last 3 years at BAK, and as she gets ready to move on to Suncoast MSE program, I felt it appropriate to review this school. It is absolutely amazing, the students are fun, intelligent and respectful of their teachers, parents and surroundings. The school teaches yet allows the child to evolve as an individual, what a remarkable place to be at. Teachers are so amazing there and the curriculum is integrated to the creative core of the school, my child loves BAK and she is very sad to leave.

Posted March 13, 2012

Nothing like it... If your children are interested in the arts, this is the school for them. Academics and arts that are outstanding. Top notch everything. My children love their school. Even the non- arts teachers we've encountered so far have been amazing at giving students various choices in how to do certain projects (example... Turn in a project about a country as a report, as a video, as a travel brochure, a shadow box, etc.). Students are able to access the creative parts of their mind, making learning SO much more fun - and memorable. Kids are kids anywhere you go, and this school is no different. However, my kids HAVE ATTENDED a non - choice middle school and there IS a difference on what is tolerated here. Severe discipline cases are not permitted to return, making it a better learning environment for those who are focused. I could go on for days, but with just over 190 characters remaining? I will simply end with "every day grateful" that my kids have finally been accepted into this school. There IS a difference. This is consistently rated the #1 middle school in the county, and consistently a top 10 in the state. Simply outstanding, no doubt.

Posted December 29, 2011

BEST SCHOOL EVER!! I'm a seventh grade strings major and LOVE my teachers and friends and the whole family of students.

Posted October 23, 2011

I think this is the most awesome school ever! I'm a seventh-grade vocal major and I absolutely LOVE the teachers! There are great people there and I've made so many great friends. I love everything about the school except the "no music at lunch" rule. Other than that, I wish this school could go to collage :)

Posted September 20, 2011

THIS SCHOOL MAY BE AN "A" RATED SCHOOL AND YES THEY DO SCORE VERY HIGH ON THE FCAT WHICH IS GREAT. HOWEVER I DO NOT LIKE HOW THE TEACHERS SHOW FAVORTISM TO MOSTLY ALL OF THE STUDENTS. FOR EXAMPLE THEIR DRESS CODE IS RIDICULOUS..YET MOSTLY ALL CAUCASIAN GIRLS STILL WEAR THE EVER SO SHORT HOLLISTER AND ABERCROMBIE & FITCH SHORTS AND SKIRTS OR LEGGINGS WITH RIPS IN THEM AND WEAR THEM WITH HIGH STILETTO SHOES. TOTALLY INAPPROPRIATE. NOT TO MENTION IF YOUR STUDENT IS IN INTERMEDIATE STRINGS AND THEY TRY OUT MORE THAN ONCE FOR ADVANCE AND DON'T GET IN BUT PLAYS 1ST CHAIR AND READS AND WRITES AND PLAYS ADVANCED PIECES AND HAS A PRIVATE INSTRUCTOR AS WELL AND PLAYS NOTHING BUT ADVANCE PIECES WITH HER TEACHER..YET WHEN SHE AUDITIONS FOR DREYFOOS AND PLAYS A LEVEL 6 SUZUKI BOOK FOR STRINGS AND DOESNT GET IN I FIND THAT MIND BOOGLING. WHAT IVE LEARNED IS WHO YOU KNOW, DO OR HOW MUCH YOU PAY TO GET IN. I THINK BAK AND DREYFOOS ARE BOTH OVER RATED

Posted September 20, 2011

Its the greatest school ever and so much fun to be in! The teachers are fantastic and the arts are amazing!

Posted September 19, 2011

this may be an A rated school but my daughters academics suffered severely during the one year she was there (6th). She came from a private school and was in the "gifted" program and she was bored. Her SAT scores showed the lack of academic training. Also you have to give up a foreign language unless you want to use it as your elective. The theater program is fair. Thank goodness I got my daughter back into private school (Ransom Everglades!) where she not only has a foreign language but drama everyday (which also includes film making). My advice to people is if you can afford private school then keep your kids in private school. Any parent that rationalizes attendance to public schools (at least in Florida) is kidding themselves. Go rent Waiting for Superman. I have experienced the difference first hand.

Posted June 25, 2011

The parents aren't allowed to see their children perform during the audition, so how do they know their child did such a good performance? My son just finished 6th grade at BAK and I love the school. He is very challenged academically, and as a vocal major had the opportunity to sing at Carnegie hall with his chorus group. From the chorus uniform (they dress with jacket and tie), to the way he is expected to behave, and the teachers provided for him, my son is receiving top education. This year he will have private voice lesson at school twice a month. All free. The teachers are amazing. We love Mrs. D.

Posted May 23, 2011

Awesome school. I'm a 6th grade commie and i love it for the most part. It's a very mixed group of teachers. Half are amazing and the other half can sometimes be unorganized. We learn a lot at this school!

Posted May 4, 2011

Don't listen to some of the comments. A lot of people are mad when their children didn't get into this school. How the audition goes, is first the student auditions, and if they are good enough, they get in. If they aren't good enough, which is only a few, they get into the waiting list, which IS a raffle. So "Excellent Students that auditioned got into the waiting pool" are not really excellent when compared to the others. This school is truly awesome. There are so many electives and programs to choose from. There's going to be eight hours next year, instead of seven, giving students much more choices for their activities. If you have a problem with too much homework, choosing Study Hall is a good option. Plus, there are DJ parties, and MANY trips to plays for all the students, especially at the end of the year. You could come to the school early (arrive by bus, is the best choice), and students could hang out in the media center, courtyard, etc. This used to be a high school campus, but modified to prevent flooding for the safety of the student body.

Posted April 17, 2011

Very dissapointed with the way they handled admissions this year. It is not fair to the talented children who worked hard for their auditions. But than again with school budget cuts this year, who knows how long they will be able to continue bettering the art programs.

Posted March 31, 2011

I am currently a visual arts major at Bak and it is the most amazing and fun learning experience for me. Dont listen to the parents and students at other schools because they have never spent a school day here. Everybody that I meet here is really nice and talented. The academic and art teachers both are experts and exiteing too. If there is any student that goes here and hates it (look below, I promise) probably doesn't go here at all. But there is just one thing. Make sure you love the major you're trying out for is one that you are really good at and one that you love with all your heart. If you do, then good luck at BAK.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

453 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 59% in 2013.

449 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

450 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

439 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 56% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2013.

435 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 79% in 2013.

436 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

433 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Asian 7% 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music