Cardinal Newman High School

Private | 9-12

Living in West Palm Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $48,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,170.

Sweep tile

Posted June 1, 2012

Since these reviews reflect on the school, please take a minute to proof read and check your grammar before submitting a comment.

Posted May 5, 2012

I have been at Newman since freshman year. I love this school. It is a loving environment and a good learning place. As a matter of fact I went to public school for five years and asked my parents to take me out of those schools because I was becoming too lazy, not studying and well hanging out with the wrong crowd. I feel like Newman has brought me back. Yes it is a hard school, but you learn as much as you want to. There are students who do not like to study and they cheat, but if you are not like them, you learn a lot. I have already graduated and really like the school. I enjoyed everything except for my junior year in IB. I was bullied and went to the dean's office. They really helped me out. Now i am trying to get my little sister to go there because she wants to go to a public school, which i have been to and have had a bunch of bad experiences. Now like the poster below said "Sometimes parents don't understand that their kids are growing up and high school is part of their life, drugs and alcohol are in every high school its just whatever crowd your kid is a part of, judging Newman because of things like this is ridiculous."

Posted March 15, 2012

I am a student and I have been in private school all my life. Coming in as a freshman isn't easy for anyone no matter what school you go to. The worst that ever happened to me was being called a freshie and there is no freshman friday its not allowed. Now that i am a sophomore I realize how much this school is really preparing me for my life. Its not all that bad and every school has ups and downs but Im learning to make the right decisions here. Sometimes parents don't understand that their kids are growing up and high school is part of their life, drugs and alcohol are in every high school its just whatever crowd your kid is a part of, judging Newman because of things like this is ridiculous. I believe its a school of character and if you kid does their homework and study's the lowest grade you could get in a class is a C. It was hard for me to adjust in the begging but after seeing other schools from sports meets I realize how happy I am to be here. The school itself is pretty old and could use some work but all in all its more the people that matter than appearance. We also have dress down days for fundraising and all though there is a dress code its really not that bad.

Posted May 25, 2011

NO idea what former 3 responders are speaking to. I have 1 who graduated CN's IB program (w/a better pass rate than all the local competing schools-private or public) & 1 that's a sophomore entering the IB program. Both very different personalities,both have excelled in ways they never would've if placed in one of these huge, non descript public school mills where students are only known as a number. As an involved parent, neither of my children experienced any bullying, other than normal growing up experiences which i've heard are horrible at most public schools & many of the private schools. Staff @ CN is on top of everything that goes on (sometimes smothering) & very compasionate. In true Catholic manner, they bend over backwards for the underdog. The above comments may have come from a person who's child was a bully or not adhering to CN's morals/values. This is, & has been for 50 yrs, an amazing place for children to get a world class education (if capable) as well as learning compassion, morals & values. Some parents today need to learn problem just might stem from THEIR child. No other school in the area has consistently, for 50 years, produced so many successful people.

Posted April 4, 2011

Sadly, I think the school can't handle its load. Poor academics, poor administration, even poorer ethics. Please talk to other parents about their kids terrifying experiences at CN.

Posted February 12, 2011

As I am using this as a guide for a younger child that will not be attending CN HS. I am hoping more parents post on these websites. Having a senior at this school, I can confirm the previous post, and hope enrollement drops as parents visit this site. I feel a decent education was received, little college guidance was offered. While some teachers are caring and available, most are uninterested. The principal is spineless and has no personallity. Drinking on school property receives an in school suspension or goes unnoticed. Drinking on school trips also goes unnoticed. Teen pregnancy gets rewarded with duel enrollment and graduation accolades.

Posted February 11, 2011

II honestly feel that there a far better public schools than Cardinal Newman. My daughter was threatened the first week of school by another female student and it happened again on the third week of school. Nothing was done to assist my daughter after these incidents, but she sure got detention after detention for wearing her skirt five inches above the knee instead of four for laughing during mass or appearing to be chewing gum. The Dean s way of reprimanding students is generic, as if she was in robot mode. She doesn t attempt to address the real issues resorting instead to it is in the Handbook responses. The teachers are overworked and unhappy and some of them are unable to effectively discipline their students. In January my daughter was called stupid by her English teacher for giggling when reading out loud. This was a devastating incident witnessed by many students. When confronted, the teacher stated that she said that what my daughter was doing was stupid not that she was stupid. No apology was issued to either my daughter or us. I am not going to wait around for something else to happen.

Posted October 3, 2009

My daughter started this year as a freshman. I honestly feel this school is great. It is not easy but it is not impossible. There are many activities to choose from and I love the involvement of the parents. I feel my daughter is safe here.

Posted September 16, 2009

This school really prepares kids for college and the world!

Posted May 24, 2008

This school can be good, depending on who you are. if you are looking for a spanking new school with beautiful facilites and never-ending extracurriculars, than this may not be the school for you. academics are very good and the school has some very dedicated teachers, it is just the extracurriculars that leave much to be desired.

Posted April 23, 2008

My son is Graduating next month from Newman, and my wife and I are so proud of him and the school. There is a true family atmosphere over a Cardinal Newman that is not present in public high schools. Our daughter will be entering this fall as a Freshman. Go Crusaders!

Posted April 20, 2008

How can this school have such a great rating when it's falling apart. It's a St.Clare Alumni. There are no decent Catholic Schools to chose from. This is it. I would rather move closer to a school that has a more diverse culture. Watch who comes and goes, and if your not wearing Lily Pulitzer, then your not in the'In Crowd'. ( sorry Lily) Thank God, we have stong children that are not followers. If your kids can adapt to that self depricating lifestyle than this school is right up your alley. Many Grads can be found still local,in the bars and the ballfields, that says it all right there! Groom your children so that they may be lucky enough to experience Suncoast or Dreyfoos!

Posted December 13, 2007

My daughter is a sophomore. We have had a very positive experience.

Posted October 4, 2006

Outstanding school. Great safe place for my children

Posted March 1, 2006

The academics are rigorous with excellent teachers. There are a wide range of sports available for the students. The parents are very involved at this school.

Posted December 15, 2005

Cardinal Newman High School provides a quality education. The academic program is rigorous. The teachers are interested in the individual students and, in our experience, have been willing to go out of their way to be helpful. The schedule the students follow has them going to six out of their seven classes each day. This allows them one day in a cycle to catch up on the subject that is omitted for that day. The only thing I might question is that the students only have homeroom once a week. This does allow for shorter days four days a week but homeroom used to be the pulse of high school - where one forged relationships and were kept aware of what was going on in the school. It seems to work there though and I imagine if the students were asked, they would not want a change.

Two or more races 3% N/A
Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Palm Beach